It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reasons why I believe the sun is more luminous and why it matters to you

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by shortsticks

I read this post a few weeks ago and I always kept it in the back of my mind. I was at work the other day and I decided hey, it's pretty bright outside why don't I put this thread to the test. As I turned my head I was astonished that I couldn't even look towards the sun or in that same direction even, for it was so incredibly bright and glaring.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Bayy007

I've been trying to get more sun since my crash, the doctors said with all my broken bones and the pain meds the sun would help me metabolize the nutrients to heal my bones.
When I started I noticed I couldn't even look in the direction of the sun as well, but in time I could look that way.
Eventually I could look at the sun.
As soon as I stopped doing it daily I couldn't and would need to repeat.

This is a very interesting thread to say the least.

Oh one side if I stare at the sun with my eyes closed it seems like it warms my body faster and relieves some of my pain.
I can't believe I forgot to post that on this thread earlier.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bayy007

I read this post a few weeks ago and I always kept it in the back of my mind. I was at work the other day and I decided hey, it's pretty bright outside why don't I put this thread to the test. As I turned my head I was astonished that I couldn't even look towards the sun or in that same direction even, for it was so incredibly bright and glaring.
Omg,the suns about to go nova,or is beginning to expand into its red giant phase and our human lifetimes are so short,that no one really knows how long it takes for either one of those unstoppable processes to happen...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I'm no expert(applied physics, not astro) but a red shift for a star means less light output not more/brighter.

So I hope you were being sarcastic with your post.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Pigraphia

I dont know for sure either,but our sun is supposedly not the type of star thats able to go nova and if the sun is expanding,it would be getting closer to us and would then appear brighter? and the sun might flare up and become brighter for however long,as it begins its unstoppable expansion process and anyways,the sun could go nova and when the sun expands into its red giant phase and that will happen and when it does,mercury, venus and earth will exist no more and the truth is,that process could start to happen to our sun any day now,even today,not safely and securely billions of years from now,as is most often claimed,but the big problem is that we dont know how long it takes for the sun to go nova,or to expand into a red giant,does that invincible process happen within days, weeks, months, years, centuries? or even longer? whichever it is,whatever it may be,every single one of us both young and old,are living on borrowed time and nothing lasts forever,not even the stars...

edit on 21-4-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

We would see a change though.
A red star puts out much less light.
The premise of this thread is the sun is brighter.

Even if it were expanding in the process of a red shift it would put out less light even though it would be closer.

If the premise of this thread is correct and the sun is brighter than your theory on a red shift and expansion are wrong.
The two are mutually exclusive.

I'm not an expert on astro physics, but I at least know this.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The sun is most certainly brighter & more whiter than 20-30 years ago. I find myself wearing sunglasses to combat this, I never needed them to function outside before.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

But the sun might flare up,become brighter and remain that way for however long,as it begins its unstoppable expansion process and that increase in luminosity could last for a long time, perhaps hundreds, even thousands of years and we dont really know,because in comparison to the lifetime of stars,our lives are nothing more than fleeting fractions of moments in time...

edit on 21-4-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Last night on the way into down town LA I noticed I not only needed sunglasses I had to put the visor down as we were driving directly into the sun.

I'm just not sure if this is an age thing, or an issue with the sun itself.
I'm leaning towards age, everything changes as we age.
Time is relative, remember being a kid one week was an eternity now it's not enough time.
If it is an age thing, I think it's more perception than physically our eyes are weaker.

I have noticed it seems brighter, I just think it's on our parts not the suns.
The moon seems darker if anything to me, if the sun were brighter the moon would be as well.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Now you're just throwing in the kitchen sink to keep your point alive.

First you said the sun was red shifting and expanding.

Now you are saying the sun is burning brighter to get ready to expand.

Is it possible for stars to burn brighter in order to prepare for their expansion?
Yes.
However to do so they would consume more fuel at a faster rate, and would actually contract before they expand.

That contraction would be observable, and I have seen no articles or papers even on fringe sites that suggest the sun is contracting.

The sun may or may not be brighter, I'm leaning towards not myself.
My opinion aside, the reasons you give are not valid as they would be observable.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

When we are young,eveything appears as a new discovery for us,but when we are old,everything becomes a repeat of reruns we have seen so many times before...

Theres also the possibility that the sun may appear brighter because the earths atmosphere is changing, for when we are standing on earth,we are unable to look directly at the sun,we are only able to look at the sun through the earths atmospheres.So we dont really know what the sun looks like and we dont really know what might be happening to it either.Just like the sky isnt really blue,its actually clear,invisible and colorless,but it sure does appear to be colored blue,but its not...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I was JUST talking to my dad and husband about this yesterday. I have seen quite a change over the past 6 months or so. I'm in Colorado, at an elevation just short of 7000 feet, so I'm used to the sun being stronger here than when I lived in the Midwest. However, I've lived here for years now, and I have to say, it is definitely stronger and/or brighter. I have gotten a sunburn every time I've gone outside in this warm weather, just being outside for an hour. Sunscreen doesn't work and I have to wear it on my pale skin; it just doesn't work anymore on me or my children. I wear sunglasses every time outside or in the car and I have a batch of freckles under my bottom eyelid now, never had these here before in my life, right where the sunglasses cover. In December, I got a sunburn while riding passenger in my car during a 30 minute trip, and this is when there wasn't even snow on the ground. My husband, who gets very dark in the sun, has been burned and freckled under the eyes as well. While this isnt necessarily "proof" of anything, I will say nature itself, at least in my neighborhood, is reacting very strangely to the sun this spring.

We had a very early "greening" this spring. Last year, we didn't have leaves on trees until June. This year, we had full buds on trees at the end of January, beginning of February, and all of the trees have full leaves on them now, as of the past couple of weeks. We have already cut the grass 3 times and pulled weeds a couple of times in the past couple of weeks, yet not much moisture.

Now, this is the crazy part.... it is the parts of the grass, trees, bushes, and flowers in the SHADE, that get indirect light, that are growing wildly. The parts in the direct sunglight are bare or not growing very well, it's like the sun is too hot, too strong or something, like everything is being burned or radiated. It is like the opposite of it usually is and should be. I have never noticed this before, ever, while living here.

Lastly, the sun seems to be out later than usual for this time of year. Sunset is around 7:45 pm, but it is not completely dark (much color remains in the western sky and you can still see a bit outside) until well after 8:30 pm. This is what it should be like well into May. I wonder what the high point of summer will be like?

Any other Coloradans notice this or even anyone else notice this?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
Theres also the possibility that the sun may appear brighter because the earths atmosphere is changing, for when we are standing on earth,we are unable to look directly at the sun,we are only able to look at the sun through the earths atmospheres.So we dont really know what the sun looks like and we dont really know what might be happening to it either.Just like the sky isnt really blue,its actually clear,invisible and colorless,but it sure does appear to be colored blue,but its not...

I've already gone over the atmosphere issue.
While looking up my previous post I was shocked though to see that it was in response to a comment you had made...
My original post covered more than one topic so I'm just quoting the relevant parts.

Originally posted by Pigraphia
As for being or not being able to see a change in the sun due to looking through the atmosphere that isn't entirely right.
Since the make up of the atmosphere on any given day is dependent on prevailing wind patterns and your geographic area, particulate levels, pollution even humidity your standard of saying that the sun is or isn't brighter is wrong.
Does the atmosphere affect the way we view the sun yes, but if it were the only factor as you imply there would be an almost daily change.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Solution!

I can't believe I haven't thought of this.

We measure the light!

We get volunteers to purchase light detecting resistors we would need 3-5 per volunteer to get an average.
We measure the light over an entire year.

If we get volunteers from various Latitudes and Longitudes we could get a decent sample size.

If it is changing than over the course of 12-18 months there should be a measurable difference.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I found an article dating back to 2004, discussing that the sun has become hotter and brighter in the past 100-150 years: www.washingtontimes.com...

I know this is old, but still relevant, I think, especially considering this was 8 years ago and hardly as noticeable then. I couldn't find anything new anywhere else that wasn't posted to a forum.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I have thought the sun felt hotter the past two summers.. this past week it was unbearably hot.

Its nice to see I'm not crazy.. I swear its getting hotter by the day.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by brigand
I have thought the sun felt hotter the past two summers.. this past week it was unbearably hot.

Its nice to see I'm not crazy.. I swear its getting hotter by the day.
How long has it been now,since we first started hearing about the earths ozone layer fading away? I remember hearing about our aerosol cans helping to cause the depletion of the earths ozone layer back in the late 1970's,thats over 30 years ago and so i wonder just how depleted the ozone layer is by now? and if its almost gone,would tptb even tell us about it? Or would they just quietly and casually go down into their bunkers and leave us up on the surface to be burned and blinded by the suns increasing ability to penetrate more of its light through the earths ever thinning atmosphere?
edit on 24-4-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Last I heard the hole in the ozone layer was repairing itself.
Partially because the earth is freaking huge, and it can repair itself.
The other part was because of the 1987 Montreal(I believe) pact that band CFCs on a global scale.
No CFCs btw is why if you have noticed your car AC isn't as cold as it was when you were a kid.
The cooling agent from our childhoods was a big contributor to CFC in the atmosphere.

It's a long article but you can pick out the info here:
Nat Geo article.

Basically the hole in the ozone layer is gone, or going away.
Nothing to see here move along.

Oh and you want to see another way it's gone?
Check out SyFy channel, all their B movies, they consult with UCLA and USC(and other California colleges mine too) for the whole uncontrollable earth being messed up we are going to die.
IE (quakes, polar shift, volcanoes, solar flares, natural disaster basically).
There hasn't been a new Ozone layer movie in ages.
It's kind of interesting in fact, while the Main stream Media doesn't alwayse pick up scientific theories the B movie producers are alwayse willing to run with them.
So if you ignore the Hollywood over drama, and take the key points from the movie and head to Google, you can at least see what UCLA and USC professors think the next thing to kill us is.
Or at least the latest paper written that looks like it could make a good script.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I love your enthusiasm about this. It is absolutely enthralling to think maybe we as a planet are on the verge of something pretty big. I would love to keep track of this in a log and after substantial time passes maybe do a little research of found results.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Interesting. I am low in vitamins and my doctor told me I needed to walk in the sun more. So the sun may have some healing properties. I read a book once on how they glorified the sun and it had healing qualities and it was kind of a majestic sun. Anyways it was an interesting read. I will try to do as you have said. Look at it a little each day and see what results I can come up with.

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31 >>

join