It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Threat of dirty bombs/radiation reason for GMO crop promotion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
While watching Doomsday Preppers
, I got to thinking about radiation levels and their effects on crops. We know that GMO crops can be created by using radiation as one of the tools of manipulation.

Radiation-induced mutation breeding of plants was precursor to modern-day GMOs

I've done some research, and I can't seem to find much information on GMO crops being resistant to radiation poisoning itself. Following the logic behind GMO crops to begin with, DNA is taken from another plant/animal that is resistant to xyz and inserted into the DNA of the new crop - causing the crop to be resistant to xyz.

By treating a crop with radiation over time, wouldn't this cause it to become resistant to radiation itself?

Scientists have already been studying flax seed's ability to thrive near Chernobyl. Could they be using this seed's DNA or proteins to insert in GMO crops?

Source Link"Now we are preparing the manuscript from the second generation of plants where we compare protein abundances through seed development between plants grown in radioactive and control Chernobyl fields," Hajduch said.

With the ever increasing threat of radiation from solar flares, nuclear war, and dirty bombs, if GMO crops have been made resistant to radiation, I feel like this could be one of the main reasons for their creation. We know they cause many medical problems, but with the threat of total loss of food supply (yes, I like the good doomsday scenarios), I do suppose any crop would be better than none. Maybe this could be a reason for the huge acceptance and promotion of the crops that we know are unhealthy for us..right now.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by fictitious

Very interesting concept...so as we harvest these foods and become what we eat,we are selves will be able too dismiss radiation in the long run.It's hard to contemplate what has been planned from the beginning

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

I actually didn't even think of what you just proposed, but yes, even more "brilliant" the idea would be if this were true.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
While the plants may become more tolerant of radiation, they still absorb it, and thus would be toxic to eat.

There have been fantastic studies done on bio-remediation, where sunflowers were planted around Chernobyl. These sunflowers soaked up radiation and drew it out of the ground. They were then "harvested" and relocated and buried safely.

Varieties of cane and trees can clean water supplies and city runoff too.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

While the plants may become more tolerant of radiation, they still absorb it, and thus would be toxic to eat.

What if they were completely resistant and not just tolerant? Tolerance is one thing, but I'm wondering about the possibility of resistance - regardless of the level of exposure.

top topics

join