It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Great Depression? MIT researchers predict ‘global economic collapse’ by 2030

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It's coming. This is straight from Yahoo. Not an alternative site.

Next Great Depression? MIT researchers predict ‘global economic collapse’ by 2030

Well, now the mainstream is starting to flat-out say we are in some seriously deep sh#t.

A new study from researchers at Jay W. Forrester's institute at MIT says that the world could suffer from "global economic collapse" and "precipitous population decline" if people continue to consume the world's resources at the current pace.

Folks, we are talking MIT here. Talk about your solid reputation.

Still more from the story...

Produced for a group called The Club of Rome, the study's researchers created a computing model to forecast different scenarios based on the current models of population growth and global resource consumption. The study also took into account different levels of agricultural productivity, birth control and environmental protection efforts. Twelve million copies of the report were produced and distributed in 37 different languages.

Conclusion? To most of us, simply the obvious...

"There is a very clear warning bell being rung here," Turner said. "We are not on a sustainable trajectory."

Old news to many, but now it's "mainstream".

These guys are predicting by 2030, but I think things are going to get out of hand much earlier.

So, now that it's hitting "everyday" news, what are your thoughts?

Peace.

edit on 4-4-2012 by Hessling because: Needed a question mark.

edit on 4-4-2012 by Hessling because: Needed drama

edit on 4-4-2012 by Hessling because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I completely agree with your concluding statement that it will happen much sooner than 2030. I am quite amazed we have made it this far to tell you the truth. Hopefully with the mainstream media and with the merit of MIT, hopefully we as a country can come up with a solution to this inevitable problem.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
i agree. but i think its gonna happen much much sooner. way before we can use all the resources.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Feels like a slow motion collapse has already accelerated beyond repair...I concur the 2030 is way off for predictions.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObjectiveEgalitarian
I completely agree with your concluding statement that it will happen much sooner than 2030. I am quite amazed we have made it this far to tell you the truth. Hopefully with the mainstream media and with the merit of MIT, hopefully we as a country can come up with a solution to this inevitable problem.

Wow! That's your fourth reply as a member?

I simply couldn't agree more with your final statement as well. We can do this, if we work together. I feel it so strongly.

The question is...can we do it?

Thanks for the reply and a star to you!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Wow thanks! I have been a long time fan for ATS and decided to finally make an account. Your comments are very welcoming and greatly appreciated

As far as a viable solution goes, I believe the first step is to simply educate as much people as possible about the possible implications of these findings. The more people that can be educated on this matter, the more people will be willing to offer solutions to the matter as well as making a much more comfortable transition from the way things are now to the way things will have to be in the interest of sustainability and a positive future for all of us.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
'...by 2030' also leaves open the timeframe for it to occur any time before the estimate. Also, the modelling doesn't seem to take into account shocks and other unanticipated events.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
20:30 tonight more likely.

Claiming the system still has 18 years of life in it is nothing short of disinfo.

20 economic statistics to use to wake people up from their entertainment-induced comas

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I agree, I think it will happen much sooner than 2030.
I always get the feeling that people like these are constantly playing catchup.
Or perhaps they've given themselves a big enough margin to ensure they will be correct and say look how clever we are.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

2030 is the date the Illuminati plan to bring the whole Earth under 1 government. 2030 is their stupid Age of Aquarius.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
It seems to me that we are already in a state of world economic collapse, and all indicators are pointing towards things only getting worse.

Gas prices are only going to get worse, and eventually we will have to face the fact that the way our suburban sprawls are built is ridiculously inefficient.

What we have seen over the last several decades is that our corporations are ran by idiots, whose only skills are at being ruthless, sleaze ball politicians.

new topics

top topics

join