It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the point of Christianity?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
reply to post by windword

What did your revelation consist of and how do you know it came from a higher source?

How do you know whatever gave you the revelation that YHVH wasn't God, was not His adversary?

edit: and we've been okay this entire time. I've never once said I had any problem with you, and I've been having civilized conversation with you on here for a while now....
edit on 4/5/2012 by Iason321 because: (no reason given)

You just seemed so shocked to find out that I don't claim Christianity to be my religion.

My revelation came over time, slowly. I understand that you love your faith and it is important to you. I really don't want to reverse that. I do feel an extreme relief to know that hell isn't waiting for me, or that I might be rejected by god for some unconscious act that I have no control over.

Like you, I have a message to relay. That is "You are free and god doesn't hate you for excercising free will and critical thinking. God isn't what the Christian bible says it is.
edit on 5-4-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

What did your revelation consist of and how do you know it came from a higher source?

How do you know whatever gave you the revelation that YHVH wasn't God, was not His adversary?

edit: and we've been okay this entire time. I've never once said I had any problem with you, and I've been having civilized conversation with you on here for a while now....
edit on 4/5/2012 by Iason321 because: (no reason given)

You just seemed so shocked to find out that I don't claim Christianity to be my religion.

My revelation came over time, slowly. I understand that you love your faith and it is important to you. I really don't want to reverse that. I do feel an extreme relief to know that hell isn't waiting for me, or that I might be rejected by god for some unconscious act that I have no control over.

Like you, I have a message to relay. That is "You are free and god doesn't hate you for excercising free will and critical thinking. God isn't what the Christian bible says it is.

Stop. Listen to me for a second. God is EXACTLY what the Christian Bible says He is. Why? Because he DOESN'T hate you for exercising free will and critical thinking. It's ENCOURAGED. It's GIVEN. It's a GIFT.

I will say this though.. God isn't what RELIGION says He is. Don't listen to others, don't listen to pastors, they are easily corruptible - they effect millions of people, and Satan relishes the opportunity to get to the pastors, to get to the multitude.

Don't you get it? The reason I'm sitting here telling you all of this, is because I WANT you to go to Heaven. I WANT to see you there, I want to be a brother with you in Christ, forever. That is why we, those of us responding, like NOTurTypical and Iason321, continuing to talk about this. Because there is only one way to Heaven, believing in Christ. Believing that you have been forgiven of all your sins, by BELIEVING IN CHRIST. To hell with whatever you heard before, it's not about money, it's not about control. It's about Love.

Because to be honest? I've never met you, seen you face to face, but I do love you. Why? Because my God has done the same for me. He loved me first, just as He loved you from the beginning.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

You make a lot of presumptions. You can not declare that I never placed trust in Jesus? As I have told you before, in other threads, I was totally emmersed in my Pentecostal faith. I attended the famous "Jesus Camps" and was thoroughly indoctrinated. I spoke in tongues and interpretation were given.

I, like Carlton Pearson, had a revelation and saw through the manipulation and lies. The sound of the bell of truth will never be unrung for me. I can't put the tooth past back in the tube!

Many Pentecostal churches teach/coach their people how to start speaking in tongues. That's not proof of anything. I am being presumptuous you're correct about that, but it's what you say that leads me to that presumption. It appears your trust was in "Jesus +", not Jesus alone. "Oneness Pentecostalism" has a heretical Theology Proper. My pastor was trained Pentecostal. I love Pentecostals too and I desire a prayer language, but the Lord hasn't given it to me yet and He may never do that. Even Paul says not all speak with tongues so I'm cool with that if God doesn't. I love the gifts He's blessed me with anyways so I'm not upset about it.

Anyways, they believe God is one who appears in different forms at different times and in different situations, basically denying the Trinity.

It appears you were "trying your hardest" which is "Jesus + works", and mentioned tongues, which would be Jesus + experience + works"

That's not the gospel friend. It's just Jesus. Him alone, by trusting in Him alone. In His completed work at Calvary. "It's is finished!" in the Greek is Tetelestai, which means "paid in full". At that time when a person had a debt to society it was spent in jail and a certificate of debt was written up to be kept with the jailer. When that person served every day of their time "Tetelestai" was stamped on the certificate and given to the freed prisoner for them to keep to prevent double jeopardy for that particular crime.

Tetelestai means He did everything for you, there is nothing you need to do other than trust Him completely. Jesus plus anything ruins everything. And in fact, just get you cuts in the line to hell because of all the knowledge of the truth you had been given.

edit on 5-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Aw, aint that sweet. But really, don't worry about me or your duty to convert me.

I no longer believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, died for the sins of the world, rose from the dead or is god. That isn't going to change. I am, however, never going to lose my spirituality, or personal Holy Spirit.

I will, however, try to stop people in their tracks, when they try to be judge and jury to one's eternal peace based on biblical ignorance and bigotry. I have felt that kind of rejection and never want to see it imposed on another.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

How can you believe in a god that rejects someone seeking, in all sincerity, simply because they are ill informed by misguided people?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

You haven't been rejected.

God is patiently waiting for you to come back to Him.....

Why do you think you aren't dead yet?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

No, it is not true that he washes you clean and that's it. If you continue to sin then you have stains on your record anew and all those stains of sins would not allow you entrance into Heaven. You have to stop sinning and prove yourself a child of God by following his ways and not partaking in what he considers evil. Many people are being misled by those religious tracts that are passed out that don't further expound that you have to live holy and not partake in sin no more to be worthy to enter Heaven. But there is more that is considered sin in the eyes of God than what people think.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Aw, aint that sweet. But really, don't worry about me or your duty to convert me.

I no longer believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, died for the sins of the world, rose from the dead or is god. That isn't going to change. I am, however, never going to lose my spirituality, or personal Holy Spirit.

I will, however, try to stop people in their tracks, when they try to be judge and jury to one's eternal peace based on biblical ignorance and bigotry. I have felt that kind of rejection and never want to see it imposed on another.

You have free will, so those beliefs are just fine, noone is going to hate you for it....

The problem is, it doesn't matter how spiritual you are, if you deny all those things, you have no eternal life in you and you're gonna perish....

Faith without works is dead, and works without faith is dead.

You need both faith AND works

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Iason321

It's not god's rejection I'm referring to. It's people, like yourself, who refuse to allow god to be expressed differently than you expect. You keep criticizing and chastising those whose opinions are different than your's.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by EfficientP

What is sin? The glory of God not honored, the holines of God not reverenced, the greatness of God not admired, the power of God not praised, the truth of God not sought, the wisdom of God nt estemed, the beauty of God nt treasured, the goodness of God not savored, the faithfulness of God nt trusted, the commandments of God nt obeyed, the justice of God nt respected, the wrath of God nt feared, the grace of God nt cherished, the presence of God nt prized, the person of God nt loved...that is sin

That's John Piper's definition. Pretty good, no?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

You have free will, so those beliefs are just fine, noone is going to hate you for it....

The problem is, it doesn't matter how spiritual you are, if you deny all those things, you have no eternal life in you and you're gonna perish....

Faith without works is dead, and works without faith is dead.

You need both faith AND works

I don't, can't and won't believe that.

EDIT: Look, I'll never be 21 again and I can't go backwards to believe something that has been reasoned to be untrue, after thorough introspection.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

to love one another more...

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

There is nothing opinion based in what we're discussing.

It's a matter of Truth vs Lies, Reality vs nonreality.

I am not making things up out my rear end, I am explaining Truths to you that have been revealed to us by the Most High.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Don't you get it? The reason I'm sitting here telling you all of this, is because I WANT you to go to Heaven. I WANT to see you there, I want to be a brother with you in Christ, forever. That is why we, those of us responding, like NOTurTypical and Iason321, continuing to talk about this.

From my favorite preacher:

"If sinners will be damned, at least let them leap over our bodies. And if they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees, imploring them to stay. If Hell must be filled, at least let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go there unwarned and unprayed for."

Charles Haddon Spurgeon, "The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit", Volume VII, pg. 11.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Well, that your opinion, isn't it?

How do you know it doesn't come from that which comes from the "most low?" It seems to me the doctrine of punishment for disbelief of what goes against nature is most low, that it goes against one's free will and ability for critical thinking.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

How can you believe in a god that rejects someone seeking, in all sincerity, simply because they are ill informed by misguided people?

We were warned by Christ they would infiltrate the church. We were warned numerous times, by Him, by Peter, by Paul, by Jude and by John. The early church fathers warned repeatedly what the Gnostics were doing with their Bibles and scriptures at Alexandria. Warned repeatedly and quite effectively. And we who have had light and knowledge of truth and rejected it face FAR greater condemnation than those who never heard. I will receive FAR greater condemnation if I am in error because I am teaching others. (James 3:1) It's with great prayer and trepidation I teach others the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Because He did it to Adam and Eve. You nor I are any better than them friend. And you're not dead, if you are Christ's you're merely backslidden now. He's not just the author, He is also the perfecter of our faith. The rapture is soon approaching, I'd rather have you going with me than running to an empty church when it happens along with the others who fell away.

I don't hate you bro, not mad at you either. But you have been deceived by the father of deceit. I'm coming against him and his lies, not you, glory to God.

Can you please watch that video series detailing how we got our different Bible versions? And they are VERY different. I threw out my NIV years ago that I was "saved" with in my former church in my teenage years. I did NOT learn the gospel in that Bible or in that church. Not to say that God doesn't save, He does despite that wretched translation from Westcott and Hort, but it's quite difficult to grow in Christ.

Remember the parable about the sower and the birds?

edit on 5-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

It's not god's rejection I'm referring to. It's people, like yourself, who refuse to allow god to be expressed differently than you expect. You keep criticizing and chastising those whose opinions are different than your's.

It isn't a difference of opinion. Do you believe, honestly, that there are other ways to Heaven? Does 2 + 2 ever equal anything other than 4, in base 10? There is only ever ONE universal truth to anything. There is only one way, one truth, one life. No others have claimed to be it, other than the Christ - does that make him the way? No, what makes him the only way is the resurrection.

Paul said it best, 1 Corinthians 15:14-22 -

And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men.

But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Can you please watch that video series detailing how we got our different Bible versions? And they are VERY different. I threw out my NIV years ago that I was "saved" with in my former church in my teenage years. I did NOT learn the gospel in that Bible or in that church. Not to say that God doesn't save, He does despite that wretched translation from Westcott and Hort, but it's quite difficult to grow in Christ.

No, I don't think so. I'm done with indoctrination. I have my position, it won't change. Watching another propaganda video isn't going to change me, just anger me more.

Please stop telling me that I didn't get it, so, that's why I turned away. I got It and I rejected it. Flat out, plain and simple, my logical mind, that god gave me, rejected Christian philosophy.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Yes but this websites motto is to deny ignorance.

We are supposed to dig deep into things, and find out the truths of our reality.

uH...herm.....Ahem......
But, Iason, you try to steer people away from digging deep. Those who try to 'dig deep' you condemn......
those who have dug deeply state their cases, and you tell them to shush, or stop, or start going along with your own agenda.

You, in my opinion, are promoting ignorance, by routinely condeming, shushing, bullying those who are attempting to provide resources for those who wish to be educated prior to making a firm decision.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join