What is the point of Christianity?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

The point of Christianity isn't to be perfect as you put it. It's about striving to be as close to perfect as humanly possible. It's impossible to live your entire life without sin. God doesn't punish us for our faults as long our attempts are 100%.
And you have the whole idea of repentence completely wrong.

"You can repent and not be saved, but you can't be saved unless you repent"

I am not saying anything about perfection.
All I am saying is that the bible asks you follow all of it and yet no one does this.

It is said that god will forgive anything, which makes the rules irrelevant in the first place.

It’s a circle of contradiction.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Where does it say God forgives anything?

And where does the Bible say you have to follow all of it?

You have yet to provide a single shred of evidence for any of the false claims you've accused the Holy Bible of.
For someone who frequents a website who's motto is to deny ignorance, your username is proving exactly what you are: a member of an ignorant species.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321

That is a false statement.

Have you read what I've posted?
I am talking about the bible.
Which asks its followers to follow all of its words as to get into heaven.
Followers today do not follow all of its words.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Can you address any of my posts, or are you willing to admit you have no argument and the Bible is nothing like you claim it to be?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Where does it say God forgives anything?

And where does the Bible say you have to follow all of it?

You have yet to provide a single shred of evidence for any of the false claims you've accused the Holy Bible of.
For someone who frequents a website who's motto is to deny ignorance, your username is proving exactly what you are: a member of an ignorant species.
I didn't think the idea of confession was up for debate? It is said that all sins will be forgiven if you confess is it not?

God is clear that you must follow his word.

You are simply procrastinating due to the fact you can not answer my question.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies

Originally posted by GmoS719

The point of Christianity isn't to be perfect as you put it. It's about striving to be as close to perfect as humanly possible. It's impossible to live your entire life without sin. God doesn't punish us for our faults as long our attempts are 100%.
And you have the whole idea of repentence completely wrong.

"You can repent and not be saved, but you can't be saved unless you repent"

I am not saying anything about perfection.
All I am saying is that the bible asks you follow all of it and yet no one does this.

It is said that god will forgive anything, which makes the rules irrelevant in the first place.

It’s a circle of contradiction.

First off, let me start by saying you must not know much about the bible.
Who say's God will forgive anything?
There is such a thing as an Eternal sin (unforgivable sin) and if you knew just a small part of what you were talking about you would know what I'm refering to with out having to google it.

Second, Asking God to forgive you is NOT repentence. Repentence is Asking for forgiveness AND turning your back on sin ; NOT continuing to sin. So you're argument holds no weight.

Your view of the Bible is that of a ignorant child attending sunday school.
Read it, and you'll realize you are wrong.
edit on 4-4-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)
edit on 4-4-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

How am I the one procrastinating?

I'm losing patience with you and I don't know if you're trolling me or being serious...
edit on 4/4/2012 by Iason321 because: losing patience and irritated with ignorance...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Its about growing and overcoming this world, and if you do, you inherit all things: the love and power of God.
If you chose to live for self and ego you shall not inherit the kingdom of God; that means while you are alive now. Whatever you don't overcome in this life, you don't receive the blessings that come along with it not only in this life but the one to come.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Its about the time you have now. That's why you have 80 to 120 yrs to overcome.Do you want to raise your consciousness to be as God's Son bringing the kingdom or to live for self. To be or not to be?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

What is the point of Christianity if I can do anything I want, break any of gods rules, not even follow the bible and all I have to do in return is apologize for my sins.

Essentially I could kill every single person on the planet and get into heaven by just saying sorry?

I mean doesnt that defeat the purpose.

It is clear to see this is a problem by the fact that all followers of the bible don't actually follow it like the bible asks, break its rules on a daily basis and yet claim they are true followers?

Why is it that you don't have to follow the bible to follow the bible?
edit on 4-4-2012 by IgnorantSpecies because: (no reason given)

Your premise is incorrect. God is not asking you to apologize. What does He need form you? This question is answered by something called bread of shame.

Ask yourself a few questions: What do you do to produce the world around you? Nothing. What do you do to make your hair grow; your stomach digest; the sun shine; the earth turn, or your blood circulate? Nothing. What do we do as humans? We move and we think. That's it. Everything else has been produced for us. If you disconnect your thought and your movement, nothing can be accomplished. If you take away your body from your thoughts, you cannot move. In other words, we are not the owner of any of it. We participate because it has been provided.

When you realize that your soul is not your possession, but has been given to you (something from nothing), then you start to see what bread of shame represents. God has given you everything. What have you done to return the bread? This is the idea behind humility. We owe God all we think we have in this world. All of it is a gift and we owe it all to God for giving us this gift of life. We are all equal in this respect. We all move and we all think. The quality of this movement and thought determines our path in life and the end result of a life lived.

You are asking the questions with an incorrect premise. Essentially, you are asking, "What do I own God?" Isn't it obvious?

Your second premise is that you can just apologize for being full of pride against Him; for not returning something of equal value back to God. A person with any sense of the world around him needs to understand that God gave the entire experience here for our benefit. The point is not about you. It's about what God has done for you.

Your sin in life affects others, not just you. If you smoke, you get cancer. This is because you took something that created a debt. When you take a reward, you are a thief. God created the universe to answer this stealing with a debt to be paid. We cannot repay this to God. Again, we have bread of shame. We are thieves.

What is the answer? The Bible tells us that our works cannot pay God back for our sin. Again, God comes to our aid and gives to us. He comes here to Earth as our kinsman (Jesus) and dies (suffers) on a cross for us. Again, bread of shame. He did this to free us from our fallen state. This is God giving to us. There is a secret in all of this that is shown by example.

If we follow God's example, we see Him continually giving. Giving must suffer work for reward. Taking can only grab the reward first, causing a debt. God does not take. Instead, our choices take from us by causing a debt. His example was in Jesus. Jesus told us to turn the other cheek, bless those who curse us, feed the hungry, sell all we have and feed the poor. You are correct in one thing. None of us can live up to that standard. So again, what's the answer if we are unable to pay our debt?

Two negatives multiplied make a positive.

Consider this example: In mathematics, if you owe three people $10, then you are negative $30 (3 X -10 = $-30). If the lenders then say, "We forgive you for this debt because we love you," then you are free from that debt by another negative. You have just had three subtractions of -10, making you three positives of $10 (-3 X -$10). Your debt is -30 + 30 = Zero. Jesus died a horrible death to pay our debt, walking us back to a positive value.

Giving creates reward. Taking creates debt. Can you answer your questions now? I can answer them for you. Your choices matter.

Buddha

Chapter 1 - Choices

We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
Speak or act with an impure mind
And trouble will follow you
As the wheel follows the ox that draws the cart.

You are the OX. The cart is your burden in life. The wheel turns until you see God and understand truth.

Jesus said, "You must be born again." The wheel will turn until you see God and understand why truth matters. It's not about you. It's about others. You are one of the others and so is God. Love can only give. God is love. Love keeps no record of wrongs. 1 Corinthians 13. Does this mean you walk away if truth is not embraced? No. God demands our faith backed by works. If we do not demonstrated our faith in Him by giving to others by His example, we are not His. In this case, Love can only protect His own against the thieves.

God separates the light from the darkness. We make the choice where we stand.

edit on 4-4-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I completely agree with your concluding statement that people can follow morals without the need for religion. I was just pointing out that the Jesus character in Christianity from my understanding is benevolent and if people lived by his virtues, non denominational Christianity would have the potential to be a good belief system.

Ideally, a great belief system would be one that holds truth to high regard as well as ethics and to strive to live on modern moral principles which is consequently why I am an agnostic atheist.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObjectiveEgalitarian

Ideally, a great belief system would be one that holds truth to high regard as well as ethics and to strive to live on modern moral principles which is consequently why I am an agnostic atheist.

And I agree completely with your words here.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Your view of the Bible is that of a ignorant child attending sunday school.

LOL thank you, that just made my day...I got a good laugh out of that. (yes this is a compliment)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Our God is Jesus and we obey his commands because he is/was Yahweh in the flesh. This is what we believe in its simplest form, Jesus is Yahweh. No point in me getting deeper because this is another troll thread.
edit on 5-4-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The bible does say that we will be forgiven for our sins, but there is a catch, you must be TRULY sorry for the offense. No one is perfect , except the creator, so it is easy to say that we are all guilty of sinning. We are all going to be judged on our actions, but what is more important is our intentions. For example, a person purposely and maliciously sets out to hurt someone, versus a person who accidentally and unintentionally caused harm to another. If our intentions are honorable, so to will be our reward.

PLPL

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

That is a false statement.

Have you read what I've posted?
I am talking about the bible.
Which asks its followers to follow all of its words as to get into heaven.
Followers today do not follow all of its words.

There is no place in the scriptures that say followers must follow all of its words as to get into heaven. This premise is false.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Iason321

Which rules are you speaking of?

I suppose he was talking about about these rules, things you are not to do, ever.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Iason321

I try to adhere to them as much as possible.

Iason, I hate to single you out again and again, and I mean no harm of hate in any way. Do you really follow the 10 thou shalt nots as laid out by Moses in the OT?

7. Thou shalt have none other gods before me.
Do you follow this law, or do you hold up a man in place of the God who gave this order? You cannot have it both way, either a man can become God, or Not.

8. Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth
Have a crucifix on your body? Cross on your Church? These are graven images and likenesses of things associated with the Christian faith.

16. Honor thy Father and thy Mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Think about this for a second...."Honor thy father and thy mother"...if God is the Father, then who is the Mother? I know! The Goddess! Do you honor the Mother? Or do you honor a Man?
Do you really adhere to them?

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The Constantine Christianty is about:

1. Making Pacifists that won't buck the Empire.
2. Painting Jesus as Nimrod/Tammuz to gain support for Empire and Satan.
3. Making wars for Empire by using religious differences to promote them.
4. NWO by breaking up other nationalisms to promote only one based on Empire and rule of Jerusalem.

edit on 5-4-2012 by MagnumOpus because: Short and simple---the old Babylon Talmud plan

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Some are of the belief that we are currently in the Church Age and are presently under Grace. This has been debated myriad times here on ATS and elsewhere to no avail. But nonetheless, here are some thoughts from Galatians 2...

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, [is] therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.

19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness [come] by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join