It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An article about ATS on Uncyclopedia, the satire site!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
whoever wrote the ED article must've gotten seriously debunked and holds a great bitterness. lol

Sadly that could be a description of almost every ED editor, or every ED article, ever. Both sites started out with a similar concept, but where Uncyclopedia focused on quality control, ED focused on profitability and, as result, site hits, which then became a motivator for keeping poor content.

And as for the Australian administrators - everyone knows Australia is full of criminals and you can never trust them. Why do you think the show was called Oz?
edit on 5-4-2012 by PuppyOnTheRadio because: My own stupidity

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

ED ceased being funny many years ago which is why this Uncyclopedia article is so good. The style is still the same but it is with real humour and no overdose of scantily clad women and foul language.

That "scantily clad woman" is a dude...

edit on Apr 5th 2012 by Djarums because: vulgar link removed

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidWillts

My bad, but it just goes to show how little scantily clad women or men turn my head these days.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

www.abovetopsecret.com...

let her know, im sure she would appreciate the honesty.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

ED ceased being funny many years ago which is why this Uncyclopedia article is so good. The style is still the same but it is with real humour and no overdose of scantily clad women and foul language.

That "scantily clad woman" is a dude...
*SNIP*

ah yes. please take note, the write up on me there is absolutely false
ive never claimed to be abducted by aliens nor do i believe aliens are abducting people.

while the OPs satire is actually funny, the ED one is made up of crap and horribly mean things said about very nice people :down:
edit on April 5th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

edit on April 5th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I thought the one on ED was pretty funny, they wrote some funny things and nowhere does it say that ED is supposed to be fact based. Their description of the ATS Religion,UFO and Secret societies seems to be dead on accurate.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

It's easy to say very mean things in satire - I reserve my fire for folks like Todd Palin and the Supreme Court (my recent Supreme Court article - some links don't work, it's the Supreme Court UnNews at or near the top of Uncy's main page on the right - is only the second time I've used naked pics on the site). The trick is to say nice things about nice people, and make it funny!

Thanks for all the flags and stars and geese. Appreciated.
edit on 5-4-2012 by Aleister because: link

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The "article" at ED is repulsive.

Satire is one thing.

The "article" at ED is not satire. It mocks our membership and staff in a hostile and personal manner. The author(s) also find it hilarious to make fun of two members of this community who passed away and urges others to make jokes about those two deceased members.

That's not funny.

Links to that site will be removed from any post on ATS.

At least the uncyclopedia one was funny. The ED one is not. What a pitiful existence one must lead in order to find it funny to mock the dead. Pathetic.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

Thanks for not minding the uncy article, I was hoping people wouldn't mind the jokes but would get the logic behind them, and the reason for the article itself (to share links to interesting threads here). I think I've only looked at ED twice, didn't like what I saw, and ran back to uncyclopedia. I'm guilty of some hit-jobs on specific famous people there, and on products like Boone's Farm and Rolex who had publicity people and spammers edit articles to sell their products, but mostly it's a playful if sometimes gross place which allows writers to share underreported data.
edit on 5-4-2012 by Aleister because: edit

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

...Todd Palin and the Supreme Court (my recent Supreme Court article - some links don't work...

UnNews:U.S. Supreme Court allows everyone to go naked

I can't believe I followed you over here, Al, just to fix your coding again.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
The "article" at ED is repulsive.

Satire is one thing.

The "article" at ED is not satire...

Most of ED wasn't. Uncyclopedia tries to keep things satirical, where by satire you refer to making light of things by the use of exaggeration and humour. ED was a forum for posting abusive stuff about everything.

For purposes of disclosure: I'm an editor at Uncyc so may have a personal bias, but I chose to edit at Uncyc instead of ED due to personal taste.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I guess it greatly depends on what you think is funny. The article at ED may seem a bit harsh for most but I think any relative of Martin Luther King or JFK could say the same thing about the articles on Encyclopedia.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I've never read the JFK one. The MLK page is a satire on how extreme right-wingers at FOX News - or more accurately, their fan base - would write the page. It manages to honor King as well, if you read between the lines. I wonder if there is coding which would allow someone to do a page with a hidden page written between the lines?!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Not the point. The point was a friend or family member would not find it funny, the same way the ATS article on ED is not considered funny.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

...It manages to honor King as well, if you read between the lines. I wonder if there is coding which would allow someone to do a page with a hidden page written between the lines?!

I could probably do that. As for Willty's comment - I tend to agree. The humour here doesn't work as well as I would like. The concept was also used at Michael Jackson page but from a very different angle, and there I think it does work. MLK is also on my hitlist for fixing, but that's a lower priority than Art or History. Not due to the offensiveness, but a priority by importance. (Albeit a subjective importance.)
edit on 5-4-2012 by PuppyOnTheRadio because: bitly link changed to full link

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
While ED is more an adult atmosphere where Unencyclopedia is meant to be child friendly. They both fill different niches but unencyclopedia is relies heavily on people that have been kicked out of places like something awful and ED.
ED has standards and requires some effort to write an article, while on Unecncyclopedia anything goes as long as grandma would approve. To write an article on ED you would have to research a relevant subject somewhat and then document the lulz.
On unencyclopdia you would just spam random mother approved text until you run out of room or willpower. Like if you were going to write an article on basketball you would write.

"Basketball?!! I like basketball, what about you? I like turtles, what about you? My dad has 6 toes, did you know that dooode? Have you ever known how much excess fat a whale has, it can feed an entire ecosystem in the planet Tarnania. Speaking of which, how do you like duck tape cause I like the gray ones. i don't like black ties. So anyways, am I the only one who notices the springs in a bed can make you jump higher? I wuz like "no wai"! My brother is in a fraternity, did you know?....

It is really like comparing Richard Pryor with sesame street.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

That's not an accurate description, not at all. The site has almost 30,000 pages, many of those written years ago, and a random search will eventually bring you to some very bad writing. Uncy is going through its pages one by one and getting rid of thousands this past year. There is only one ED writer I know who came to Uncy, and he is a wonderful writer. Lots of the writers are really really good, and write professionally as well as edit at Uncy. The feature pages are where lots of the good stuff rests. And no, not grandma or child friendly either, it's a very adult site where good writing is welcome and enjoyed, but someone has to have a wide acceptance level.

The article this thread was originally set up to talk about was vandal attacked very early this morning (UTC time) by either one or a series of logged-in and IP vandals. Some people don't like ATS, and aren't happy about the page not tearing this site apart like ED did. The page was then protected so IP's couldn't edit, which ended that foray.

And today, right now, my Supreme Court page is featured both on the feature and on the top of the UnNews column - if you act now you can look at the main page and see two pics of Hilary Duff giving a saucy look from both sides of the page. Grandma wouldn't approve.
edit on 6-4-2012 by Aleister because: edit

edit on 6-4-2012 by Aleister because: edit

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

That's not an accurate description. The site has almost 30,000 pages, many of those written years ago, and a random search will eventually bring you to some very bad writing.

Yeah because it is filled with bad writing, you basically just proved my point for me.

Uncy is going through its pages one by one and getting rid of thousands this past year.

Yeah, because it is full of crap writing.

Their is only one ED writer I know who came to Uncy, and he is a wonderful writer.

Two things.
1.He got kicked out of ED-proving me right once again
2.You have only been there for one week

The feature pages are where lots of the good stuff rests. And no, not grandma or child friendly either, it's a very adult site where good writing is welcome and enjoyed, but someone has to have a wide acceptance level.

Yes a wide acceptance level, as in it has to be mom and grandma safe.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

None of what you say is accurate. Why are you doing that? OK, why don't you log in as a member and write a good satirical article about a vital topic or a recent news event, or a conspiracy topic. Keep on working on pages there until you get one featured. Then come back here and report on your personal research of what it was like both writing for the site and getting to know the people there.

As for the writer from ED, of course he was not kicked off that site. You could say he graduated to uncy.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

OK, why don't you log in as a member and write a good satirical article about a vital topic or a recent news event, or a conspiracy topic.

Because i wouldn't be caught dead there, if you just want to recruit there are tons of places you can do that. If i wanted random, I would play Madlibs with my senile grandpa. But mostly i don't like the shenanigans they get involved in.
Unencyclopedia drama involves school girls

www.nzherald.co.nz...
On one website, two teachers from one elite Auckland school have been named and accused of sexual abuse of students, while on another site "13-year-old students" have posted photographs of themselves in bikinis asking to be rated.

School girls FTL

ED drama involves Scotland Yard

www.bbc.com...
A teenager has been arrested in the UK in a joint Scotland Yard and FBI probe into the hacking of websites.

The man, named locally as Ryan Cleary, 19, was arrested in Wickford, Essex. Police have not identified him.

Scotland Yard said the raid followed a series of distributed denial of service attacks.

It comes days after hackers from a group called Lulz Security (LulzSec) attacked a number of websites both in Britain and the United States.

Scotland Yard would not say if Tuesday's raid was connected to LulzSec but said it had been a "pre-planned, intelligence-led" operation.

Like I said 2 different worlds, sesame street and the Vegas strip.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join