It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black cop shot 28 times by white cops - and accused of murder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Black cop shot 28 times by white cops - and accused of murder

rt.com

Howard Morgan, a former police officer with the Chicago, Illinois Police Department, was shot 28 times by fellow cops in 2005 after being caught driving the wrong direction down a one way street. According to the cops, Morgan met the responding officers by utilizing a weapon of his own, although he argues otherwise. Morgan would go on to be found not guilty by a jury on three counts, including discharging his weapon, and although they deadlocked when deciding on attempted murder, a separate jury went on to convict him of that charge this past January.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Bizarre story, but I don't understand how he is facing the attempted murder charge. I think shooting someone 28 times...no matter what the reason is either murder or attempted murder.

The Change.org petition also argues that the constitutional guarantee of a “speedy trial” was not established, noting that it took nearly seven years and several trials to get a conviction in court.

Either way this story just reeks of all sorts of cover ups and god knows what else. What are you thoughts?

It's a bit like surviving a plane crash, only to have landed in a den of lions.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by goldcoin

I really don't know what to think except there appears to have been someone or something watching over this man. Shot 28 times? I don't think I would survive that at all. I hope he finds peace and justice and that the truth comes out. 7 trials to find a man guilty smells of something nasty in any case.

edit on 4/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

edit on 4/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I can't believe that man is alive, but of course I'm not surprised that active duty police officers claim no responsibility. They are always innocent, even if found guilty, most times.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
HE LIVED!!?! He puts 50 cent to shame

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by goldcoin

lol
y'all must be a young'un, honeychile
aint no such thing as self-defense for colored folk

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
WOW! Shot 28 times and he survives! That's pretty bloody amazing. This whole thing just stinks of all sorts of corruption and lies. I wonder if it was some kind of personal vendetta thing? Maybe he was a whistleblower or something?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I hope the people will rally behind this man.......Its an obvious case of persecution by prosecution....
Typical police brutality.......................

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

And there is no such thing as a HATE CRIME for black on white violence. Get over yourself and grow up. Racism persists because of people like you.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Come on people! Don't let this thread descend into racial mud-slinging like so many other threads here lately. A man was shot by some other men who were (supposedly at least) his colleagues. Let us have compassion and respect for each other and the victim. The truth will come out eventually, no need to feed unnecessary fires here, or make humourous posts. I would guess he was a Serpico type but without more details it is hard to be sure what the reason for the shooting was.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by rockledr

lol that's my line

www.amptoons.com...

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack

Daily effects of white privilege
Elusive and fugitive
Earned strength, unearned power

"I was taught to see racism only in individual acts of meanness, not in invisible systems conferring dominance on my group"

Peggy McIntosh

Through work to bring materials from women's studies into the rest of the curriculum, I have often noticed men's unwillingness to grant that they are overprivileged, even though they may grant that women are disadvantaged. They may say they will work to women's statues, in the society, the university, or the curriculum, but they can't or won't support the idea of lessening men's. Denials that amount to taboos surround the subject of advantages that men gain from women's disadvantages. These denials protect male privilege from being fully acknowledged, lessened, or ended.

Thinking through unacknowledged male privilege as a phenomenon, I realized that, since hierarchies in our society are interlocking, there was most likely a phenomenon of while privilege that was similarly denied and protected. As a white person, I realized I had been taught about racism as something that puts others at a disadvantage, but had been taught not to see one of its corollary aspects, white privilege, which puts me at an advantage.

I think whites are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege, as males are taught not to recognize male privilege. So I have begun in an untutored way to ask what it is like to have white privilege. I have come to see white privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets that I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was "meant" to remain oblivious. White privilege is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, codebooks, visas, clothes, tools , and blank checks.

Describing white privilege makes one newly accountable. As we in women's studies work to reveal male privilege and ask men to give up some of their power, so one who writes about having white privilege must ask, "having described it, what will I do to lessen or end it?"

After I realized the extent to which men work from a base of unacknowledged privilege, I understood that much of their oppressiveness was unconscious. Then I remembered the frequent charges from women of color that white women whom they encounter are oppressive. I began to understand why we are just seen as oppressive, even when we don't see ourselves that way. I began to count the ways in which I enjoy unearned skin privilege and have been conditioned into oblivion about its existence.

My schooling gave me no training in seeing myself as an oppressor, as an unfairly advantaged person, or as a participant in a damaged culture. I was taught to see myself as an individual whose moral state depended on her individual moral will. My schooling followed the pattern my colleague Elizabeth Minnich has pointed out: whites are taught to think of their lives as morally neutral, normative, and average, and also ideal, so that when we work to benefit others, this is seen as work that will allow "them" to be more like "us."

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
How about we re-read the story and leave out the color of the individuals involved? Let's leave the racial spin out of it and then see if the guy was picked on or if he used his status as a police officer to try and get away with doing what he wanted.

Also, if the guy was shot 28 times and survived, I would wager that he was shot in non-vital areas, indicated that they were trying to stop him, not kill him.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

the serpico angle is probably it
hopefully more details will become available

as for my other posts here

just denying ignorance

being multi ethnic
i don't judge others by skin color or race
doesn't mean that in the real world i haven't had to deal forcefully with those who would judge me on that basis

ever see a cat, dog, or other animal do that?
that should tell you a lot about bigots and racists
even an animal has more sense and knows better

reply to post by FissionSurplus

then again that may be it as well
and have to agree, op should have left out color
the case is of interest in and of itself
edit on 4-4-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: reply to post by FissionSurplus

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Hey, I learnt the hard way too. Ever tried moving to a country when you couldn't speak a single word of the language?
It took me 5 years to learn Dutch. Shift work and a limited social life do not a quick language learner make. First the aural, then the oral, then the written. 20 years later I can talk the hind leg off a donkey in the native lingo but I still got an accent.

As for animals, I learn from mine every day but I'm a slave to her (cat) rhythm.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

lol my grandparents actively refused to teach me spanish
"you arr amerrikan, you spik inglish"
then when grandma couldn't handle new york winters we moved to PR
where i was constantly ridiculed for my poor grasp of the language and referred to as gringo
nowadays i speak it perfectly, but due to my neighbors being mostly dominicans...

however i never got past C- in school and college spanish courses, due to a combination of tin ear and a slight touch of dyslexia i can't accent to save my life.
in harlem i'd have my daily choice of n-word, spik, yid, or whitey as i could pass for one, nowadays when i'm
in the states people ask me what tribe i'm from[none] as i'm a reddish brown now, however, my step mom was bostonian from a germanic family and once treated me to a 4 hour lecture in which i learned that she was 1/8th mohawk and what was Verbotten while we were living under the same roof, especially playing cowboys and indians, never mind that i never picked cowboys.
if the folks back in harlem had found out that i'm sicilian on my mom's side of the family...

back on topic:reply to post by FissionSurplus

Also, if the guy was shot 28 times and survived, I would wager that he was shot in non-vital areas, indicated that they were trying to stop him, not kill him.

rt.com...

after four *snip* police officers shot him nearly 30 times and left him for dead.

edit on 4-4-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

That sounds like a complicated mess at the very least. I'm white so you can't see my foreigness till I open my mouth. English, Welsh, Irish, Viking, Anglo-Saxon, Norman, Roman blood here at a random guess but when speaking Dutch it's the facial muscles that count and as I came here at an adult age, they just refuse to cooperate sometimes.

new topics

top topics

join