It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was $12,000 A Restaurant Tip Or Drug Money?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Was $12,000 A Restaurant Tip Or Drug Money?

minnesota.cbslocal.com

MOORHEAD, Minn. (AP/WCCO) — A waitress in Minnesota is suing after $12,000 was left at her restaurant table — she says it was a tip but police say, it’s drug money, according to The Forum.

The lawsuit was filed in Clay County District Court and alleges that the waitress found a box, left at her table at the Fryn’ Pan restaurant in Moorhead. She said she followed the customer to her car to return the box but the woman told her to keep it.

The waitress said she found bundled rolls of cash inside the box, totaling $12,000.

She said even though she has five children and could use
(visit the link for the full news article)

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
So she gets a giant tip, has 5 kids, barely makes any money, CALLS the police, but they still take it from her "thinking" its drug money. She waited the 90 days for it to be reclaimed, and they then tell her, nope were classifying it as drug money...

I cant think of a better place for drug money to go than a working mom of 5 kids. Cant believe the cops are keeping it. Good for her to sue for it back.

minnesota.cbslocal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+18 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

So what if it's drug money.. it won't be used in court, so why keep it? Ohhh that's right.. it's "evidence" which is pig speak for "I'm going to split this money with my brothers in blue, maybe have a nice night out or buy a new toy"

Hope the waitress learned her lesson. Never call the cops when you find money, especially when it's given to you.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
They "classify" it as drug money only to make it legitimate theft....from her.

Also, she NEVER should have turned this in. We as citizens have our money taken from us on a daily basis by everything from ridiculous taxes to unfair fines...

She should have just put it under her pillow.

Peace

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

So what if it's drug money.. it won't be used in court, so why keep it? Ohhh that's right.. it's "evidence" which is pig speak for "I'm going to split this money with my brothers in blue, maybe have a nice night out or buy a new toy"

Hope the waitress learned her lesson. Never call the cops when you find money, especially when it's given to you.

We honestly don't live in the days of "if you find money turn it in to the police" anymore. Sad, but yea, the waitress should just have kept it and declared it in her taxes or something. She does the honest thing and loses out on 12k. Awfully sad for her.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
it was very unwise of her to bring it up with the police, like telling the government you found a huge stash of gold coins.

the police are greedy s.o.b's. that's all there is to this story. they see easy income and take it.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Based on NO facts whatsoever, the cops just declare it to be "drug money" and giving themselves permission to steal it from her. She was a fool to try and be honest in this case.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I really agree, how stupid can she be? I know she may be trying to do the honest thing, but there's a line you must not cross with this corrupt government.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Ah...so that's where I left it. I wondered where my 12 grand had gone. Minnesota, yes I remember it now, they had good coffee and lousy service...or was it the other way round? No matter, I'll just call the station and reclaim my property.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

If they don't have any evidence its drug money, which they couldn't then surely she could get it back easily?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
If you get a tip and you call the cops about it, you deserve to lose it for being stupid.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Alot of confiscated money has been traced back (via serial #) to cops/detective pocketing it years later

so of course, its in their interest to accuse it of being DRUG money, so they can 'confiscate' it - for themselves.

In other news, when i waited and did hotel concierge i have gotten in excess of 1,000 tip in one shot. i dont see 12 times that being such a big deal.

when youre nice, you're nice. when you're generous, you're generous.

when you're nasty, you're a PIG

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Shame on them, if it can not be directly connected to a drug dealer or confiscated in a drug raid than it is outright theft. The only difference between them and criminals is they have badges, not cool.

So much for "serve and protect"

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
If you EVER find a large amount of money, make sure nobody sees you find it and NEVER call the cops.

They will always find a way to claim it.

They're infiltrated by thugs after all.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Wait a minute... if they're claiming this is drug money, shouldn't there be someone they suspect of selling drugs to get the money? Are they planning to accuse this woman of being a drug dealer?

Maybe they made that claim so they won't have to produce the money because the money isn't there any more.

I'm sure they will find a way to weasel out of this. I wouldn't be surprised if the judge has some of it in his wallet right now.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
She didnt find it, she was just covering bases and being a good citizen.

Are these (bad) cops/pigs saying there's a legal limit on tips?

Where does it say that??

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
no wonder people hate the police (me included)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I hate any group (overall) with a pattern of corruption and/or abuse of power.

There are a few good cops left, but they are smothered and squashed by the corrupt majority/seniority at the 'top'

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Yea, its not like she found the money in some back alley ( even then it should be hers after 90 days). But she got this as a tip. Do whats right, unfairly tax her and let her keep the scraps.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
Yea, its not like she found the money in some back alley ( even then it should be hers after 90 days). But she got this as a tip. Do whats right, unfairly tax her and let her keep the scraps.

Even if she did find it in a back alley... She reported it and no one claimed it. Whether it's a pile of cash, or $200 dollar ring. If it's okay to find and report one thing, how is not okay for something else?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join