It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible: Proofs of its Supernatural Origin

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday

Originally posted by SchwarzRitter
I don't believe in souls or a higher power either if that's what you're asking. I know I am just a bunch of atoms and I'm alive because of my brain and organs are working in harmony.

Free will is the notion that there is a soul controlling your body and brain to some degree. No soul means you are master of nothing, but it also means you are responsible for nothing. The soul is simply an abstraction created in the brain to explain why it chose chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla ice cream. The brain can't predict its own behaviour so it creates the abstraction of a soul to fill the gap. A fancy computer program would probably also decide that it has a soul for the same reason.

But regardless if free will actually exists, our brain believes we have a soul with free will. We can reason and prove that we don't, but our brain is hard-wired to believe we do.

I'm not saying atheism is wrong; I'm saying we humans are not able to be true atheists.

That actually makes sense, it is true that we Humans are still a stupid Species, I mean we are greedy and kill our own kind... So we really don't know if we are our own masters, but I strongly believe that what I have done or what I'm doing or what I will do has nothing to do with Destiny or our "Souls" but I think that if we set out to do something, more or less that will be our "fate". We could use "free will" and just stop doing what we wanted to do but there comes a sense of commitment that won't let us.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

That actually makes sense, it is true that we Humans are still a stupid Species, I mean we are greedy and kill our own kind... So we really don't know if we are our own masters, but I strongly believe that what I have done or what I'm doing or what I will do has nothing to do with Destiny or our "Souls" but I think that if we set out to do something, more or less that will be our "fate". We could use "free will" and just stop doing what we wanted to do but there comes a sense of commitment that won't let us.

There have been studies showing that when people are persuaded that free will doesn't exist they are more inclined to behave unethically or immorally. That may be the reason evolution created brains that naturally believe they have souls that are responsible for decisions made by free will. There is evidence that many social animals have a concept of morality. Probably dogs think they have souls too. I know if I have a soul then animals have a soul that is just as good if not better than mine.

For myself, I've decided not to worry if I believe this or that. If I feel like saying a prayer I will say a prayer. I don't care if it makes sense for an atheist to say a prayer.
edit on 9-4-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday

There have been studies showing that when people are persuaded that free will doesn't exist they are more inclined to behave unethically or immorally. That may be the reason evolution created brains that naturally believe they have souls that are responsible for decisions made by free will. There is evidence that many social animals have a concept of morality. Probably dogs think they have souls too. I know if I have a soul then animals have a soul that is just as good if not better than mine.

For myself, I've decided not to worry if I believe this or that. If I feel like saying a prayer I will say a prayer. I don't care if it makes sense for an atheist to say a prayer.
edit on 9-4-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

I understand, and it seems here that the problem lies with the way we have evolved. maybe after a few million years we will truly realize what we can (or our successors) can be capable of.
edit on 9/4/2012 by SchwarzRitter because: Spell Check.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudyday

There have been studies showing that when people are persuaded that free will doesn't exist they are more inclined to behave unethically or immorally.

Sure. You take away a person's self determination, their sense of dignity and self worth and convince them that they are just slaves to biology and subject to other's (obvious) free will to dominate them, sure, unethical and immoral behavior will overthrow the chains of lies and ignorance.
edit on 9-4-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by cloudyday

There have been studies showing that when people are persuaded that free will doesn't exist they are more inclined to behave unethically or immorally.

Sure. You take away a person's self determination, their sense of dignity and self worth and convince them that they are just slaves to biology and subject to other's (obvious) free will to dominate them, sure, unethical and immoral behavior will overthrow the chains of lies and ignorance.
edit on 9-4-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

Free will or not, we must dominate other Species, we must not dominate our own kind through use of religious propaganda or otherwise.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SchwarzRitter

Free will or not, we must dominate other Species,

Yeppers, I know that, right? Yesterday morning I had to dominate 2 other species when my 2 cats brought 3 foot snake to me, very much alive, and laid it at my feet for approval.

Needless to say, all three got dominated to "lockout time!"

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

reply to post by NOTurTypical

nope not Megalomania, haha. I just looked up the word to be honest

No worries. We all do from time to time. Now you'll be using it.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
Come on are you all truly blinkered.

Anyone can write a book of so-called prophecys etc and back date them to the beginning of time and say that is the word of a God ...... it doesnt make it so.

I will be glad when the day comes that religion is seen for what it is ........... a sham!

Yes, I know that is true, I am 58 years old, and have seen "new prophecies of Nostradamus" every few years. I have also read of over 200 predictions and counting for the "End of the World" by religious types.
I think the time you are waiting for is fast approaching. Many are waking up, and gaining higher knowledge far and above the primitive religious dogma some believe even today. They are grasping at straws right now, and doing everything in their power to retain their hold over the masses.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Couldn't agree more. I have read numerous amounts of signs that the day of judgement is closer than most people realize. I can post them here if anyone would be interested. But yes, with the growing of knowledge comes the increase of ignorance and arrogance. They are intertwined; positively correlating one another, rather.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad
I just love the way Christians always say "Here is Proof", then just quote a verse from the bible , and expect everyone to fall in line as if they have been irrefutably, proven beyond a doubt.

It says here in the bible, and this is 100% proof the bible is true....lolololololololololololol

When the bible has been peer reviewed and accepted by mainstreme science, I will believe.

edit on 4/5/2012 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I like that too, they say they are here to "chip away at the false teachers," and don't even realize that most of us see THEM as the false teachers, with their cult like mentality of, "we are on the same page." Of course they are, all brainwashed from the same source, to so called Holy Book of Christianity, much like the Holy Book of Islam. I used to be like them, until I began to research the matter and learn the horrible truths about it.
As far as the Bible being fully accepted by the Scientific Community as a true historical telling? Not a snowball's chance in Hades of that ever happening. If anything, science will eventually prove the Bible wrong.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I was talking about Jesus and the devil. We're either a bond-servant to Jesus and a slave to righteousness and holiness are we're a slave to the devil and his taskmaster is sin.

There are only two.

Proof of a point:
Why the Polar Opposites in Christianity?
On the one side is God and Jesus.
On the other side is Satan and the Anti-Christ.

There is no middle ground, folks, you are with them, or you are with Satan, and that's all there is to it. This is all based of course, on their book. None will admit all of the translations and changes it has gone though, nor will any of them do any research on the origins of words or stories found in the book. Any earlier books or texts are "lies," or "work of the Devil." I don't know a lot about Islam, but my take on the extreme version is quite like this, either or. Don't these two book religions realize the heartache and bloodshed they have caused with this "belief system?" Right now, at this moment, Christianity is at war with Islam. Where does it end? When you destroy the world?

When that happens, the rest of us will pick up the pieces and go our own ways. History will record that the religions killed off and canceled each other out. The people will rejoice!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by Ironclad
I just love the way Christians always say "Here is Proof", then just quote a verse from the bible , and expect everyone to fall in line as if they have been irrefutably, proven beyond a doubt.

It says here in the bible, and this is 100% proof the bible is true....lolololololololololololol

When the bible has been peer reviewed and accepted by mainstreme science, I will believe.

edit on 4/5/2012 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I like that too, they say they are here to "chip away at the false teachers," and don't even realize that most of us see THEM as the false teachers, with their cult like mentality of, "we are on the same page." Of course they are, all brainwashed from the same source, to so called Holy Book of Christianity, much like the Holy Book of Islam. I used to be like them, until I began to research the matter and learn the horrible truths about it.
As far as the Bible being fully accepted by the Scientific Community as a true historical telling? Not a snowball's chance in Hades of that ever happening. If anything, science will eventually prove the Bible wrong.

That's exactly what I think will happen, I feel that the answers to many questions are right under our noses but we just can't find them yet.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

There is no middle ground, folks, you are with them, or you are with Satan, and that's all there is to it.

Yuup:

"He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad." ~ Jesus

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Winners have always written history, presumed to be be forever undisputed. Then there are fewer obstacles in these winners, designing the future. Because it's been 'written' doesn't make any of it so. Only fear makes it so. Control, constant fear of 'something.'

Perhaps this singular recipient of a particular gods' good grace is indeed their story, perhaps. But I personally suspect if they in fact have a god, it's their own god, and not in truth "The" God. In my heart and mind, I can not convince myself God would be so sloppy, single-visioned, flip-floppy....and mean. A mean guy, vindictive and unfair. Really kinda psychotic at times. Not someone I'd really trust my eternity with. He could get mad at someone and change his mind about the whole thing. Make Canadians his chosen people. He's not really a stable god. So I have doubts.

I'm gonna wait a little bit longer. I know. I know....time's short. But that's why I wanna be sure who's boat I get into.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join