It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newt Gingrich's one great idea..and was shunned.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Heya folks

ok, disclamer: I am a liberal democrat lefty pinko communist..probably a vegan devil at that and just not aware of that part...but point is, do not think me of a Newt fan by any stretch of the imagination..I would rather follow a literal eggplant than him.

In saying that. I wonder why the one damn good idea he had, that made me highly interested, got such bad press...it was nearly insane the way he was laughed at over this:

What a freaking awesome idea, and more importantly, what a critically necessary step in getting back into space and not having all our eggs in one basket!

Why was this laughed at? I agree with him 100% on pretty much everything he said in this video. If this was his main platform and he was moderate (centerist) in the rest, I would totally vote for him and encourage all my friends to.

Where has the innovation and desire for progressing our entire civilization gone in our leaders? Why is such a desire to go the extra mile and not only make us wonder again, but take a step towards long term survival of our species laughed at? Can someon explain this to me rationally

Yes, we can't afford it..we can never afford it..I disagree...I would rather put a colony on the moon and mars than go screw around in Iran for a trillion bucks! Return on investment verses accomplish nothing and murder people. We are doing the war thing...its not a we shouldn't do either..its a we are almost definately doing one part, have done it with iraq, and we get nothing out of it.
To hell with that..shift the money, get us in space...get humanity refocused on colonization race of the solar system verses arms race for nobody but the very elite on earth as we outgrow our resources.
edit on 4-4-2012 by SaturnFX because: typo

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
A few years ago, I thought this would've been a good idea. Then the recession started.
I think they're laughing because our economy is in no shape to accomplish this now. The republicans have been criticizing Obama for spending too much, then Newt says to spend god knows how much to build a moon base.
I think that's what they're laughing at.
but the media did go overboard making fun of him,
edit on 4-4-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Why was this laughed at?

Successful conditioning coupled with lack of promotion in the main stream o things? Your thread immediately reminded me of We Stopped Dreaming by Neil DeGrass Tyson. I feel that many folks think we should not invest interests and money for space endeavors becssue we have too many problems here, or they do not see any value in space exploration.

Whereas there are many of us that see this as paramount in our growth and duty as cosmic residents. It is interesting Newt was the only candidate to mention such endeavors, and yea, I too cheered a bit within.

What I think is one of the greatest values of things as moon colonies is the uniting of humanity factor. I think Newt recognizes this aspect too, and maybe he was trying to bring us all together, even though he is a republican
, and instill us with pride.
Here is the vid We Stopped Dreaming:

More:

Peace and make it so....dammit!
spec

ETA: Remember the dreaming:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 4-4-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I don't like Newt, I don't support any of his policies but dammit if I didn't agree with him about a Moon base!

Damn you Gingrich, I never wanted to be in your corner.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Probably because we already have one.

I mean, remember that guy that was from Lockheed Skunkworks that swore on his deathbed that this stuff was real already?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by fourthmeal
Probably because we already have one.

I mean, remember that guy that was from Lockheed Skunkworks that swore on his deathbed that this stuff was real already?

Maybe we do, maybe he was brainwashed, maybe he was having a laugh as his last moment, maybe he imagined it with all the dope they gave him in the hospital while watching some UFO conspiracy show.
doesn't matter, we are not publicly aware of such a thing...therefore it doesn't exist.

and it needs to exist...that and soo much more.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The only good idea he is going to have is dropping out of the race!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

A liberal democratic and a communist are a contradiction in terms. Anyway, yes I do believe we must get back into space ASAP and get to the moon and set up a permanent base there. Obama cancelled the Orion rocket that would have gotten us back into space and I had a screaming crying tantrum. Until I checked into why he did cancel it and what he did afterward.

More then any other President Obama has pushed hard to promote private industry in making and launching rockets including manned ones, with the help of our deep space tracking capability and NASA. I have always believed the only way to truly open up space is for private companies to do things they can do better then bloated government programs.

Sure the US space program had lots of private contractors but if you just want one example of a bad idea and very dangerous space craft just look at the thankfully retired US space shuttle. A bloody death trap and no way to get the crew out if something went wrong before, during and post launch.

That was supposed to be a fully reusable two stage vehicle, and take off vertically and or take off/land horizontally. So many corners were cut that thing should never had been used, until we got it right. Now were much closer.

But Gingrich is in la-la land if he has any delusion, and seems to have quite a few that we would ever fund a government program like this. Where will we get the money? As things are going now a lot of that money is not coming from tax payers but private investors who believe in a flexible and robust American Space Program. I'm someone who has put my own money as an investor where my beliefs and what I think is a vital need are.

The US government is paying these companies to build rockets to launch multiple payloads, including up-coming NASA probes that will knock your socks off when people see what they can do, and get where ever at a reasonable price. Why? Because several companies are getting in the act and that competition is very good for all, mostly tax payers.

There is also the largely unknown but very impressive military space program. Rumor has it they're looking at several new advanced launch rockets for their own needs. It is also rumored that the military has had advanced aerospace planes, including specialized anti-satellite and antimissile fighters and "satellite snatchers" that have been in the inventory for some time. But thats just a rumor...

But Gingrich? Why doesn't he just go to Tiffanies and leave the rest of us alone...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

and it needs to exist...that and soo much more.

Why does it need to exist?
Sure, it sounds like a cool concept. I can't say we NEED one.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I thought I was the only one agreeing with Gringrich on this one... it was going to be my secret shame but I guess I'm not the only one.

Shockingly he is right, we need to start getting off this planet and as for affording it, take the money out of the military budget.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
A few years ago, I thought this would've been a good idea. Then the recession started.
I think they're laughing because our economy is in no shape to accomplish this now. The republicans have been criticizing Obama for spending too much, then Newt says to spend god knows how much to build a moon base.
I think that's what they're laughing at.
but the media did go overboard making fun of him,
edit on 4-4-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

Yes, I know thats why they were laughing at it, but Newt should have simply pointed out that we are spending far more in wars we don't need that give back nothing, and could also have suggested going in with other nations to have a..whatever..NATO base, or something like that so not to pay for it all.

Thing is, yes, we are in a endless recession..there is always reasons why we cannot do great things...and this will never end..there will always be a reason why now is not the time.

We need this guy and this speech, slightly tweaked for relevance

This united states was not built by those whom wish to wait..it was conquered by those whom wish to move forward.
True dat, John.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbiture
But Gingrich is in la-la land if he has any delusion, and seems to have quite a few that we would ever fund a government program like this. Where will we get the money?

See, again.
This makes that vein in my forehead pulse.

I literally am seeing someone asking "where would we get the money to do that", while watching government take wheelbarrels full of money and dumping them into new bombs, bullets, tanks, etc etc etc...a trillion damn dollars
a trillion
not a million, not a billion, a trillion.

What do we have to show for it?

You think this stopped? no..every day, more wheelbarrels are lining up to dump money in the fire....

Where do we get the money?

Right $#%^ing There!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Indeed a great idea, including the execution - private companies and frequent launches. Gingrich is a space enthusiast, a rare thing among politicians, and it shows. I doubt it could be done before 2020 without increasing NASA budget, but otherwise it is quite realistic.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
I thought I was the only one agreeing with Gringrich on this one... it was going to be my secret shame but I guess I'm not the only one.

Shockingly he is right, we need to start getting off this planet and as for affording it, take the money out of the military budget.

Agreed!

Yes.

imagine that..having a superstation with artifical grav through rotation.

We may have less airplanes, tanks, etc...but you know what, if someone threatens to attack us from our "weakened" military state...guess what, we can drop a flipping asteroid on their capital. Tell me that doesn't make up for lacking the latest super tank fleet. Warhawks should be all for building mega space stations and colonization of planets and moons.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

then Newt says to spend god knows how much to build a moon base.

Around 0.5 % of federal budget.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
Indeed a great idea, including the execution - private companies and frequent launches. Gingrich is a space enthusiast, a rare thing among politicians, and it shows. I doubt it could be done before 2020 without increasing NASA budget, but otherwise it is quite realistic.

Increasing nasa's budget, along with having ruthless oversight for any corruption, waste, etc..make their buildings out of glass so they can not do anything without knowing where every dollar is going and if it is of value.

Then have the best and brightest redesign transport shuttles, robotics, etc...it could be done, and for less than a war with some middle east nation. We can even call it a war if we want...a war against erm..gravity or..stagnation.
Yes, a war against stagnation (if we can have a war against terror...which is a tactic and not a nation..then we can have a war against stagnation)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Yes you Americans need to go back to the moon. Just think, you can bomb anywhere on the planet from there. Never mind trying to help save the planet, or end starvation. Instead lets build a moon base. What a great idea. It wont cost much and anyway Americans are so rich the cost dosnt matter.

new topics

top topics

join