It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds accuse [Sheriff Joe] Arpaio of bad faith [and he strikes back]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Arpaio says no to ultimatum. (pdf)

The U.S. Justice Department said Tuesday that America's self-proclaimed toughest sheriff was negotiating in bad faith, jeopardizing efforts to settle civil rights charges stemming from allegations of racial profiling against Latinos.

Department of Justice officials told a lawyer for Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio that the lawman's refusal of a court-appointed monitor was a deal-breaker that would end settlement negotiations and result in a federal lawsuit.

The Justice Department says Arpaio previously agreed to outside supervision and tried to change the terms of the deal in a letter Tuesday.

"We believe that you are wasting time and not negotiating in good faith," wrote Roy Austin Jr., a deputy assistant attorney general, questioning whether the sheriff's office was ever interested in settling the matter. "Your tactics have required DOJ to squander valuable time and resources."

But the sheriff's office said it made no such agreement. Arpaio said in a written statement that allowing a court monitor would mean that every policy decision would have to be cleared through an observer and would nullify his authority.

"I am the constitutionally and legitimately elected sheriff, and I absolutely refuse to surrender my responsibility to the federal government," Arpaio said, accusing the Obama administration of trying to "strong arm" him.

"They don't want to monitor," he added. "They want to run my office."

Read more here: www.kansascity.com...=cpy

edit on 4-4-2012 by Patifier because: Fix pdf link.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
What a laugh.

Here he is trying to strong arm the government and he cries foul when they request he stop his nonsense?

What a hypocrite.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patifier

But the sheriff's office said it made no such agreement. Arpaio said in a written statement that allowing a court monitor would mean that every policy decision would have to be cleared through an observer and would nullify his authority.

He's an idiot. having a monitor would not mean that he needs to clear anything through that monitor. It just means if he continued his corrupt activities, the court would be aware....and abviously he's not comfortable with that.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
What nonsense?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Well, good for him. If this is how the mother of all court fights over the 10th Amendment and where that line really lay begins, then so be it.

I'd rather the test case and whole target be something I can really get behind and feel good about supporting. Sheriff Joe is as good as any.

At least this fight for State's Rights...if he works it that direction...won't be like freedom of speech cases where the cause is a child molester or the Neo-Nazi's.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Who is this guy?

O_o

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Roundtree

Joe Arpaio was asked by some Occupy activists to look at Obama birth certificate. He proved that it is fake indeed.

The left one is Obama's fake birth certificate, the right one is from someone born in the next day. Not to mention that Obama's pdf released to the media contained layers and several elements could be moved around proving that it was fabricated.
edit on 4-4-2012 by Patifier because: To add the certificates.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Patifier

Well if he isn't doing anything wrong, he shouldn't have to worry about having a monitor. They aren't there to tell him what to do, they are there to observe how he does things. If he's all legit, they will inform the court as such. If not, well that's a different story now isn't it?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Please use the existing thread to continue the discussion:

Obama is Going After Sheriff Joe…Shocking!

Thread Closed.

top topics

join