It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toxic 'Agent Orange' Sprayed In B.C.: Documents

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Toxic 'Agent Orange' Sprayed In B.C.: Documents

www.ctvbc.ctv.ca

The cancer-causing herbicides dubbed "Agent Orange" were sprayed by the B.C. government during the ‘60s and ‘70s, according to documents obtained by CTV News.

..."It was a real strong smell. You couldn't get away from that smell. We smelt that for a year straight in our house, couldn't get rid of it," recalled former Cherryville resident...

"All that stuff went into the creek, so we drank it. All that stuff got in the cow, and we drank the milk. Our clothes were washed in it, our dishes were...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

"I feel disgusted. I fought pain all my life, and I never knew why,"

CTV News obtained the documents under the Freedom of Information Act, showing that all four of the B.C regions: Kamloops, Nelson, Prince George and Vancouver were delivered 26,000 gallons of the toxic mix to be used as a "brush killer".

In B.C., the mix of 2-4-D and 2-4-5-T was called "Type B Weed and Brush Killer" in government invoices.

Well, this is truly disgusting that the government
would cover-up the use of Agent Orange once again,
showing just how much they really "care" and
just how "trustworthy" they are!

This is truly disgusting!

Oh what we would learn, about what we are all exposed
to on a daily basis if we could actually see the government invoices...if we only knew.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a3581a467677.jpg[/atsimg]
photo credit

www.ctvbc.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-4-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

There is one huge difference between the Agent Orange sprayed in Southeast Asia and the stuff used in Canada. The stuff used in Asia was contaminated with 2,3,7,8 tetrachlorodibenzodioxin, perhaps the most toxic chemical ever created. There is no report, or other indication, that the stuff used in Canada contained any of this dioxin.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
And we hear about it 40 years later. Cbc radio was talking about it. it was used in both BC and Alberta to clear brush on the sides of highways... Ah the chemical age, a chemical for everything including the chemicals themselves.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by F4guy

So how much stock do you have in DOW? J/k. I am no chemist, but one molecule here and there does not change the fact there are real people with real symptoms in affected areas
edit on 4-4-2012 by dl2oneThe2nd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

And people still "trust" their governments.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by F4guy

2-4-5-T use is major health hazard because it was contaminated with dioxin,
according to Agent Orange expert Wayne Dwenychuk

www.ctvbc.ctv.ca...

"If they used 2-4-5-T through B.C., they were spreading dioxin; there's no doubt in my mind," he said, adding that the biggest concern is for those who were employed by the government to apply the herbicide.

In B.C., the mix of 2-4-D and 2-4-5-T was called "Type B Weed and Brush Killer

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

Do they?
Hmmmmm.....

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Originally posted by HandyDandy

Do they?
Hmmmmm.....

Read some of the 9/11 threads on here to get a glimpse.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

Good point, yes.

The crafters of the Original Story, same as the ones who plan to allow
Monsantos Agent Orange, 2, 4-d to be the new pesticide.

Dow and Monsanto Join Forces to Poison Americas Heartland

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
How horrible.

I thought this stuff was long gone.

Like a bad penny...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Its shocking. To think those poor people had that in the drinking water,
washed clothes in it.

And then to think that right now the USDA is taking comments on pending approval
to unleash this crap again, only this time directly on our food! As a pesticide!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
We need to overhaul the whole system.

Monsato and companies like this have become to big with to much control over governments as they have enough money to buy or bribe their way out of any situation.

This breads wide scale corruption. And Monsanto in only one among many such companies.

We are screwed if enough people do not become aware and active soon.

I am for peaceful change and still think there is time, but there seems to be many who are not. It seems only a matter of time before one or the other sides goes to far.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Its really disgusting and I've also heard they used it on wild berries and in Eastern Canada? The whole thing is just terrible.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
We are screwed if enough people do not become aware and active soon.

Piano,

Yeah, I call it "scroomed".

And yes, we are. Hopefully though we are raising awareness.
I read today there is a huge global movement against Monsanto.

Oppostion To Monsanto Growing Worldwide

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I did a thread on this quite a while ago...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's about the spraying at Base Gagetown in the 60's to 80's but still relevant. The most disgusting thing of it all is or was that the gov only compensated people who were sprayed by the Americans in a two week span covering '66 and '67. Nothing for the 1000's of others who were and still are being affected by the diseases associated with this chemical.

reply to post by F4guy

2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzodioxin hasn't been mentioned in any of the literature associated with the spraying in Canada to date but there is little doubt in my mind that it was present in at least some of the batches sprayed here.

Just a quick snippet about it...

Agent Orange on trial: mass toxic disasters in the courts

PG17.

As early as 1952, army officials had been informed by Monsanto Chemical Company... that 2,4,5-T was contaminated by a toxic substance....

It came not from the compound itself but from but from the intermediate stage of the 2,4,5-T manufacturing process, a contaminant that remained in the final product, usually in tiny amounts. This contaminant carries the chemical name 2,3,7,8 tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin.

And from wiki...

In the manufacture of 2,4,5-T, accidental overheating of the reaction mixture easily causes the product to condense into the toxic self-condensation product TCDD. At the time, precautions were not taken against this unintended side reaction, which caused also the Seveso disaster in Italy in 1976. In addition to this, 2,4,5-T is hazardous in its own right.

Agent Orange
edit on 4-4-2012 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Great thread GAOTO,

It was before my time here, had not seen that.

So typical of the way the government handles these cover-ups, they
must have some sick strategy in finally admitting "something" and a very
limited offering of reparation.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
the "end results" were most likely intentional.

they'll just blame the cancer rates on cigarette smoke

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by F4guy

There is one huge difference between the Agent Orange sprayed in Southeast Asia and the stuff used in Canada. The stuff used in Asia was contaminated with 2,3,7,8 tetrachlorodibenzodioxin, perhaps the most toxic chemical ever created. There is no report, or other indication, that the stuff used in Canada contained any of this dioxin.

That's something that people never seem to realise - Agent Orange is, of itself, not a nice substance, but it is not particularly poisonous to humans - it was the contaminant dioxin that did "all the damage".

Of the 2 constituents, 2, 4, 5-T is no longer in use, mainly because if it is improperly manufactured then it pretty much automatically is contaminated.

2, 4-D is still in widespread use, but has a dioxin problem of its own that is apparently not monitored much - 2,7-dichlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (DCDD)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

That's something that people never seem to realise - Agent Orange is, of itself, not a nice substance, but it is not particularly poisonous to humans - it was the contaminant dioxin that did "all the damage".

Thats quite a misleading statement, to say the least, it would be safe to say that
is quite untrue!

IOM: Links Between Herbicides (Including Agent Orange) and Cancer

Sufficient evidence of an association

Soft tissue sarcoma
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)
Hodgkin disease
Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), including hairy cell leukemia and other chronic B-cell leukemias

A study in 1970 found that 2,4,5-T could cause birth defects in lab animals

Different mixes of herbicides were used, but most were mixtures of 2 chemicals that were phenoxy herbicides:
• 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D)
• 2,4,5-trichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4,5-T)

Each mixture was shipped in a chemical drum marked with an identifying colored stripe. The most widely used mixture contained equal parts 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T. Because this herbicide came in drums with orange stripes, it was called Agent Orange. Today, Agent Orange is used to refer generally to all the phenoxy herbicides sprayed at the time. (Other types of herbicides were also used, including cacodylic acid and picloram.)www.cancer.org...

Even 2, 4-d alone is thought to cause cancer.
journals.lww.com...
edit on 4-4-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join