It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Warns GOP Budget Would Make Weather Prediction Less Accurate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Really Mr. President?

Reductions in launching new satellites will make weather prediction "LESS ACCURATE"

Tell me, how does that work? The weather satellites we have now are LESS accurate than they would be if they were not enhanced or replaced?

Does that mean the weather reports we are getting now are wrong?

This guy will say ANYTHING to get re-elected.

ARTICLE

Spend, Spend, Spend.

What a disingenuous person this man is.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
What's funny is people make fun of how inaccurate weather prediction is. (Although to be fair, I am in Oklahoma, home of the National Severe Storms Labratory, the NWS, and the University of Oklahoma, which has the best meteology department in the country. Thus the weather forecasts here are pretty good).

So in essence he is claiming what? More money will make it more, less accurate?????

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

maybe he meant that they will wreak havoc with the harp weapon?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Even with the most advance satellites and instruments weather would be just as unpredictable as it is now. "They" have an idea what is going to happen and forecast it but it's never a "sure" thing.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Why is he worried about weather satellites?

I thought his Global Warming models can already predict the climate of the future, so tomorrows weather should be a piece of cake.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Cheap shot there -- you remove scientists and you get garbage. I'm betting that none of you are pilots or sailors - where wx can be a life and death piece of information. Degrading it is really a good idea.

Satellites don't predict wx -- that is like saying hammers build houses.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Was a student pilot, and in the Civil Air Patrol, and in Army ROTC, and wrote the meterology curriculum for the US Space Camp/Aviation Challenge program in California, and was the outstanding student in meteorology in High School (yes in Oklahoma, the high schools have meterology as an elective physics class, cause our weather is that crazy). . So I know all about the importance of weather forecasting.

I also know that a good number of meterologists out there are private, not government.Heck in this part of the country the TV weathermen are actual degreed and AMS certified meterologists. And of the important ones under government fall under either the military or FAA as part of their standard operations and would not be cut. And really, do we need both FAA, and NOAA, and military meterologists? Could not one agency publish forecasts for everyone??? Heck The weather channel does a pretty good job, and they are private.

But go ahead and assume that as a poster I know nothing about weather.
edit on 4-4-2012 by SrWingCommander because: clarification

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Who maintains the network of information gathering equipment the buoys and weather stations. I'm both a pilot ans a sailor and weather is almost sacred to me. There are a lot of aspects of weather analysis that don't lend themselves to being "profit centers" I'm way more comfortable with NOAA than Big Bobs discount forecasting.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Then please show me in the current proposed budget where that actual funding is being cut, and for what programs. Because I am not aware of it, and view the Presidents statements as fear mongering and election year tripe.

Our ENTIRE government at some point is going to face austerity measures, because we are 15 Trillion in debt, including the Military, FAA, and NOAA. I don't think anything directly effecting weather forecasting is actually on the chopping block. However; standardized weather from a more centralized office could easily be accomplished and could save money. No need for the military, FAA, NOAA, and other agencies to have their own forecasters other then convienence. I am not saying I am for that, but I am saying it may become necessary.

And I am just guessing here, but I would be willing to assume that any cuts to NOAA or FAA weather are adminstrative, or possibly in global warming studies, and not actual prediction and warning.

Good day.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Obviously he is attempting to save face for a few friends that might get loans and contracts.

If they get stopped now, they can't steal as much,
and therefore can't kickback as much campaign contributions.

Obama is attacking anything that moves right now.

The ice is cracking.

The witch is melting.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
There have been several whoppers he has told lately, sadly people sit there and nod approvingly, with this glazed look in their eyes.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander
Then please show me in the current proposed budget where that actual funding is being cut, and for what programs. Because I am not aware of it, and view the Presidents statements as fear mongering and election year tripe.

Our ENTIRE government at some point is going to face austerity measures, because we are 15 Trillion in debt, including the Military, FAA, and NOAA. I don't think anything directly effecting weather forecasting is actually on the chopping block. However; standardized weather from a more centralized office could easily be accomplished and could save money. No need for the military, FAA, NOAA, and other agencies to have their own forecasters other then convienence. I am not saying I am for that, but I am saying it may become necessary.

And I am just guessing here, but I would be willing to assume that any cuts to NOAA or FAA weather are adminstrative, or possibly in global warming studies, and not actual prediction and warning.

Good day.

Here is a small analysis -- this does not go into the tsunami warning cutbacks. WX is more than turning on the news and finding out if you need a sweater

scienceprogress.org...

The National Ocean and Atmospheric Association released new data yesterday showing precisely how the loss of environmental monitoring satellites would affect our ability to forecast extreme weather events, using the example of the “Snowmageddon” storm that dumped massive precipitation from the Gulf of Mexico to New England on February 5-6, 2010. [\quote]

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
Really Mr. President?

Reductions in launching new satellites will make weather prediction "LESS ACCURATE"

Tell me, how does that work? The weather satellites we have now are LESS accurate than they would be if they were not enhanced or replaced?

ARTICLE

Spend, Spend, Spend.

Obama is throwing buckets of garbage against the wall and just waiting to see

what sticks. Go ahead and expect more distractions for the rest of the year.

The goal is distract the American people from his 2 Achilles Heels.

- High price of gas & the High Unemployment Rate -

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
incorrect quote
edit on 6-4-2012 by SrWingCommander because: incorrect quote

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

No kidding, weather is more then turning on the TV and seeing you need a sweater..........did you even read my posts?????

I will look over the synopsis of the cuts when I get some extra time.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
Really Mr. President?

ARTICLE

Spend, Spend, Spend.

science is your friend, not your enemy. again, another republican blaming obama, on wanting to upgrade and keep our weather satellites viable, as "wasteful spending"

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

I thought his Global Warming models can already predict the climate of the future, so tomorrows weather should be a piece of cake.

yeah, george w. bush didn't worry about what weather satellites showed in 2005 for the katrina hurricane, so why should any other president.
i can see the news report now....
"the government has eliminated weather satellites, for any future related weather news, please step outside, look up, and see if the sky is clear, wet finger to see if and where the wind blows, and hold out a your hand with palm up to see if it is raining. now we return to our regular programming of "jersey shore"
edit on 6-4-2012 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2012 by jimmyx because: spelling

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

We had a 10% chance of rain late on Wednesday, instead it rained all day and my power went out at work twice!

For Thursday, the "updated" forecase was 70% chance of rain in the morning and 80% in the afternoon. It was perfectly clear all day until about 2 p.m., we got some light showers moving through, but it was perfectly clear again by 5 p.m.

The last two "above average" hurricane season predictions have turned out to have ZERO storms hitting the US!

How could weather prediction get any less accurate?

They have no where to go but up!! In fact, if they stopped predicting anything at all, it would be a drastic improvement, because they wouldn't always be wrong.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

yeah, george w. bush didn't worry about what weather satellites showed in 2005 for the katrina hurricane, so why should any other president.
i can see the news report now....
"the government has eliminated weather satellites, for any future related weather news, please step outside, look up, and see if the sky is clear, wet finger to see if and where the wind blows, and hold out a your hand with palm up to see if it is raining. now we return to our regular programming of "jersey shore"
edit on 6-4-2012 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2012 by jimmyx because: spelling

Actually they had Katrina on radar and satellite for several days.

There were complete warnings by the Mayor to "evacuate" New Orleans two days ahead of time.

Warnings from the Governor and the National Weather Service.

Obama IMO, is taking medication lately.

He displays all the standard symptoms.

He looks terrible, and seems to be stuttering and stammering more and more.

Less and less people are falling for the malarkey.

edit on Apr-06-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

i ]

I am not a huge W defender, but you do realize you have TWO mistakes with the above statement.

1). W was telling Nagan and the Louisana Gov to just say the word and he would get the federal help coming...Legally federal help (particularly from the military) can only come when a state REQUESTS it. Otherwise the only other way to send the help would be for the President to declare martial law. The Mayor of New Orleans and the Gov of Louisiana both balked at federal help (being democrats, they did not want to request help from the Republican President. It's deeper then that, but that's the basic jist of it).

2) Obama has gutted the space program, launching and maintaining satellites right now is a bit problematic due to that alone.

I still have yet to see the cuts listed. Likely I'll agree with some not all. But let's not be over dramatic. People seem to be far more emotional around here lately......

top topics

join