It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cherry Creek UFO Mystery - August 19th, 1965.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Officially listed by the USAF as a 'true unknown', the Cherry Creek UFO case certainly has a few intriguing aspects and involves members of the Butcher family witnessing a very strange object hovering over (and landing on) their farm in Cherry Creek, New York on August 19th, 1965.

The UFO was described as a large, elliptical, metallic object (50 feet long and 20 feet thick) which gave off a reddish vapor as it hovered above the trees near their barn -one of the main witnesses Harold Butcher stated the object looked 'like two turkey platters put together' and emitted a 'steady beeping noise' -it's also worth noting that radio equipment, tractor machinery and animal behaviour were all said to have been affected whilst the object was in the area.

Witness sketch:

Witnesses: Mrs. William Butcher, son Harold, 17, and children. A large elliptical object, with a reddish vapor underneath, came close to the ground, then shot straight up into the clouds a few seconds later. Radio drowned out by static, a tractor engine stopped. When the object was on the ground, a steady beeping sound could be heard. Afterwards, a strange odor was noticed, and the next day, a purplish liquid, 2"x2" marks and patches of singed grass were found at the site. A bull bellowed and tried to break its bonds.

NICAP Case Directory

After the object departed at high speed leaving a strange odour and a glowing green colour in the clouds, it was then seen by multiple witnesses as it reappeared 30 minutes later and circled overhead -at this point, the mother of the Butcher family then contacted the authorities which began a series of investigations by NICAP, the USAF and the New York State Police which also found additional physical trace evidence at the site.

Object:

The object was metallic-looking, football shaped, and estimated to be 50 feet long and 20 feet thick. A reddish vapor was emitted from the bottom area and when the object rose, the red vapor shot toward the ground and bounced back toward the object. The clouds had a greenish glow where the object had vanished. At 9 p.m. the object was seen again by several people at the farm. It now had a glowing yellow vapor trail. The clouds still appeared to have a green glow. State police were called and investigated and the Air Force investigated.

Cat. 3: This incident involved EM effects. A tractor motor shut down, the barn radio and house radio had static-like interference but a telephone between the barn and house apparently worked.

Cat. 6: Physical traces included an odor, ground marks, a purple liquid, and grass bent over and singed.

Cat. 5: Physiological effects included Harold and his younger sister having upset stomachs, and the cows giving less than normal amounts of milk.

Documentary:

Video Link

The late Richard H. Hall, a longtime member of NICAP (1958-1969), is interviewed in this episode. Hall also recounts the story of the relationship between the civilian UFO group, NICAP and the U.S. Air Force (Project Blue Book).

Links:

E Book, Page 29

UFO Lands - Cherry Creek, NY

edit on 7-11-2013 by karl 12 because: Fix links

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

interesting never heard about this case before btw the link to the ebook results in a error message in spanish [i think]

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Today, many don't know that there are lots of good cases like these, close range, several witnesses, physical trace evidence, not only on the ground, but on the witnesses, verified by medical doctors. I was recently reviewing the case in Ontario Canada, 1967 I think it was. this guy gets burned by the landed craft which also leaves a saucer nest. The man's wounds are like radiation but are not radiation, leaving medical experts baffled.

Karl, I had long forgot that, years ago, there were many cases which kept researchers like Ted Philips, busy analysing. Saucer nests (not crop circles) burns, electromagnetic effects on police cars, damaged vehicles and people's clothing (Betty Hill) and injured people. Indisputable hard evidence. But --it seems to me-- that these types of events no longer occurr.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench

maybe because as our technology has improved over the years "they" have become more wary of us?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerwench
Today, many don't know that there are lots of good cases like these, close range, several witnesses, physical trace evidence, not only on the ground, but on the witnesses, verified by medical doctors. I was recently reviewing the case in Ontario Canada, 1967 I think it was. this guy gets burned by the landed craft which also leaves a saucer nest. The man's wounds are like radiation but are not radiation, leaving medical experts baffled.

Karl, I had long forgot that, years ago, there were many cases which kept researchers like Ted Philips, busy analysing. Saucer nests (not crop circles) burns, electromagnetic effects on police cars, damaged vehicles and people's clothing (Betty Hill) and injured people. Indisputable hard evidence. But --it seems to me-- that these types of events no longer occurr.

There also do not seem to be as many close encounters as before, they seem to be keeping their distance as if they are learning that their craft can do some harm to us.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Good post, this is an interesting sighting.

The good old NICAP vs. Blue Book battle is fun to hear about

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies, it certainly is an interesting case and reminds me a bit of this one from Wisconsin ten years later - NICAP's Dan Wilson has written a piece below suggesting there may be radar evidence for the Cherry Creek sightings and there's also a good newspaper article here with some more info (pdf file).

Close Encounter Has Radar Evidence

Aug. 19, 1965

Lockport / Cherry Creek, New York

Between 8:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. local time, a momentary target was picked up by an AN/FPS-6 Long Range Height Finder Radar of the 763rd Radar Squadron at Lockport AFS New York. The target was sighted near the upper limit of the radar. This system had a maximum range of 200 nautical miles and a height-finding capacity of 75,000 feet within an angle limit of minus 2 to plus 32 degrees.

link

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Article with more info and potential witnesses.

INCIDENT AT CHERRY CREEK STILL UNEXPLAINED 35 YEARS LATER

Thirty-five years ago this week, an unidentified flying object allegedly landed in Western New York. The incident, which received sparse coverage from Buffalo-area news media, was investigated extensively by a civilian UFO research organization, the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena (NICAP).

link

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Two state troopers witness strange object 28 hours later in the same area.

According to a NICAP report, the troopers were on Plank Road, about 1.5 miles from the farm where Harold Butcher reported seeing an object the night before.

Jeffrey Gow remembers the troopers showing him where they were around 1:15 a.m. on August 21.

“They said it was eerie.”

As they looked down on the farm where the Butcher sightings occurred, the troopers reported seeing a straight-line, fixed-position pattern of lights with a smaller red light in the front.

“They said it was coming right at us, but it was coming really low. And they said it came right over us and we looked up and there were seven orange, amber circles following the original small light,” Gow said.

In the original report, one of the troopers noted that “it seemed all eight lights were of the same object.”

The report also stated that the object was “about 2000 to 3000 feet above our head…it seemed to hold a straight north-south course.”

When asked what kind of sound the object made as it passed overhead, the troopers stated that the “object purred like a bag full of kittens.”

“You’ve got two people who are trained observers, professionals. And also, unlike the Butchers perhaps, they don’t want publicity among their peers,” Gow said. “They don’t want to be known as the troopers who were behind the flying saucer. So I would expect them to be much more reticent to voice what they feel. But they seemed sincere. You can’t prove anything of course, but my sense was that they were sincere.”

For Galganski, the troopers’ sighting turned out to be more impressive and compelling than what Harold Butcher and his brothers reported seeing the night before.

And that was enough for the UFO researcher to reconsider his initial skepticism.

“I think the kids actually saw something. There was a stimulus. They absolutely saw something,” Galganski said.

Jeffrey Gow, who interviewed the Butchers back in 1965, agrees that there was some kind of stimulus that night.

“Something happened. I feel that something happened out there. What it could have been is any number of things.”

Robert Butcher, who’s now 64 years old, knows some people will always be skeptical no matter what.

”It’s their choice not to believe. All I know is what I saw. I won’t lie to you about it. I don’t believe in lying.”

link

new topics

top topics

join