It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus shadow appears in New Orleans chapel during Holy Week

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
www.nola.com...

I'm not usually one for topics related to religion, but this is in my neck of the woods so I figured I'd share.

Arriving steadily as singles, or in clumps of twos, threes and fours, thousands of people since Thursday have streamed in and out of the dimly lighted chapel at Ursuline Academy to sit or kneel and quietly contemplate a phenomenon spreading by social media and word of mouth: a shadow, never noticed before, of a bearded man’s face gazing toward the chapel altar. The shadowy image is projected on the lower half of a sanctuary pillar: the clear symmetry of a face. A thin beard. And something complicated going on above the forehead.

I think it is a plant or chandelier casting the shadow. To me, it proves people are desperate to believe in any miracle they can. Just not my thing.
I keep in mind things like the one brought up later in the article:

In 1999, hundreds of LaPlace Catholics believed a Communion wafer had visibly transformed into the flesh and blood of Christ until the Archdiocese of New Orleans determined it was mold.

I'd hate to think that the Ursuline nuns would fake something to make some money, but I think even that is more plausible than Jesus projecting himself as a tribal t-shirt pattern design.

Ah well, who knows, I guess....

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

Here's the Pic for ya

:ETA

Wont embed.

Oh well.

No other pics online either it seems.

Hmmm

OK found one

edit on 4/4/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Hahhahaha

Priceless, and one would think we have XXI century

faces of jesus and "virgin" mary always give me chuckle. I remember pipe-leakage, butter toast and some more, who can name some other?

Best part is... we dont know what jesus and mary looked like
(if they existed at all)

Classic case of pareidollia.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
double post, plz remove
edit on 4-4-2012 by stainlesssteelrat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Pareidolia goes a long ways, I suppose. Always surprises me that so many can take this stuff seriously.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Good find!!!
Divine illustration of what happens when a little light shines.

PLPL

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Wow. You know, I really have nothing to say about this except...

Every single one of y'all in that church just been trolled.
edit on CWednesdayam353544f44America/Chicago04 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

kind of funny considering we are in the Christian holy week that stories like this come out.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
First I want to say I'm serious and not joking about my take on the shadow pic. ..........

My first impression was it looks sort of like a pitbull in the face. The black nose a upper jowls. The eyes look to be covered in those kind of sunglass lens that Kenny Powers wears.
The top, hair area, reminds me of a Carman Miranda (hope that's spelled right) or an African style headdress.

My initial thought before even veiwing the pic. was "arent shadows without bodies supposed to be associated with evil spirits?"

Anyway if I saw something like this I would not think "Jesus" If it was in a church and people started praying to this shadow I might be inclined to think it was a dark entity of some sort pulling one over on the weak minded and geting off on the attention. Especially If it was last sunday April 1
Seriously.

edit on 4-4-2012 by grubblesnert because: spellin'

edit on 4-4-2012 by grubblesnert because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Thats not belief....thats what i call scraping the barrel out of desperation!

I look more like Jesus that that does....and i look nothing like Jesus.

Would be interesting to see if that pillar is in line with the stained glass window at the front of the church, those two huge leafy trees out front could be the cause of the shadow, Certainly lokks "branchy and leafy".

I wonder if they happen to have a donation tin at the door? Give it time.

CX.
edit on 4/4/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
www.nola.com...

I'm not usually one for topics related to religion, but this is in my neck of the woods so I figured I'd share.

Arriving steadily as singles, or in clumps of twos, threes and fours, thousands of people since Thursday have streamed in and out of the dimly lighted chapel at Ursuline Academy to sit or kneel and quietly contemplate a phenomenon spreading by social media and word of mouth: a shadow, never noticed before, of a bearded man’s face gazing toward the chapel altar. The shadowy image is projected on the lower half of a sanctuary pillar: the clear symmetry of a face. A thin beard. And something complicated going on above the forehead.

I think it is a plant or chandelier casting the shadow. To me, it proves people are desperate to believe in any miracle they can. Just not my thing.
I keep in mind things like the one brought up later in the article:

In 1999, hundreds of LaPlace Catholics believed a Communion wafer had visibly transformed into the flesh and blood of Christ until the Archdiocese of New Orleans determined it was mold.

I'd hate to think that the Ursuline nuns would fake something to make some money, but I think even that is more plausible than Jesus projecting himself as a tribal t-shirt pattern design.

Ah well, who knows, I guess....
I love this part
"And something complicated going on above the forehead."
Sounds like something a hairdresser would say

Maybe "Jesus" had to rush out for his first shadow showing before his hair was dry

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The priest must've been placing objects and lights about for ages trying to get that

Jesus looks a bit messed up, death aint treating him so well.

You'd think if the son of God was going to make an appearance to our mortal souls he'd at least brush his hair!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It looks like a cat in a wig to me

These 'appearances' just seem like the religious folk clutching at straws to me, they have no other proof so they have to rely on jesus's face turning up in their toast and such.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Since when does Jesus resemble band members of the Insane Clown Posse?

I thought he was supposed to look like Aston Kutcher

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Looks more like an arab in a headdress to me.

That Muhammed, always playing tricks on the gullible Christians... Funny guy...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

Nice name you got there. Wearewatchingyou is their motto, you know. And the Illuminati tries to destroy religions and beliefs in intelligent desings.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Cool story bro.

The implications are blowing my mind.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by stainlesssteelrat

I remember pipe-leakage, butter toast and some more, who can name some other?

Well, there's always Dot on MadTV, who can chew a piece of American cheese into a profile of Jesus in three seconds flat.

Start at 5:31..through 6:16

Just thought I'd throw a little bit of humor in these heavy forums for a change.
Lighten up, folks!! It's all gonna be okay!!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irish614

kind of funny considering we are in the Christian holy week that stories like this come out.

Agreed, but not surprising.
It's not enough to have all the purple-draped crosses in the church lawns, live "easter performances", huge displays of baskets, chocolate rabbits, fancy clothes, extra eggs, and the flooding of our senses with imagery and reminders that we need to "spend money!"

It's the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox!! We've been leading up to it since Mardi-Gras, and now, folks, here it is! The main event!

Yeah, okay, it's Ishtara....but hey, if we can market our product and get some bling out of it, well, why not?

It isn't surprising at all that a group of nuns would propagate such things...it's their job. Probably, they get written up if they don't do 'something' to give some credibility to their dogma.

Just sayin'. Where there's a market...there will be a product.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Did anyone actually even read the article? The nun's clearly state that they think it is because the chandelier is casting a strange shadow and not a divine occurrence. Most posts above seem to be solely going on the picture that was posted without even reading the article linked in the OP.

It is just that people want to cling to anything that supports and builds their faith.....I don't think the church itself is trying to say that this shadow is some miracle.

Dolce, the superior of the Ursuline community, has an explanation that threads its way between the sacred and the mundane. “God gives us gifts. Some are natural. Some are supernatural,” she said. “This is a natural gift. It’s caused by light filtering through a chandelier.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join