It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeet Kune Do for the Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I have not invented a "new style," composite, modified or otherwise that is set within distinct form as apart from "this" method or "that" method. On the contrary, I hope to free my followers from clinging to styles, patterns, or molds. Remember that Jeet Kune Do is merely a name used, a mirror in which to see "ourselves". . . Jeet Kune Do is not an organized institution that one can be a member of. Either you understand or you don't, and that is that. There is no mystery about my style. - Bruce Lee

Lee's philosophy

Every one of us is unique, so searching around for this and that system to "fit" perfectly with how we should use our minds will often have problems. Jeet Kune Do in martial arts uses anything and everything useful to combine into a way of martial arts that isn't based in the restrictions of any system. So for many of us, we need to find what fits best for us.

I'm just going to list something that's started working for me in the hope that it gives others ideas. (Ideas! if you try to apply this yourself it probably won't work right. You are unique, make your own way.) This is a kind of mental framework that I apply parts of when needed :

1 perception

---------------------------nonduality

3 sets

---------------------------awareness

--------unattachment-------------------equanimity

----------------------------body

------------feelings-------------------------mind

-------------------------concentration

---------serenity/peace--------------metta/love/loving kindness

= 10

Negative levels to assess during problems :

-----------------------------anger

-------------fear--------------------------anxiety

---------------------------delusion

= 14

Buddhism :

8 paths :

Correct View,
Correct Intention,
Correct Speech,
Correct Action,
Correct Livelihood,
Correct Effort,
Correct Mindfulness,
Correct Concentration.

= 22

7 factors for Awakening :

Mindfulness,
Analysis,
Persistence,
Rapture,
Serenity,
Concentration,
Equanimity.

= 29

5 hindrances :

Sensual Desire,
Anger,
Sloth and Drowsiness,
Restlesness,
Doubt.

= 34

5 aggregates :

Form,
Sensation,
Perception,
Mental Formations,
Consciousness.

= 39

Taoism :

Yin, Yang + De/Te/Virtue (balance of Yin and Yang.)

= 42

3 Jewels = Compassion, Simplicity, Patience.

= 45

Another personal one that goes with my own 14 at the top :

8 things :

Awareness,
Meditation,
Feelings,
Work,
Body,
Health,
Thoughts,
Memory.

Final count = 53

And yes, several things are repeated there, but it helps to reinforce those things when that's done.

Now this seems hard to remember, right? Nope. If you apply other systems you make shapes and remember them like that to help. Use mnemonics.

So in my head for this I'd have nonduality as top, then three triangles for the helpful sets, then a diamond for negative levels to assess. For my other personal one another octagon.

Then you have the others. For Buddhist : octagon for 8 paths, heptagon for 7 factors, 2 pentagons for 5 hindrances and aggregates, then 2 more triangles for the 2 Taoist sets.

Then they're arranged in my head in the easiest way to visualise them when needed, again, mnemonics. Trying to remember all that in one list would probably cause a lot more hassle than needed.

None of this is set in stone, if it needs changing I change it to try and avoid getting stuck in a rigid system that doesn't help me. Try it yourself of you're stuck with a mindset that doesn't help you, use whatever you think is best, and I hope it works out for you if you do.

Final note from Bruce Lee :

Again let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back. - Bruce Lee

Lee's philosophy
edit on 4-4-2012 by robhines because: added/altered/typos, etc

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
i like your thinking friend.
bruce lee is the all time best artist! and a philosopher as well!
i teach my kids the values of this 'system' and explain to them their biggest muscle is their brain.

i am no sesei by ant means but we are looking for a jeet koon do dojo to visit!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
i like your thinking friend.
bruce lee is the all time best artist! and a philosopher as well!
i teach my kids the values of this 'system' and explain to them their biggest muscle is their brain.

i am no sesei by ant means but we are looking for a jeet koon do dojo to visit!

Awesome, and good luck with finding one!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by robhines

Really cool way to describe and organize what I think many people are doing even without realizing it. I often encounter people who label me a certain religion based on our conversation (I get Buddhist a lot) and I'm always confused by it until I realize that something I've learned or found on my own or from another source just happens to be Buddhist philosophy. I really believe that combining philosophies or "styles" like Bruce Lee did is definitely a good way to build the mind and spirit. As was already pointed out, we should be exercising our brains as well as our bodies...

I remember him always speaking about water and fluidity, mostly in relation to technique but I thought of another way to look at it and fits well with the Jeet Kun Do teachings and the theme of this thread... Think of different oils and liquids as various philosophies and teachings. If one makes their mind and spirit like water, those things that are meant to mix will and those that are not will be rejected or will separate from the water naturally. Study all and let the waters of your soul determine what is truth.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Well Lee was a sifu not a sensei, but yes JKD is the BIZ! It's how I originally started meditating. After shadowboxing until my heart was pumpin real good n crazy i'd sit and close my eyes and be "there". Twas crazy.

Front hand lead, Leg Obstruction.

Fighting sucks but bruce lee's life story is one of much interest. I have some rare footage of him on my youtube channel and did you know about his death? This is one conspiracy I got very good info on as I was very much bridging a gap from me to his lineage when I was learning this wonderful art. Way of the intercepting fist, in english.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Just an update. This is what works for me now :

non-dual, awareness, non-ego, skillful means.

equanimity, body, feelings, mind.

non-attachment, serenity, concentration, love.

- - - - -

to be aware of :

stress,

delusion,

anger, fear, anxiety,

doubt, clinging, craving.

meditate on the all if stuck, question any lack of creativity.

top topics

join