It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Who Profits Off Of Ufo, Or Alien Topics.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs

Originally posted by justwokeup
- Presenting new evidence, or new insight into old evidence makes you a reporter/historian (ok)
- Presenting the same old stuff again and again makes you a hack (ok, if people want to hear it again)
- Writing fiction and presenting it as fact makes you a scam artist/low life.

Somebody dumb enough to fall for one of these scams would just fall for a different scam otherwise.

This is the problem with the entire genre.

There is no way of knowing who is 'legitimate' and who is someone in it for money.

What do you think of a person that gives new insight to old evidence that he doesn't believe is credible?
What about the person that presents the same old stuff knowing that it is all bogus hoaxes?

Again, the authors aren't the problem with this genre. The consumers are the problems. There is little discrimination between authors/publishers that promote 'factual evidence' [sic] and those that promote intentional fraud.

I mean, look at Georgio Tsoukalos. How is anything this man says credible evidence of anything? His education is in sports information and communication.

He isn't a scientist.
He isn't an anthropologist.
He is an author and television personality.

And yet he is a trustworthy source? Why? The consumers like him. His hair sells ad time for the History Channel.

Thats true. The horrible truth though is that the majority of people in the media fronting subjects or writing articles about them have little or no real understanding of what they write.

Its mostly recycled articles and repeated interviews.

When you see how badly the media treats a more mundane subject you really do know about it starts you worrying. My god, is all reporting this bad? on every topic? Eventually you realise, yes, yes it is.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
People make money selling water, that taste just as good as the fresh water river down the street from me..

should that be illegal or banned?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Do you work at united amagamated industries lol

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Hay, I really like your flaming fonts, I got to get me some of that, I understand your point, I don't see the harm you alleged, If there actually committing fraud, take them to court & let the judge & jury decide. other than that, why fuss, lots of people spend piles of money on frivolous entertainment, useless education, taxes, insurance, union dues, membership fees & the like. I agree with the comment ~ do you work for the gov. your a distraction just like your nemesis. Thanks ~ just the same ! ! !

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
Thats true. The horrible truth though is that the majority of people in the media fronting subjects or writing articles about them have little or no real understanding of what they write.

Its mostly recycled articles and repeated interviews.

When you see how badly the media treats a more mundane subject you really do know about it starts you worrying. My god, is all reporting this bad? on every topic? Eventually you realise, yes, yes it is.

I know someone who works for a pharmaceutical company that is know for making little 4 cornered pills of a shade of primary color that is not red and not yellow. For legal purposes I will not name directly because publishing on the internet is still publishing, and publishing information of this nature can get a person sued if they are not careful.

A few years back, a bunch of cheese was recalled because the bovine antibiotics that were used to keep industrial milking cows from getting sick (mind you these were preventative antibiotics to keep animals from getting sick, not antibiotics given to sick animals) were culturing in the cheese, turning it black in the packaging.

My friend was in charge of writing the press release assuring the public that there was no health risk. She is not a research scientist, she is in marketing. She was told to make something up and she did.

She was horrified when an anchorperson on a major three letter news outlet read her press release word for word as though it were gospel truth. It dawned on her then and there that whoever controlled the talking heads controlled the whole of the media. She understood the power of marketing, but never understood the power of the politics involved until that moment.

It is my opinion that UFO research is less important than food safety. However, it is just as susceptible to this kind of manipulation by interference from people trying to continue to make money. Is a researcher in ancient alien theory that finds evidence that promotes the idea that man did it without alien help as likely to present that evidence as an archaeologist that finds evidence that it was aliens?

No. The Ancient Alien researcher loses credibility in the eyes of the faithful if he strays from the path even slightly. The money shrivels up.

The archaeologist that finds evidence that promotes the idea that aliens landed and would be a hero on two fronts. First, he would be cited by all of the Ancient Astronaut theorists, and secondly, he would be the scientist credited for the greatest discovery in human history.

Follow the money.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I know a site that relies completely on the U.F.O. community and crappy videos surfacing. In fact without the videos ad revenue would be down and would result in amateur looking site.

Check out their site.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth
I know a site that relies completely on the U.F.O. community and crappy videos surfacing. In fact without the videos ad revenue would be down and would result in amateur looking site.

Check out their site.

Are you serious??

You don't mean..?

Really??

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
OP.. I totally agree. I've been saying this for years! This enigma is fueled by the type of individuals you're referring to; has been for a long time IMO! Is it a form of fraud to sell merchandise on the strength of (in some cases) data from an anonymous source that backs up their opinions in order to sell books etc!? -----

Why wasn't Ray Santilli prosecuted for fraud for the "alien autopsy" footage? & how many of the so called intelligent celebrity ufo researchers that many have grown to love & respect endorsed this footage as probably the real thing!? How embarrassing for them...
The reason many people paid hard earned to watch this footage (in whatever shape or form) was because they were told it's probably the real thing, when in fact those involved new dam well it was complete BOLLOX!! Surely this is fraud? The bull-sh!te will flow long after we're all dead & gone... in 50 years I bet we'll know as much truth about this enigma as we do now; which in the real world is nothing of course!

Peace.

dej...
edit on 4-4-2012 by dejarmaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Many may be fraudulent, but not all are. And I daresay that Stanton Friedman probably knows a great deal more than you do about UFOs. He spent countless hours researching, requesting documents, hundreds of hours in archives. Have you? No.. I don't think so. He has point-blank challenged many skeptic sources (including the government) to debates, all have declined. He would tear them apart. And you, I gather, as well.

But as far as "making money" goes, why not. People sell fiction - it makes money. People sell new age mumbo-jumbo... it makes money. Lots of ridiculous things make money. Why shouldn't those who work with UFO material not make money?

No one is forcing you to go to their seminars, or buy their books. Indeed, if you use that nifty structure called a "library," can you read most of their works for FREE! Go figure.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth

Check out their site.

LOL! Pure gold

And I agree with many others who have stated that if a person is putting all the time, research, travel cost etc into writing something they are certainly within their rights to make a profit out of the end-result. No one is forcing anyone to buy their material.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Why not?

Hollywood profits off of war and fear. The average working Joe profits from some poor laborer across the planet. Wall Street profits off of people losing their homes to bankers.

Why not throw another lobster in the pot for the grand feast?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
And I daresay that Stanton Friedman probably knows a great deal more than you do about UFOs. He spent countless hours researching, requesting documents, hundreds of hours in archives.
A great deal more of what about UFOs? FACTS-TRUTH??? So where are they then? As far as this enigma is concerned, this is what everyone wants, is it not? But, after all the research these people have supposed to have done, they've failed to deliver!! I bet some have earned a great deal of money though-- as an example:

there are 123 thousand libraries in the USA alone. If half of them bought just one of these books for just 1 DOLLAR; that's 60 grand in the bank for them. All on the strength of what? Basically they can write any ol' crap they want, suggesting it's the real deal without having to prove a fekin thing- knowing people will buy it! Not good when you consider some of the data is based on info from an anonymous source! Best scam in the world IMO. You 'go figure' & do the maths.

just my opinion...

peace.

dej...
edit on 4-4-2012 by dejarmaX because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2012 by dejarmaX because: spillin mistook

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dejarmaX
Basically they can write any ol' crap they want, suggesting it's the real deal without having to prove a fekin thing- knowing people will buy it! Not good when you consider some of the data is based on info from an anonymous source! Best scam in the world IMO. You 'go figure' & do the maths.

This is why you don't see books written that demand you believe 2+2= 7. And post theories as to why it is true, even though actual science and math disagrees with it.

Alienism is a religion, and religion is good for business.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
you only live once and getting food for many people and a home over their heads is almost impossible , gullible people get taken for everything they have everyday , life is brutal and you have to do what ever it takes to survive , get an education then a job and try to hold onto it.. make money how you feel is right if its who you are . if you think you are doing the right thing kudos if not you are simply the human animal trying to survive .. err didnt i just say that ? same thing for those who make money of the unknowen they take from the gullible to feed them selves and dont care about you or the next person they rip off , the UFO bussness is an easy one to make money from if you dont care about what people think of you and you are willing to keep up the charade for the rest of your existance

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You cannot prove to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that we aren't
Figments of our own imagination.

So by that hypothesis no one can profit from anything.
Everything is speculation.

Let them profit. Well all but David willcock that guys a c***

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It's entertainment and people are entertained by it. Nobody is forced to pay for anything.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Great post so far everyone; however, If you read back on what I have written my point is this. These guys and others like them are selling this stuff as fact! Isn't that fraud? Shouldn't it be illegal to write about things that you are calling facts, or speak about them - when in fact they are not facts!

Sure we know their frauds, but others who are hard-core believers do just that ,,,Believe! Isn't it kinda a duty to save our fellow brothers who really don't know any better and are being sucked out of their ass-hole into buying this stuff?
edit on 4-4-2012 by Mr_skepticc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by skywalk
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

well after seeing 3 spaceships in my life, im a believer and if you still deny that ufo, alien, etc are among us... well sorry but go back to your cave and just die there.

Wow now thats a bold claim....spaceships you say LOL.

District 9, Independence day...and Star wars right??

Back on topic:

Just look at Youtube, plenty of people are doing the same as these guys on there.
I dont think people should profit from spreading lies and deceit. But as there are plenty of people willing to believe such crap, there is, and always will be a market.

Its entertainment at best, none of it is really real. Though, like matey above, will swear blind what they saw couldnt be anything other than an alien spaceship.

Profiting off of peoples ignorance is one of the easiest ways to make money....look at religion for example.
"You will burn in hell, lose out on your virgins and spend eternity in pain...but if you give us some money we can sort that for you" They dont say it quite as blatantly, but that is the message.

If there is a market, there will be someone willing to exploit it for all its worth. The people you mention are like gods to some of the believers.

It is fraud, but its so widespread it can never be snubbed out.

edit on 4-4-2012 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_skepticc
Great post so far everyone; however, If you read back on what I have written my point is this. These guys and others like them are selling this stuff as fact! Isn't that fraud? Shouldn't it be illegal to write about things that you are calling facts, or speak about them - when in fact they are not facts!

Sure we know their frauds, but others who are hard-core believers do just that ,,,Believe! Isn't it kinda a duty to save our fellow brothers who really don't know any better and are being sucked out of their ass-hole into buying this stuff?
edit on 4-4-2012 by Mr_skepticc because: (no reason given)

The great thing about the First Amendment is that supposition is protected speech, as are opinion based on conjecture. It is up to those demanding fraud to prove damage. What is the damage to be assessed? That is the problem with trying to get a fraud charge to stick. The damages are nonexistent. No one is damaged by a book claiming that aliens are visiting the planet, because the person read the book of his own accord.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Furbs

Not only that, but how are you going to prove anything related to "flying saucers" and "aliens" in open court?

Who would take you seriously?

So, though, fraud may well be a serious ethical matter, you can plainly see that there are some cases that simply avoid issues about it.

I personally don't believe that such types of "people" are worth knowing. I have no common interest with dishonest people. and again, my only real complaint is fiction being presented as truth. Only selfish, trashy (IMO) people do that. Little do they realize how much they contribute to the negativity in the world as they are part of it. I am of the opinion that literary agents would rather publish entertaining lies, than anything that would actually educate the public on any given issue.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join