It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS - What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. True or False?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
False
In the past polio did not always kill but definitely did not make people stronger.
Infact, it made them weaker.
There are other examples also with disease..
Limbo
edit on 5-4-2012 by Limbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Every experience good or bad may generate learning and more wisdom.
It depends on the person living it.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It's not true - what doesn't kill you can;
- leave you physically disabled
- emotionally damaged

It would be better to say what doesn't kill you shapes you are, for better for or worse.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Some things can kill your spirit and once that happens it's done. If your spirit comes up again it's going to be stronger I can tell you that.

It's a more abstract approach but that's how I take it.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by montanasoutherngent

I DID have a strong faith in God. But the suffering I've gone through, and the suffering I've seen has weakened that faith and not made it stronger. And I disagree when you say that people can chose to let the suffering overtake them or not. I totally disagree with that. Everyone has a breaking point. Everyone.

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
Great suffering can lead to the end of suffering.

Great suffering just ticks me off. When I see others suffering and I can't help ... when I have to endure it myself. I can see how it can be a 'lesson' sometimes. But a lot seems just to be a waste ... after being stepped on a lot you tend to get pissed and then numb because, if you aren't numb and you still care, you will go insane. I don't see how that's good for anyone or how it makes them stronger. It just seems to make them less caring.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by repulsive1
From my life experiences that sayings not really true.
It should be "what doesn't kill you makes you numb"

Had to laugh at your remark. Well you know, most of the time the truth is somewhere in the middle. Some things don't kill you and you get to learn and become stronger.

Some things are just plain horrible and you can only try and tolerate them.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
A person can become stronger from experience, only if they are willing. Persons like my little brother, who are incompetent and cowardly, are often unwilling to accept their failure, blame it on something other than them self, and then sit there having not learned a damn thing, becoming stagnant.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

gibberish urself, ur means are obvious to anyone, all what u r from is to take advantage of evil rules, to b from knowledge abuse and destructions of right ones to pretend possessing their values

one is true only bc truth is freedom then individuality is a fact always, then who attack another freedom freely is what reveal evil coming from uppest levels while worse in being its reality fully alone, believing that u free by acting superior to truth while meaning to step on is what prove hell to come

u stop from posting here, words are not positive thing to live through or step upon, u cant use free expressions realities when definitely u r the opposite of free expressions rights

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'd say yes and no. I went through two serious traumas in my younger years and it has definitely shaped who I am today. And who am I today? The type that doesn't take crap from anyone no matter what. But that in and of itself has made me the type of person that is often shielded by walls, with a moat, and piranhas guarding my heart. I am slow to trust if ever, and that brings the downfall of a lot of my personal relationships, but I tend to just pick myself up and move on.

Long story short, again, I say yes and no. But I will also say this, after reading the articles, I seriously doubt I will ever be using that phrase again. Which I have often in the past. No more though. Very enlightening, thank you for the post OP. S&F for you.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by montanasoutherngent
reply to post by absolutely

I am weak but I am strong in Christ Jesus. It does not disprove what does not kill you makes you stronger. I just proves that those who chose Christ can overcome their suffering an stand strong in him, even though we are weak. Many will fall by the way side and live a miserable life until they die and wake up in hell one day. They chose to let their circumstances destroy them. Just because something has not killed them yet, doesn't mean it won't kill them eventually if they let it fester. Either a spiritual death or a physical one. Sin makes us weak but Christ makes us strong.

if jesus makes u then jesus is evil, and ur conscious of another that u choose b ur superior is clearly proving it, in truth it is impossible to b relative that is how conscious is free alone as to b abstract absolute fact, while individuality is what assure objective fact being always right,

bc freedom is true mostly individually then existence cannot b but true reality, individuals cannot b sinners this is an invention of evil oness, the will to exist above truth by abusing freedom right individualities in focusing on truth weakness from individual fact to mean powerful stands over existence free realities

anyone who mean existence positively would exclusively support individual freedom, then what mean individuality being a sin is what clearly mean opposition to existence fact, then it should not exist itself first

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekisu
So in essence are you saying there are no positive or negative experiences, they are all equal opportunities for growth?

no this is what u say not me, i say that when truth is freedom then any is always free so separate absolute fact from any else while also all is any fact that if absolute real could become free too

and im opposite to the concept of growth, it is impossible to reply to what is reversed when truth is the only way of saying
any or individual freedom do not grow, it becomes real so only its realisations can be true but through right connections with objective truth and facts if right realisations of abstract truth conception
while the individual free become more free back of all, which prove how individuality vade pair with objective freedom that has nothing to do with any individual

u cant but mean a purpose or positive end, while freedom by definition has nothing to do with any

purposes or ends are relative means of individual constancies it has nothing to do with truth nor individual essence

in essence individual freedom is value, what is free essentially exist while not exist for objective value superiority, so its way is always through reality of objective value superiority meaning to support it first

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Well....I'm not sure what you mean by saying that I can't stand to see animals hurt but have NO PROBLEM seeing others going through much worse? Why would you think that? I don't want to see ANY living thing hurt...

Dont know why either...Forget it stealthy, some stupid # I had in my head at the time.

If you notice, I stressed that my post only applies to ME...I can't speak for anyone else Galad. There are all kinds of variables you can apply to this subject. I'm only speaking from MY life experience. I can't imagine losing all my limbs or many other scenarios, and I wouldn't pretend to....though I see what you're getting at. All we can do is take what we know from our own lives, and try to learn from it...and YES...derive strength from it.

Ya my point exactly it does not make you stronger in the term that like in lifting weight will make you stronger. Its more of a tear down, and deal with it constantly till you find your own personal way to move on. That personal way is way to different from person to person to really even compare this thing.

That's why when they say stronger, when in reality it's more close to something more simple such as the word's "it simply changed you" Look at it this way, if whatever you say made you stronger actually did that...Would you be willing to go through the whole thing again and again just for the fun of it or to prove it.

No i bet you would not, it's kind of a whole different thing...For most people that word stronger denotes that you would be able to handle that situation and more easily kind of like if you lift 20 pounds with one hand, you do it for a while and then you are able to lift 80 pounds...Then when you go pick up the 20 pounds again its way way lighter in fact its cake.

But in this thing, that is not really the case stealthy, because if most were to go back and be immersed into the same exact situation or things they might have a better clue on what they are doing, but it will still be stumbling along...Just not as much more stumbling then originally, but still no cake walk if you know what I mean.

t's all relative to each of our life experiences (on a side note, you have no way of knowing what my life experiences have been, any more than I do of yours) Every day, in my line of work, I listen first hand to sometimes horrific things. So I think I know how bad things can get. As you mentioned, one man's mountain is another man's molehill....and visa versa.

Ditto.

Another thing I would take why people who have experienced those type of things before seek or are thrust into some roles. Kind of like you and your job, and from what I remember i think it was some sort of 911 dispatcher...Not sure stealthy, so dont quote me.

You know!... I know a guy who did that job for a bit, he quit in like 3 months or something. From what he told me he just couldn't stand it no more, he even said when he went home he used to have dreams about the things and the people that always called. It got to the point were he just couldn't handle it at all, so bam one day he just upped quit and walked away.

I'm no drama queen, just saying I have reasons for what I say and experience to back it up...and leave it at that.

I believe you...No need for a pissing contest or a scar showing contest...I think you just probably might win in this department.

But in a arm wrestling contest I got you beat.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Obi-wan Kenobi thought differently, no?

Interesting thread and mined articles.

That paridigm is pretty warrior/masculine oriented (I know, I know... many women are tougher than nails- just using broad terms) and might be antiquated to a point, but from personal experience I'd say a few difficulties in life tempers one's psychological structure to make one a tad more interesting if nothing else. It is too bad that is so, though.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkinin
A person can become stronger from experience, only if they are willing. .

But many experiences are so bad that they break a person. They break their minds and/or their wills. They destroy their self esteem and their ability to even function. PTSD ... anxiety attacks .. neither are things that a person can just talk themselves into being better. They are so bad that they actually break a person.

So how does PTSD or having anxiety attacks make anyone 'stronger'?
I only see it weakening a person who was strong BEFORE those things happen.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Experience makes you grow, except for when you commit evil actions, that just tightens the chains of the false ego and makes you more blind/weaker.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Great relpy! I surely do see your point.....thanks for the explaination.
It is odd how people who have been trhough a lot pick stressful jobs. Maybe by helping others, I am helping myself, who knows? I never really thought about it, but you have a point there!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The proper quote : "Out of life's school of war: What does not destroy me, makes me stronger" ~ Twilight of the Idols.

Nietzsche never spoke of war in a literal sense. Usually it was in the context of battling against common morality and mediocrity, to withstand the prevailing doctrines and dogmas of the day and to generate your own subjective morality. To become a "new philosopher" one must constantly wage war against outdated systems while re-evaluating all values. This constant battle against the shackles of common morality make one a uniquely free individual. He only spoke of inner battles.

Obviously you're not stronger if you lose a limb; you're weaker if you have a colostomy bag; you're weaker if you have kidney failure. Nietzsche himself likely suffered from syphilis and had horrible headaches; he wasn't speaking of such obviousness.

He left a lot of his writing up to interpretation, hence his aphoristic style. It had been so badly interpreted that it even became the philosophy of much of the Third Reich, despite the fact that Nietzsche detested nationalism and anti-semites. He knew his philosophies were beyond the capabilities of the rabble, and I find humor when I see Nietzsche's "domesticated herd-animal" try to interpret his aphorisms. Most likely, all of his writing needs to be read in its entirety in order to interpret any of his ambiguous aphorisms in their intended context.

If you haven't read Twilight of the Idols, I would highly recommend it. It was the last book he personally published before going crazy. It is a really beautiful piece of art, much like most of his work in my opinion.

edit on 6-4-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: ETA

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

ATS - What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. True or False?

I would reword to say...

That which does not kill you, and that leaves you in a position to advance... makes you stronger.

But that which does not kill you, but leaves you broken and/or disabled to continue on... has beaten you.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

you are freedom, if freedom appear superior negatively to u as if u r for sure less, then u r not freedom

and this is the point of all that evil argument, mean to force ur mind to accept being only existing without a breath of ur truth being free
as existing, that evil argument is targeting takin advantage of ur blindness to all existence then and its objective fact, by meaning urself existence as one thing as if it is all to u

in objective fact, existing is not existence, when existence is principally all reality, the all reality of ur body and self is not the all reality of everything and everyone

that is why even there u r never strong one

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Some examples of what doesn't kill you makes you stronger........Charlie Sheen, Robert Downey Jr., Keith Richards, Lindsey Lohan, and Courtney Love to name a few. These folks are able to ingest massive quantities of toxic substances and keep coming back and making hit movies and keep riding the fame train. So I vote TRUE, what doesn't kill you does make you stronger.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join