It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS - What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. True or False?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Sometimes that is true, but not always. The statement is far too broad, thus eliminating the possibility of it being true 100% of the time.

Whatever doesn't kill you, is gonna Leave A Scar

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

evil oness powerful wills force u to experience urself through negative ways while it is all to them free life they get without doing any but destroying truth rights so they exist alone as absolute powers on existence freedom

experiencing urself is from realizing else existence, u dont need to suffer for this
when the positive fact is not the other but the fact that u r ur own source, this what makes u aware of a lot details that matters while u must stay still true with

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hm.

I think it depends on what aspect is getting strong, I think.

Let's say you stub your toe. That isn't going to make you physically stronger (although it may callus the skin). However, it would make you mentally stronger. By stronger I mean, you now have the mental power to be aware of the deadly dresser leg and avoid it.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
What doesn't kill you doesn't kill you, indeed.

Life is ephemeral Heaven and Hell depending on how you treat it in every moment.

Accept suffering and achieve atonement through it. I love therefore I will live.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Spiritually bankrupt people will be unaffected spiritually, though some nonbelievers may be turned into believers. Shameful, yes, but weak minds are weak minds.

As for physically stronger/weaker, no, definitely not. Try asking a paraplegic who suffers from a spinal injury, "well, it didn't kill you, did it make you feel stronger?" I doubt any would say yes.

Then again, there is the case of something that makes you physically weak making you, in turn, emotionally/spiritually stronger, and vice versa. Balance tends to be upheld in the universe. You can, for example, be involved in a terrible car accident, never fully recover, and yet find yourself drawn to the possibility that god exists and he/she/it/ has blessed you, resulting in fortified faith. I've often seen people develop belief in god after witnessing something horrible or suffering through something horrible; the faith is their way of justifying their struggle.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

I am weak but I am strong in Christ Jesus. It does not disprove what does not kill you makes you stronger. I just proves that those who chose Christ can overcome their suffering an stand strong in him, even though we are weak. Many will fall by the way side and live a miserable life until they die and wake up in hell one day. They chose to let their circumstances destroy them. Just because something has not killed them yet, doesn't mean it won't kill them eventually if they let it fester. Either a spiritual death or a physical one. Sin makes us weak but Christ makes us strong.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Relevant to this is the shamanism thread that just got 404ed. What the Hell, ATS? Controlled by your adverti$er$ policies much? Deny ignorance unless we profit less, then it's all for censorship and keeping people in the dark. Shame.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by absolutely

Originally posted by bekisu
reply to post by absolutely

Hey...um could you clarify? I'm having a hard time following. Could you maybe phrase this another way? I don't want to respond to it until I'm sure I understand the message you are trying to relay.

Are you saying that believing there is a lesson to be learned in some kind of experience would in fact not make you stronger, because you're relying on the belief that there is a lesson to be learned when there may not be?

yea also, but the major superior point so out of all is to get the fact that u must b only u absolutely bc truth exist so u must be free superior as an individual otherwise u cant be an individual, and if u r not a true individual then u will b possessed easily by others powers or else, and what possess individuals inferiorities are always evil livings meaning objective rights abuse for absolute freedom constant wealth still

the point of being true too, is what positive existence is superior one, it means that if u see smthg being objectively absolute positive u must leave it all there and get out
so even if there are some good lessons as u call it, dont learn them they are not urs
but learn but what u do from the start alone
to me the right attitude constant with others and else is simply in realizing a relative reality with its rights, dont ever see other or else as superior to learn from
superiority is only freedom truth, and since truth exist then superiority as u exist is u, the only freedom that exist absolutely in constant terms

So in essence are you saying there are no positive or negative experiences, they are all equal opportunities for growth?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
True to a point but False because there's only so much suffering one can tolerate in which case you become weaker.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
adverse experiences do, in fact, appear to foster subsequent adaptability and resilience, with resulting advantages for mental health and well being....

edit on 4/4/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

Makes sense to me. I think that saying though applies more to psychological hardships than physical, even though physical pain can lead to emotional distress.

I've been told by someone who was trained to spot these sorts of things that my level adaptability is superior. I'll take her word for it because I never really looked at myself that way before. What I call change others call adaptability I guess. All I know is that I learn from my experiences and most of my experiences in life were not favorable. It didn't help that even though I learned how to be strong and resilient I didn't learn enough to stop putting myself in harms way. I'm a sucker for punishment I guess.

But that evaluation of that part of me did shed some new light on the subject. It took someone else to tell me that I'm able to adapt to new situations better than most. Someone who, I think, has never been in the types of situations I have to where they HAD to adapt.

Funny how it can take someone who is seemingly opposite from you in that regard to see from a "clinical" point of view that personal side of you which you never saw before. It's almost as if they took it wrong and made it right.

It was a heck of a pill to swallow but it didn't kill me. It made me stronger and adapt to it accordingly.

Thank you for that by the way, among other things.

edit on 4-4-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
i thought about the adage...'If it doesn't kill you It makes you stronger'

it sounds like a solid thought... but
From my experience the adage does not hold water...

i had a brain hemorrhage (burst vein: aneurism) and i am in no way better off or 'stronger'
than i was before the event that i lived through.

the only positive thing i experienced is that the occasional migranes (i used to have maybe twice a year)
have been absent for the 15 years since i had 3 clamps placed in my brain

my sense of balance is diminished & I need daily doses of 'anti-vert' (dizzinesss) Meds.
i cannot run/jump/much less high jump as i practiced for years...along with keeping healthy fit
i now require a cane, possess no drivers license, and can only exert myself for 15 minute spans for a 4 hour duration

does that sound like 'being stronger'

No.... the event does not make one 'stronger', the NON-killing event only affirms that YOU were indeed 'stronger' than you thought you were to begin with

call my thought semantics... but i think my position is more realistic to the reality of the situation

thanks
edit on 4-4-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Interesting thread OP, I'm sorry it seems to have been inspired because of health issues, and wish you well.

There is such wide rage of experiences, that depending on multiple factors and degrees of "trama" may or may not "make one stronger" I think most "bad" things will make us "smarter" or more aware. Some will "cope" by being more "proactive" others may "retreat" .or a combination of both.

I will spare you all the details, but the last 5 years have been brutal, life changing financial set-backs and some health issues as well. Once I got over the "shock" and grief my reaction was to aquire as much knowledge as possible to figure out what the hell happened? I was basically still young and healthy, early 40's, no weight problems, some risk factors in terms of lifestyle choices ( nothing extreme, but had to be factored in.), healthy diet ( so I thought anyways, then I learned about GM foods, hormones, flouride, Monsanto, damm that almost "killed" me, lol ) anyways, my "coping" method led to a journey, and I guess you might say "awakening" of a whole new understanding of the world around me, and has lead to some real "soul-searching".

At the end of the day...all my research and searching leads me more to God, and I used to be an agnostic,, I don't say this lightly, and trust me when I tell you I have , lol, tried to "debunk" God or make sence of how ancient writings and religions, and how EVERYTHING around us is influenced, and I think if your "pissed" , and understandably so, maybe the focus should be more on "Satan" the very evil forces around us BELIEVE in him and are working toward his end, sickness , deciet and ultimate control through any means , and it's "sick".

This is no time to turn our backs on God, and it's gonna suck, faith will be tested, and it's going to be hard, hang in there......

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I believe this to be true....but not for all. In MY experience, it's true. I have had a pretty hard life, which many may not have been able to handle. Today, I can take just about anything life throws at me, when others around me cave. I learned to never give up and never give in, and it has served me well. Yes, I sometimes think a situation may be hopeless, but I always seem to find a way and learn from it. I really think I could survive just about anything. So...my answer is yes.
And OP....I wish you all the best and MORE.
edit on 4/4/2012 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
As long as I learn something from my experience and apply it positively by my own will for my benefit or sharing my knowledge with others to save them. Looking at the grand scheme knowing that I will eventually die, I have no fear of death, only cautiousness. I will never go back to the naivety and recklessness of my youth - That's a promise.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
What ever doesn't kill ATS members makes them stronger

And

Whatever does kill ATS members also makes them stronger

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Lets see.... I've endured a tornado destroying my home on my birthday when I turned 17..increased sense of humor... alcoholic mother who died early from DTs, learned not to drink, disabled child; patience...first ex husband was a dope fiend; learned I had a killer left hook...second ex husband was a cheater; learned I won't marry again and that saltpetere works wonders on a man's libido....HELL YES I'M STRONGER. I'm faster, meaner, and leaner for the trials and tribulations of my life. I was bullied all through school and now I've got a razor wit and viciously sinister tongue for those inept little beasts who never grew up. I have bi-polar depression but I also have medication to keep me from meltdown... and believe me, that is a gift not for my sake but for all the fools and twits I have to endure on a daily basis. Yes, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. You have to endure the fires in order to become more than what you were. There are no swords made that can take more than one blow that haven't been tempered first.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Great suffering can lead to the end of suffering.
youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I'll go with the joker on this one...Whatever doesn't kill you makes you...stranger.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dude69

Ha! That's true as well...explains much about me I fear

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

True and False

I have found that things and time have made me mentally stronger, but physically weaker.

After a while I started to take my ques from nature.

I have a cronic disease, and have seen a huge connection to stress both physical and mental. I have a strong feeling that the stresses we face/have faced have a huge impact on how our future "stronger" looks.

Whatever "could" have killed me has only strengthened my reserve to live Stronger to experience what life there is.

All the folks I seen pass had one thing in common, they loved life...every second so I strive to do the same.

Peace
edit on 4-4-2012 by Treespeaker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join