It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist creates "Super Virus" that easily spreads through humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
This story gave me shivers!

A scientist created a hybrid of the H5N1 and Bird Flu which can easily be transmitted by humans and potentially cause a world-wide pandemic.

A SCIENTIST who worked on a "super virus" to make it spread easily between humans has defended his actions and revealed how he created it.
Professor Yoshihiro Kawaoka at the University of Wisconsin-Madison said he made a hybrid flu strain by merging H5N1 bird flu with the "swine flu" virus that caused a pandemic in humans in 2009, The Guardian reports.
Science magazine described the new strain as a virus "that could change world history if it were ever set free".
Prof Kawaoka said the experiments were "important for pandemic preparedness” and emphasised the need for countries to stockpile vaccines to combat bird flu.
Working in a high-security laboratory, Prof Kawaoka said he wanted to find out whether the bird flu virus could pick up genetic mutations in the wild that would allow it to adapt to humans and spread rapidly like seasonal flu.

Read more: www.news.com.au... #ixzz1r3Xw2kNl

www.news.com.au... 534609

I know the 'reason' for creating this super bug is to study it and learn from it but honestly there are far-reaching outcomes which could devastate the human population if it got into the wrong hands or if it was "accidentally" let out.

Isn't this like inventing a new form of weaponry so that you can make a bullet-proof vest for it?

What are your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
No.

There is absolutely no reason to create a "super virus" just to study it.

It's called producing a biological weapon, I don't care how you spin the story.

The is eerily reminiscent of Dr. Mary's Monkey.

Humanity is going to wind-up destroying itself. It's inevitable.

Edit to add:

And just how do they know it "easily spreads through humans"? How many have they already tried it on? Every time a new super-virus comes into the news they try to scare the hell out of us by saying "it could easily transfer to humans if it mutates"...

So how do they already know this one works on people?
edit on 4-4-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Kalixi

SOO MANY IDENTICAL THREADS BRAIN MELTING MEEELLLLLTTTTIIINNNGGGG

PLEASE ALWAYS DO A SEARCH BEFORE POSTING

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I'm just looking forward to the one that makes humans sterile. The sooner the better.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
hav u guys made the connection yet as to why GOV is pushing passive immunity (vaccines) for each separate strain/season?

rt.com...

hint - they dont want humans to have acquired immunity 'super' antibodies that may resist intentional killer strains

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
If I use my tools and build some additional skill to make new things from steel and aluminum, it's a good thing. Even profitable.
If I use those skills to make a machine gun and a silencer, I'll go to prison...as I probably should. All things being equal.

If I use my intelligence and become a microbiologist, THAT is also a good thing. Highly profitable. The machine shop guy can build my toys for me. If I then use those skills to build a weapon capable of killing a % of he entire human species...well, I don't go to prison. I get a friggen award. Now where do we all sign up to be biologists? That's a pretty good gig for the % who have no human morals.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kalixi

America must create one of these Doomsday Viruses! We can not allow a Doomsday Virus Gap! MEIN FUHER I CAN WALK!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
OMG this is the first time I've heard about this, living under a rock and all!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Kalixi

Seems like it was deleted, or something. Guess what.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
WHEN the masses rise up against the PTB it's time to release the virus Eugenics, cull the flock. Fear being the biggest motivator, they could do it with just a pandemic scare and remove the masses with a vaccine.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
There is a very urgent need to research viruses like this. In nature viruses often pickup and lose genetic code due to mutations. This virus is required to study how to treat such a mutation when it occurs. If we don't find treatments for it now when it's under our control then when this mutation pops up all by itself in nature we will be totally unprepared. Science can't win! People either complain that research such as this is being done or complain when outbreaks happen and there are no effective treatments available!

Face reality, this WILL occur in nature eventually. Better to prepare now than not prepare and possibly loose millions of human lives trying to develop a treatment in the future.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Maybe one day vaccines will be spread with a virus.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anon77
There is a very urgent need to research viruses like this. In nature viruses often pickup and lose genetic code due to mutations. This virus is required to study how to treat such a mutation when it occurs. If we don't find treatments for it now when it's under our control then when this mutation pops up all by itself in nature we will be totally unprepared. Science can't win! People either complain that research such as this is being done or complain when outbreaks happen and there are no effective treatments available!

Face reality, this WILL occur in nature eventually. Better to prepare now than not prepare and possibly loose millions of human lives trying to develop a treatment in the future.

I'm sorry, I just have to disagree and say what was done here was not only wrong, it was foolhardy. Ill conceived. The man is lucky beyond description that he wasn't outright killed and his work stolen....before we even get INTO the ethical black hole of making such a thing in the first place. I'd read a bit more here and done more thinking on this, and it ought to be criminal. I don't mean he should be prosecuted somehow, but NO ONE should be legally allowed to follow i his footsteps outside of lvl 4 military labs with all the security they bring.

How safe would you feel with a few nuclear weapons sitting at a university campus and the public then learning they're there.... without a military base surrounding them? This bug makes a nuke look like a firecracker. A Nuclear Weapon is only a localized effect. A city...tops. Terrible...tragic...but manageable. This IDIOT made death itself capable of taking a % of our world's population! He did this on a UNIVERSITY Campus?? I don't see any mention anywhere that he was working with or under USAMRID..and I don't know any other authority in this nation capable of working with and safely developing such a nightmare.

Just a question..and why I'm really in shock after giving this thought..... Going back to that nuke question... How far would terrorists go to get something like this? Heck.... Why bother. Never Mind. Half the challenge would be confirming it COULD be done for certain, at all. Now he's confirmed it for the world...good and bad. Everyone knows if they work hard enough and long enough.....it won't be a wasted effort. Homicide on a PLANETARY level is possible!

No.. No one should be allowed to bioengineer world killing bugs like this. NEVER EVER in the civilian world. Some things *HAVE* to be military for a bunch of reasons. Here is #1, IMO.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
The time is drawing closer, ya'll all better be ready

I can ride my bike with no handlebars, no handlebars, no handlebars...

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit, you make some very good points.
But I still would say this research is needed (Although I do definitely agree that this stuff needs far more security and tighter controls) this may possibly be the only chance we have to find a cure whilst we still control it. If no research is done then it could lead to major loss of life whilst we attempt to find a cure after we've already been hit hard by it at some point in the future. Fact is that eventually IT WILL mutate into this form in nature. Could be in 10 mins could be in 10 million years. I think with the correct controls in place we are safer having done this research than not.

new topics

top topics

join