It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May have another area with strange noises starting.. (Niagara Falls, NY)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Just saw this on the facebook page of one of our local news stations and the first thing I thought of was the strange noises being heard in various parts of the world. Could be nothing, but I thought it might be interesting to follow one of these unexplained noise cases from the start. (If it is in fact one)

News 4 viewers have been asking about some explosions in Sanborn late Tuesday night. We checked with the Niagara County Sheriff's Office, where a dispatcher told us they sent a patrol in the area and couldn't find anything amiss.

www.facebook.com...

People have responded to the post saying they did hear the noises and as of yet, the source is unknown.

I'm hoping that there is a mundane source of the noises because this is a little to close to home for my comfort.

(I'll post additional sources as soon as the station adds it to their website.)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

I didn't want to start a thread on this because I cannot record sound.
I live in North Western North Carolina right near Tennessee.

some time ago I had the more common strange sounds. Like an airplane flying in circles over my house for 30 minutes with this weird metal sound mixed in at parts. sounded like how Jupiter sounds or those buddhist caves.
I posted about it in a thread that was started about that exact sound originating in South Jersey.

LINK to South Jersey Thread

Today I heard booms. I was in the Army and it sounds exactly like artillery shells exploding, far downrange.
The thing about it though, there were not the sort of stormy clouds out. It started out of nowhere with a hugely loud thunder burst. I went outside to find no dark clouds anywhere close. The whole sky was covered in white "happy" clouds. That was strange, but I decided probably normal.

Next thing I know it's like BOOOM! boom. Boom. with a rumble behind it. The booms lasted maybe 5-8 minutes. I got the impression that it sounded like underground explosions. Some of these booms rattled our windows, even though they seemed far away. There were no visable lightening strikes.

I stayed outside for the duration (it was drizzling kinda). I kept trying to smell explosives, my mind was convinced on the Artillery shell idea. I never did though.

I can't decide whether this was just thunder that sounded like bombs, or if it was something else, but with all the reports it's looking like something new.

EDIT: this was around 6:30PM ET Tuesday Night or so
edit on 4/4/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

Finally Found it, and I'm slightly worried:
USGS

"Earthquake "booms" have been reported for a long time, and they tend to occur more in the Northeastern US and along the East Coast"

"There are accounts of "artillery"-like sounds that were said to have occurred before or during the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-1812."

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I did not hear the sounds myself as I'm on the other side of the county,inside my house, with the music playing, but I can say it's cloudy with no signs of any storm rolling in. (so not likely thunder)

There is a military base very close by so it is possible that it was something from the base. I do have to say though, most people around here are used to that noises from the base, so I doubt it was any air traffic because it is something every resident in the county has heard plenty of times before.

Hopefully they'll have more on the news in the morning. (What am I talking about? It is morning... haha.... Stupid insomnia)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

Yes I have the same problem. It's why I said I heard the sounds today, but I meant Tuesday haha. Sleeping is for silly healthy people who like being awake for work ha

I'm wondering when EXACTLY did this happen. Was it the same time for them and me?

Also, Did you see my USGS link?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
S & F

this could be connected with the recent Niagara Falls' Indian Falls escarpment's top shell breaking off after hundreds if not thousands of years intact - 35 X 10 ft isnt that small a slab of waterfall rock!!

"The most recent documented earthquake sounds were from a swarm of small earthquakes that unnerved the city of Spokane, WA in 2001." -- 2001? USGS has GOT to be kidding us!. (seriously, i wouldnt be surprised if they are)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
reply to post by lynn112

I'm wondering when EXACTLY did this happen. Was it the same time for them and me?

No time has been given yet, but I'd guess it was sometime between 10pm-midnight EST.

Also, Did you see my USGS link?

Yes, thanks for the link. I've heard of booms being heard before an earthquake hits & I know we do have some in our area. The only one I've actually felt is the one centered near Syracuse NY that happened several years ago. Wierdest thing I've ever felt. Just stepped out of bed and fell back onto it because I couldn't get my balance. Pictures were rattling and such. Not something I want to experience again, certainly not on a larger scale.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
S & F

this could be connected with the recent Niagara Falls' Indian Falls escarpment's top shell breaking off after hundreds if not thousands of years intact - 35 X 10 ft isnt that small a slab of waterfall rock!!

In the youtube video of this (in the other thread recently posted) it says the shelf broke off in 2011, so this may not be the cause, unless another peice has broken off.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

Just saw your thread about the escarpment and I'm hoping it is not connected because I'm not sure I want to know what mother nature has in store for us if it is connected.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

Ok I had been looking for this post I had read that offered another theory. It sounded interesting. Interesting enough for me to waste 20 minutes looking for it anyway.

Post about Booms

from linked post:

A further description was supplied in 1895 by Colonel H.S. Olcott from the Barisal and Chalmari regions of the Brahmaputra. The sounds came to be known as the "Barisal Guns." Charles Sturt, discoverer of the Darling and Murray rivers, heard them in Australia in 1828-9 and commented: "It was not a terrestrial sound although it might have resembled a discharge of heavy artillery."

Me from the Jersey thread:

the sound stayed and kept almost going into that weird metal sound that I thought was faked. Kind of a sound you would hear in a movie when something HUGE was happening...

I can't begin to guess what this sound was or is. It sounded umm supernatural. Like a sound you would hear while meditating... Or crossing through dimensions... or something weird like that...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

I can't seem to find a date on the collapse. Best I can say is at least before April 1st, which is when the video made it onto youtube.. Kind of a suspect date I guess, but it seems legit.

So it's not the cause of the sounds at least, but are they related?

I don't know.

EDIT: wow im silly I watched the video now. Doh... Early 2011, got it...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
LOL well then that elimates the collapse CAUSING the booms, unless that's one heck of a long ECHO

anyways increased seismic or atmospheric disturbances (including 'booms' may be precipitating some of these 'popping tiles' and a collapsing waterfall shelf here and there... not anywhere as bad as japan tho

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I'm thinking that yes, all of that is related.

I think it all ties back to the New Madrid fault.

It seems to be waking up.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Small EQ 2.5 reported at Olcott, ny (next to sanborn,ny) where the boom was reported at the same time as the boom.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Sorry, I did not take notice that this thread was posted 4/4/12. But hey, it happened again, loud boom noise & EQ 10/26/2012!

new topics

top topics

join