It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transparent, Flexible 3D Memory Chips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I read this article and started to think about the possibilities it implies. It's really an amazing development that could change quite a few things if it takes off. The idea that the memory for your phone will be a thin, transparent layer that is part of the screen instead of a chip inside it is cool.

The article doesn't have any pictures. I kind of wish it did so I could gauge the capacity in comparison to the size of a typical USB thumb drive.

Transparent, Flexible 3D Memory Chips

New memory chips that are transparent, flexible enough to be folded like a sheet of paper, shrug off 1,000-degree Fahrenheit temperatures — twice as hot as the max in a kitchen oven — and survive other hostile conditions could usher in the development of next-generation flash-competitive memory for tomorrow’s keychain drives, cell phones and computers, a scientist reported.

Manufacturers could embed them in glass for see-through windshield displays for everyday driving, military and space uses so that not only is the display in the windshield, but also the memory.

Sounds like a great technology, I hope it gets rolled out soon.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

it sounds really cool, but of course its probably going to be used for evil, since its so easy to hide in plain sight right...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

it sounds really cool, but of course its probably going to be used for evil, since its so easy to hide in plain sight right...

Oh jeez! way to bring me down about something potentially cool! lol... fair point though really, and you're probably right.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

It's interesting you mention that. I thought about this possibility when the article mentioned that it was already used on a Russian spacecraft. Unfortunately, the spacecraft crashed in Siberia.

However, these things always tend to get scooped up by the military or other groups for some nefarious endeavor instead of getting cool inventions out to the people as fast as the market can facilitate.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The implications of this are truly amazing. Imagine a tablet pc the size of a sheet of paper, a tv that is little more than a piece if glass on the wall, smart hud's for everything from cars and aircraft to everyday uses like a pair of glasses you can use to browse the web. These are just the possibilities we can think of. With tech like this, the true excitement will come with innovation. Who cares what someone else is going to do with it? It is not our place to decide.

top topics

join