It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Thought's on Time Travel, Parallel Universes, Alternate Timelines and Paradoxes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I have pondered the thought of time, and time travel for a long time, and so far this is what I have came up with...

I believe that time travel is possible, although highly improbable. The amount of energy that it would take to make time travel possible is immense.

Also, parallel universes (PU) exist, and that each decision or reaction creates a new reality, or an alternate timeline (AT). Albeit, the changes can be very small and very indifferent, they are there otherwise. The changes can also be immense, due to the butterfly effect.

The reason why I bring up parallel universes/alternate timelines, is because of paradoxes. There cannot be any paradoxes due to the fact that your presence in the past creates a new PU/AT, even if you arrive and stand still. It adds what I would like to say, another number to the complex probabilities of life. Hence, you can kill your own grandfather, but nothing will happen to you, since you on a whole other timeline.

Bad news everyone! (Dr. Farnsworth's voice) This ^ means that you cannot change anything from your past (the past is permanent.)

Well, ok, not entirely permanent, (I lied) but again, Highly HIGHLY improbable to change. And still, you would have no memory of doing so. In order to time travel backwards and stay in the same timeline you are now, you would have to reverse every change perfectly. every molecule, every atom, every quark, neutrinos, ect. and not for just your local area. For the ENTIRE Universe. And yet, even then one change from your past (which by the way, you wouldn't know if you had changed anything significant, since in reversing every molecule that had ever existed, you also erased your own memory) would still create an PU/AT. And thats all going without saying that you would need a MASSIVE energy source to conduct this, that wouldn't shut down the second you turn it on, since the spark that made it work wasn't even started the second before.

Anyway, I'm getting off of here for tonight. (Had to write this down before I get some shut eye. It's 11 pm CST). I want to welcome anyone up for discussion on this to please chime in (I love this subject, and would love new ideas and thoughts on it, since I cannot find anyone near me that comprehends these kind of things). I will try to be on tomorrow sometime, I do have a busy work schedule, so it can be hard for me to get online sometimes. ALSO. I do love topics such as this, so If you have any discussions that I might be interested in, just send me a U2U and I will try to chime in on whatever thoughts you may have. Thanks!

edit on 4/3/2012 by Angelsoftheapocalypse because: Forgot to close Parenthesis

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Hmm, interesting. I cannot say that I agree with the bulk of your hypothesis, but it is nonetheless interesting. I have a question: Does every single nanosecond of a person's life equate to the creation of a parallel universe? Since every single possible outcome to any action does in fact occur in a PU, would they not have to be created infinitely? And for every person on Earth? I am genuinely curious.

What about animals? Are PU created based on their decisions, since in fact they have some level of consciousness? One more question: AFTER one of these PU are created, "who" is actually in control of the manifested person? I am not consciously aware of being in an infinite number of PU's, therefore it must be someone else. My question is who?

If it is someone just like me, do I have any link to them at all? Also, do they have my memories from the past, and then as you said, due to the Butterfly Effect, basically greatly diverge from their starting point? It is all very cool, and a bit difficult to comprehend at times.

I agree that this could solve some of the paradoxes that you mentioned, but I cannot help but think that for time travel to enter the picture, even as a hypothetical possibility, there must be some connection between these PU's, therefore a connection may also exist between the multiple forms of the same person. I hope you understand what I am saying, because it doesn't sound all that coherent to me, lol. I explained it the best way I could though.
edit on 4/3/12 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Not the most eloquent of post's but I get the jist of it. I like to think of Dimensions and Time more like a PC running multiple Simulations in RAM memory. These sims are utilizing some of the same RAM over time and sometimes code hangs up in memory and hence we see glitches or ghost's or something unexplainable.

These simulations are left to run their course and as we are sentient and self aware but limited to a basic instruction set within our program we cant look at the other programs running alongside ours. The fact we have the entire complete instruction set of commands makes us powerful beings inside this simulation but because we are given a limitation we are bound to walk instead of fly lets say.

Along the way our experiences and emotions make us unique and valuable to the programmer(s) so our collection of "life experience" is no doubt backed up and stored after our part of the simulation ends. We could be rolled out at a later date to have this life experience set to start off another Simulation which requires a higher base to begin with and hence the stories of NDE's and after death experiences. When say you die and get backed up automatically, but the you are requested to return to the sim due to a problem but when you are taken back into the sim they don't bother to erase the bit after you left the sim because it get messy. There would be error checking where the life is reviewed and an evaluation of it done by the experiencer to confirm its validity.

I think nearly everything can be explained by living inside this PC Simulation we call life. Its possible the programmer(s) are looking for something or answers to something only a vast simulation of reality could find I don't know but one thing is for sure....the Programmer(s) are living in the real Universe and have simply built this one through programming as a simulation of some kind.

Perhaps when we go into "sleep mode" this is where concepts are sent to us and where the only outside influence is allowed. Maybe in this mode other programs written by malicious coders can access us and try and influence us in other ways such as visions ect..

It all makes sense when you view our reality like this.
edit on 3-4-2012 by mazzroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
The paradoxes mostly seems to be present if you're assuming that time travel affects the timeline/universe you come from. Which is most likely not the case.

As for the feasibility of time travel, I've come to the conclusion that it will come in the form of computer simulations; looking at our current path, computers are proving to be a rapidly evolving, symbiotic technology completely changing the way human beings live (& exist). Eventually we'll harness enough processing power --- perhaps a mix of classical and quantum --- to simulate anything from our own historical past, to that of any possible reality. Fantasy can become reality. Fiction can become non-fiction.

Giving rise to an age of human consciousness & exploration like no other. The imagination will become a boundless frontier with infinite possibilities, all at our 'fingertips'. We're already there in some way, but only at the infant stages.

Oh, and this is all assuming... we don't blow each-other up before then, or aren't wiped out by a natural extinction event.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelsoftheapocalypse

What you describe is the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. But why do you suppose that time travel into past is equivalent to reverting any events happened since then? I've never heard of such constraint. Relativistic time machines like wormholes where one end is older than the other most certainly don't require it.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Don't take the title too literal, just watch, erm, listen

edit on 4-4-2012 by OmegaSynthesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
As everything is all happening all, at the same time,
and time being the illusion that creates the spaces between past and future
one might say that time travel is consciously possible but not physically possible
psychic's move around in these time spaces and come back with some incredible information

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

To answer your questions, I believe that yes, every single nanosecond of a person's life equates to the creation of a parallel universe. Although most people think of things as sizes we can understand, I believe that every rule to time travel exists at all sizes, whether it be microscopic, or massive.
Yes, I believe that everything is infinite. Animals, plants, even whole planets, stars, solar systems, galaxies, universes all have parallel universes.
AFTER the PU is created, each person or thing is in "control" of only its PU. The way I can try to explain it, is like self replicating nano bots.. as one is multiplied into 2, 4, 8, 16, so on and so fourth, They are in control of only themselves.
There may be a master/creator (a god figure if you will) but I am unsure of this. (I have no religion per say)
Also, yes, you will share a lot of the same memories as the "others" in PU's but with some slight, and sometimes drastic changes..
Yes, there must be some sort of connection between PU's, an origin if you will, but If you change anything within that point, all it does is add another PU.

I know, I can be hard to comprehend sometimes, but I will try to explain it to the best that I can.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by moebius

I believe in such constraints as only a part of the whole time travel thought. It doesn't have to happen that way, but in order to change anything from your past to affect you personally, you would have to reverse everything. I believe there is no possible way to change your personal past unless you do so.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for your input. I have read all of the posts, and like all of them (esp. the computer simulation one, it reminds me of the matrix). I have not however had time to look at the videos, but I definitely will when I can find the time. Also, I know I can be hard to comprehend, not due to my mental capacities, but due to not knowing how to find the correct words to say what I want to express. Again, thank you for reading and imputing on my post!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaSynthesis

I love this guy's train of thought on this video. I could seriously chat with him for hours. Thanks for this, It actually made my day (so far... lets see how work goes.
)

top topics

join