It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are So Many People Debating About Gay Marriages? You've All Got It All Wrong!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Marriage is between you, your partner and your spirituality. What it means, is what it means to you. I want to get married, but it will have nothing to do with politicians or state paperwork. State marriage is a relic that needs to be abolished.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
A gay kid doesn't think about sex any more than a heterosexual kid does. What does a heterosexual 12 yr old girl think about? Her crush on Justin Beiber. Does that mean she is thinking about sex acts? Probably not. What does a homosexual 12 yr old boy think about? His crush on Justin Bieber. Does that mean he is thinking about sex acts? Probably not.

Pshhh
I wouldn't want my 12yr old girl having a crush on Justin Bieber either to be honest

When I was a kid I never had a crush on any girl at that age
I always wanted to play, go to the park, play dodge ball or go to the library to read
I don't know how they did it but my parents raised me to be very curious about science, the world, the universe.... everything, and be a kid and have fun.

Now parents are watching Glee or American Idol while their kids have crushes on Bieber
Life is just a distraction to them

I want my kids to grow up like I did!!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I agree with you.

If gays are taxpayers, they should be allowed the benefits under the tax code that marriage provides. They should be able to have the legal right to be considered "family" when it comes to things like hospitals and life insurance benefits.

Nobody says they have to get married in church, but they certainly should be able to get married in a civil ceremony.

It is only fair. Personal prejudices and religious predilections should have no place in this discussion, because it is a question of equal rights under the law. Sexual preference should not exclude one from having the same rights as everybody else.

I cannot believe that, in this day and age, we are still having this argument. What gay people do when it comes to civil unions doesn't affect me one bit.

And yeah....if you're going to use the "sanctity of marriage" argument, then divorce should be illegal. Straight people have made a mockery of marriage. Let the gays have a crack at it, maybe they can get it right.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Also I want to add something very important

If this thread became a debate then NewSoul WON!!!!

While she was patiently giving her arguments and portraying herself like nothing less than an open book and willing to talk about anything related to the debate impatient people barked at her, name called her and therefore lost the debate.

This should be a lesson to everyone, it doesn't matter how strong you feel your opinions are correct.
If you approach a debate in such a neanderthal-like manner don't expect others to consider you as the intellectual participant.

This happens so often in the Social Issues section of ATS and it's usually the same confrontational people.
It's so crazy that those who consider themselves the most open-minded are the most confrontational.

Some people consider themselves so open-minded and tolerant of people who think different then them, but then are SHOCKED when they realize there actually are people who think different then them and then their guns come out.

It's like a paradox

link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Pshhh
I wouldn't want my 12yr old girl having a crush on Justin Bieber either to be honest

When I was a kid I never had a crush on any girl at that age
I always wanted to play, go to the park, play dodge ball or go to the library to read
I don't know how they did it but my parents raised me to be very curious about science, the world, the universe.... everything, and be a kid and have fun.

Now parents are watching Glee or American Idol while their kids have crushes on Bieber
Life is just a distraction to them

I want my kids to grow up like I did!!!!

Well, when you become King of the World, you can make everyone be just like you. Until then, there is lots of diversity in this world, and as long as they are not hurting anyone, everyone has a right to be here, and to be who they are.

And by the way, I used to have a crush on David Cassidy when I was 12 (I know that dates me). But I still played with my friends, went to the park, to the library, made good grades, etc., etc.

And, if you didn't have a crush on any girl by the time you were 12.....well, I won't go there.

edit on 4-4-2012 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

link   

I feel that homosexuality is against the natural laws of the universe. Many gay people have pointed out to me that in the animal kingdom, homosexuality is quite normal. That is a weak argument, animals also eat their offspring and often engage in cannibalism. By their logic, am I to also accept fallicide and cannibalism in humans? I mean if animals do it, it must be fine for us.

There are no such thing as "natural laws of the universe" other than the chaos of nature that occurs, of which includes homosexuality, nor do they equate to any morality.

Animal homosexuality justifies human homosexuality, because

1. it means it's natural; and
  2. unlike cannibalism and homocide, it does not inflict on the rights of another individual

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Well, when you become King of the World, you can make everyone be just like you. Until then, there is lots of diversity in this world, and as long as they are not hurting anyone, everyone has a right to be here, and to be who they are.

I don't intend to become kind of the world and if I was offered the position I would decline it
I don't want to impose my beliefs on anyone, but I can always show a path and maybe that'll spark some interest

And, if you didn't have a crush on any girl by the time you were 12.....well, I won't go there.

I didn't have a crush on girls when I was 12
I had a crush on books & knowledge

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I get it - you were a late bloomer. No problem, it happens to a lot of kids. They catch up with everyone else eventually. The point is, you don't have to be having or think about having sex, when you are a kid -- but your gender/sexual identity usually starts to form around that age.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I get it - you were a late bloomer. No problem, it happens to a lot of kids. They catch up with everyone else eventually. The point is, you don't have to be having or think about having sex, when you are a kid -- but your gender/sexual identity usually starts to form around that age.

How do you know I was a late bloomer?

What if with all the TV, sexy ads, movies and shows and music that kids get bombarded with makes them premature bloomers?

What if because of me growing up with alot less of these distractions made me bloom at the age I was meant to?

Because I think that's EXACTLY what the case is

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by newsoul
I have explained to my children that I find it inappropriate and why I find it so.

Passing your bigotry onto your children - - - how Loving of you.

Careful now
She is being open about he beliefs and you are attacking her for it

That's an attack? I do not see that as an attack.

It goes with a previous post where I explained how my mom was raised racist.

But I never knew it - - - because she did not believe in raising us with the bigotry of her generation. She looked ahead to the future generation of her children. A generation she believed racism would not be acceptable.

Just as today - - - homosexuality is the last major prejudice. Prejudice of any kind should not be taught to children - - to take into their generation.

It was a very loving and unselfish decision that my mom made for the good of her children and their generation.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I've noticed in my many years - - - that there are levels we all must go through. If we don't do them at a certain age - - we do them later in life in some form.

I'm sure trying to make sure my grandkids experience each level of their growing process - - so it doesn't pop up later in some form that could be negative.

My granddaughter just rolls her eyes - - when I say NO to something - - that she is 12 and will be 12 until she is 13.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
When judging if someone should be allowed to do something, you only need to consider one thing.

What if everyone did it, would that be okay.

Take a simple example of throwing your garbage on the street.

Does it matter when a single person or a very tiny fraction threw the garbage on the street ? Certainly not.

How about if everyone threw the garbage on the street ? How about that ? Still okay ? Nope.

Conclusion: No-one is allowed to throw garbage on the street because we would live in a huge pile of junk and diseases would start to spread if everyone started doing it.

Apply that example to "Gay marriage". Not bad if a tiny fraction of the people does it .. who cares ..

How about everyone turns gay over night. End of human race. End of story. Stop telling me something that will inevitably lead to the extinction of our own race would be "acceptable".

Homosexuality is a social / mental disturbance, maybe caused by substances that are similar to female hormones ( In Plastic bottles for example ) or, in some cases, a simple en-vogue thing. It's "hip" to be gay right now because it's being propagated by the mass media as being socially acceptable.

Procreation is the very fundamental concept allowing for our species to evolve. If you consequentially and permanently exclude the possibility that you procreate, you are useless in evolutionary terms. Things that become useless in evolutionary terms, become extinct. Law of nature.

That's my personal opinion, and it is solely based upon rational considerations and logic, so don't you even try giving me this "you're homophobic " crap.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie

How about everyone turns gay over night. End of human race. End of story. Stop telling me something that will inevitably lead to the extinction of our own race would be "acceptable".

There are 7+ billion people on this planet. The procreation argument is just too stupid to even debate anymore.

When hetero couples have to prove they can procreate before they are allowed to marry - - let me know.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

How do you know I was a late bloomer?

What if with all the TV, sexy ads, movies and shows and music that kids get bombarded with makes them premature bloomers?

What if because of me growing up with alot less of these distractions made me bloom at the age I was meant to?

Because I think that's EXACTLY what the case is

No need to get defensive - kids go through puberty at different times. The average age for boys is between 9-14, age 9 being on the early end, and age 14 being on the late end. It's always been that way.

With puberty, comes those feelings about the gender you are going to be attracted to. It's not necessarily hard-core sex yet, but it's definitely different than before puberty. Boys those ages have been having crushes, and girls those ages have been having crushes since way before TV, movies, or "sexy ads".

Puberty is usually the time when gay kids start to have an inkling that they are gay. It's not about the sex act.

link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

I don't understand your logic. Everybody throwing their garbage into the street hurts everybody.

How does somebody expressing themselves sexually in the privacy of their own home, as their brain dictates, hurt anybody?

I do believe that homosexuality is a deviation in how the brain is organized, before birth. It is not a choice, and people cannot just "turn gay". If you've ever had this discussion with a gay person (and I have had, with several gay people), they always knew they were gay, even from the time they were small children. They may have tried to hide it by playing it straight, but in their heart, they were always gay, and there came a time in their lives when they stopped pretending with the opposite sex and came out of the closet to be who they were.

This doesn't affect me. There are plenty of straight people having children, the human race will not die out. It certainly didn't die out in Greek and Roman times, when "manly love" was considered pure, and love between the two sexes was considered dirty and only necessary for procreation.

Even in ancient Sparta, homosexuality was written into their government's constitution, and was encouraged in their compulsory military service in order to "bond" the soldiers together. Old men took young girls as brood mares for breeding purposes only. Did humanity die out? Doesn't look like it.

If a bunch of people were engaging in homosexuality, would you join in? Probably not. If they were all throwing garbage, would you? I would hope not. You are what you are, and homosexuals are what they are.

People are thinking about this too much, imagining whether or not homosexuality is "natural". It is what it is. I say, let them be who they are, and let the law treat each of us equally. We all answer to a Higher Power in the end. Nobody alive here on Earth is fit to judge what is in somebody's heart.

link   
I know people who do not support homosexuality for religious reasons - - - but they are intelligent enough to understand Equal Rights is a separate thing.

They support Marriage Equality from an Equal Rights platform.

Belief is not an acceptable reason to deny Equality.

There really is no valid legitimate reason to deny Marriage Equality.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by newsoul
reply to post by Annee

Please, how is that a cop-out? Is that not equal rights between you and I?

No it is not equal.

It is not Human equal - - as in who you love - - who you are emotionally and physically attracted to.

It is absolutely a cop out.

Annee, I have quite a serious question for you, and I would like your honest answer.
If a father were to fall in love with his 8 year old daughter, or even 16 year old daughter, and the daughter shared the same love back with the father, would it be ok for them to get married? or even to have a physical relationship?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I'm not a huge fan of the gays, but if they want to get married, I say let them. Then they can finally be miserable just like the rest of us,

It would probably stimulate the economy anyways...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

With puberty, comes those feelings about the gender you are going to be attracted to. It's not necessarily hard-core sex yet, but it's definitely different than before puberty. Boys those ages have been having crushes, and girls those ages have been having crushes since way before TV, movies, or "sexy ads".

Puberty is usually the time when gay kids start to have an inkling that they are gay. It's not about the sex act.

I do think its a lot younger these days.

And I don't necessarily think its because of media exposure.

Maybe its about being more open and outgoing socially.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

No need to get defensive

I knew I should have put "not taking it personally fyi" there lol

Nope didn't take anything personally at all
all is good friend

Just having healthy dialogue

I understand what you are saying
You mention long way before TV and movies or sexy ads
But remember, teenage pregnancies is going UP, not stagnating or going down
And promiscuity is just through the roof

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join