It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are So Many People Debating About Gay Marriages? You've All Got It All Wrong!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TruckDriver69

Super puzzled by what you just said. You fear the small group of "gay elitists" and their agenda?

The agenda is to make money. It's always been about money. As much for religious organizations as it is for the gay side.

There is no nefarious "Gay Agenda", other than wanting to make massive ammounts of money off gullible folk who support the "movement".

Otherwise, it's just wanting the same rights afforded to others.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

You are right.

The problem lies in the fact that the government got themselves involved and created a legal institution surrounding marriage that provided more rights to married folks than single folks.

Having barred access to those particular rights from any group of citizens is criminal and wrong. If the government were to create a proxy and call it Civil Unions for example, then the debate would probably die.

As long as it remains only for a special group of people, namely straights, then it's discriminatory and technically against the law.

All the sensible gay folk, only want the rights afforded to straight couples. They don't care what it's called.

~Tenth

That's a darn good point. Mrs. Frogs and myself do have more rights, benefits, etc than a gay couple I know. But they have been together just as long and seem to love each other just as much.

Call it marriage, call it civil union, call it whatever - there is no reason they shouldn't have the same ability to legally say, "We are a couple".

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
While I will agree that marriage in any form isn't really a right, I would like to see any committed couple be they gay straight or some other thing that I probably don't understand afforded the same benefits. A committed gay couple should have all the same privileges as a committed straight couple. Especially where hospital visitation, medical decisions and insurance coverage are concerned.

I think it's a rather silly debate. Two gay people getting married or civil unionized has no bearing on anyone else's life. Don't throw the adoption thing around, gay couples are already allowed to adopt.

To me it seems as unfair to keep two gay people from marrying as it would be to keep a black man and white woman from marrying. It's really only the business of the would be married couple, and when someone makes that commitment they should be afforded the same privileges even if t makes some people uncomfortable. Hell I'm uncomfortable around gay people sometimes, that's my problem, not theirs.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Just for interest's sake, who are the gay movements getting all the cash?

I could think of several churches that directly solicit money, but I've never seen a gay organization ask for cash here, but maybe they do in Western countries?

That's not to say the gay scene in urban centers based on the "international scene" is not generally very elitist and exclusive - I mean even the happy hour prices are just ridiculous, but I don't find they represent most gay people.

Maybe wedding planning, or studying how to become a divorce lawyer could be fruitful career options for youngsters.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Gay marriage is not a right, and neither is a straight marriage....period!
How can a man-made institution be a human right?
That's like saying owning an Xbox is a human right

It should be up to the church to decide, and different churches can have different opinions.
And hey guess what, gay churches can open up too, private ones that is.

It's not the role of govt. to tell you who you can't marry
But wait... don't agree with me just yet, because it's also not the role of govt. to tell you who YOU CAN marry either.

So the entire debate becomes a non-issue, and so much energy is being wasted on it

Spot on!

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Eughh, this is ridiculous.

Of course there are some gay people that have an agenda to get their own way and get special treatment, those are usually the "in your face" gay people, the kind that you see during a news video about homosexuality, and they run in front of the camera and give the finger and practically start shagging on-screen. These are the kind of gay people that want the rights tha straight marriages have, and also want the term "marriage" applied to gay partnerships.

However, there are the regular, down-to-earth, not giving a shizzle type of gay person (unfortunately, not many), like myself, that don't care about the label, just that we get the same marital rights as straight folk.

I definitely do not think that we should be allowed to use the term "marriage" as that word has religious connotations, and all the religions tied to the word forbid homosexuals to even have sex, let alone be put together in holy matrimony. It is a religious ceremony, and if they do not wish for gay people to use the word that describes their ceremony, then so be it.

Does it matter anyway? That would be like the Jewish saying "You cannot call the eating of (insert Kosher foods) Kosher, because you are not part of our Religion. Have it any other way, have it as part of your daily diet, but do not call it Kosher." See the absurdity? It's only a word, but if it shuts people the f*** up, then just go with it, as long as you get the chance to have the same rights (or eat the food but not call it Kosher) as the opposers.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The issue really isn't marriage.

The issue is Equality. Gays having the same Equality as Heteros.

Legal Government Marriage offers tax breaks - insurance rights - inheritance rights - - etc.

Its also a Social Standing.

EQUAL - - that's what its about.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Super puzzled by what you just said. You fear the small group of "gay elitists" and their agenda?

The agenda is to make money. It's always been about money. As much for religious organizations as it is for the gay side.

There is no nefarious "Gay Agenda", other than wanting to make massive ammounts of money off gullible folk who support the "movement".

~Tenth

No reason to be puzzled. I do fear the "gay elitists" as you call them. I really don't think the agenda is just about Gay Marriage and I do not think its as simple as money.. It seems to me there is more than just gay marriage they want recognized. They want the whole thing, every aspect of the lifestyle very visible and very much in my face and my children's face for some reason??? That silent majority is not swaying my opinion either.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruckDriver69

~Tenth

very much in my face and my children's face for some reason??? That silent majority is not swaying my opinion either.

Why is it that the children always get used as an excuse to censor something? Homosexuality being taught in schools will "harm my child" or Gay parents "will harm their child" ... Just the same excuse for internet censorship, it's to "stop the paedos."

Just like George Carlin, i'm sick of child worship. Adults are human beings, just like the children are, so why are children afforded much more so called "safety" than the rest of us, if they are going to experience it all anyway?

Nobody, not even us gays, are out to get you or your children.
edit on 3/4/12 by domasio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I am astonished that people to continue to think that gays don't have the right to marry.

They have always had this right.

Problem is they want the special right to marry someone of the same sex.

Equal rights for all, special rights for none.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by domasio

Just like George Carlin, I'm sick of child worship. Adults are human beings, just like the children are, so why are children afforded much more so called "safety" than the rest of us, if they are going to experience it all anyway?

And the kids don't care.

I'm with you - - - I've had it with these closed minded parents - - - using the "Safety of their Children" as an excuse for their own bigotry.

The kids don't care if someone is gay. They only care how they treat them.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Not the "Special Right" crap again.

You probably think Blacks still need to ride in the back of the bus too.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

I would love to answer this question.

I do not agree with prostitution, therefore I do not take my children downtown to witness it first hand.

I do not agree with murder, therefore I do not let my children watch shows that depict violence or murder.

I do not agree with gluttony, therefore we do things in moderation.

I do not agree with homosexuality, I think it goes against the natural laws of the universe, therefore I do not want that behavior forced on my children everytime we go to the mall or turn on the t.v. We try to protect our children from things that we see as harmful or inappropriate. I am sure that you have things that you deem inappropriate.

I do not hate you, I do not judge you. It is a personal belief that I stand behind. I'm sure that you also have beliefs that are important to you. I respect that.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
It's easy to shut down the debate.

Like i wrote in the thread "Gay Agenda" :

Think of it just like religion. There always the religious extremists, some who ruin everything for the rest of the religion, just like there are some extreme gay people who are just a crying shame, and ruining everything for other gay people, also just as some extreme heterosexuals are ruining it for more accepting heterosexuals. Hell, I can barely walk the streets in Scotland anymore without having some sort of abuse thrown at me, but it's always by the same sort of people, not every hetero I come across.

Basically, just like religion, just like EVERYTHING that can be debated, there are of course some gay people that have an agenda to gain special rights, and to be viewed as much more than the average person, but not every gay person, just a small minority.

The "silent majority" of gay people are just like the "silent majority" of religions, of political associations etc. ... we just don't give a tinky's fart.

See, while the debate ends, you even learn a Scottish phrase

I would love to answer this question.

I do not agree with prostitution, therefore I do not take my children downtown to witness it first hand.

I do not agree with murder, therefore I do not let my children watch shows that depict violence or murder.

I do not agree with gluttony, therefore we do things in moderation.

I do not agree with homosexuality, I think it goes against the natural laws of the universe, therefore I do not want that behavior forced on my children everytime we go to the mall or turn on the t.v. We try to protect our children from things that we see as harmful or inappropriate. I am sure that you have things that you deem inappropriate.

I do not hate you, I do not judge you. It is a personal belief that I stand behind. I'm sure that you also have beliefs that are important to you. I respect that.

That's the thing though, people obviously wouldn't allow their children to witness moral degradation such as murder, gluttony, prostitution, yet when you mentioned homosexuality, you used the word "forced." It is not being forced at all. If your children view homosexual material on the television when you wish them not to, then that is plain old bad parenting. If you don't allow them to see murder, prostitution etc on television, then it's just as easy for you to make sure they don't view homosexuality. In fact, that should be pretty easy, there is a lot more prostitution and murder shown on television than homosexuality.

If it is being taught in schools, and you disagree, you can just as easily pull your child out of any of that teaching. Yes, you may disagree with it, but just like everything else, you can easily protect your child from viewing such things, or being taught such things.
edit on 3/4/12 by domasio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by newsoul

Great.

Do you support Equal Rights?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I do, and you have as much right, if you are a woman, to marry a man as I do. If you are a man, you have as much right to marry a woman as any other man does.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Carseller4

Not the "Special Right" crap again.

You probably think Blacks still need to ride in the back of the bus too.

Sorry no.

That has nothing to do with special rights.

Everyone deserves to be treated equally. When you start giving groups of people special rights problems arise.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruckDriver69

~Tenth

No reason to be puzzled. I do fear the "gay elitists" as you call them. I really don't think the agenda is just about Gay Marriage and I do not think its as simple as money.. It seems to me there is more than just gay marriage they want recognized. They want the whole thing, every aspect of the lifestyle very visible and very much in my face and my children's face for some reason??? That silent majority is not swaying my opinion either.

What is it that you think they want recognized other than being a married couple? I'm confused, and why is it a problem if children see "gay" people? Are you worried that they will somehow catch "gayness"? I understand and agree with alot of the things you have said in this thread I just don't see that the "gay" crowd is really pushing for anything other than the equal right of marriage and what comes with it.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Marriage is an institution that existed before the beginning of the Christian Church. Why should Christians (or other religions) get explicit rights to decide what is and isn't marriage? Why should the government get to decide the same? It should be up to the individual(s), anything else is oppressive and unfair.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Every person knows deep down inside them if they are gay or not. Sign them folks up, put them on a list, so we can find them later. Has anyone seen that clown at Walmart that hides from gay people? Xenongod

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join