It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The music of Tom Sawyer. Opinions wanted!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hello all,
I am a musician/singer/songwritter. I have been looking for other like minded musicians to work with, for quite some time now. I have put posts on several musician websites, looking for musicians etc.. I have yet to find musicians that 1) don't have huge egos to deal with, 2) aren't in it for the money, 3) understand and agree with the concepts behind the music I am, and want to continue to write. 4) That aren't in it for fame, 5) that are in it strictly for the music, and the message within.

So this is what I would like. I would like some people on this board to listen to a song I wrote, called Free The Damned. It isn't complete yet, as I still need to find other musicians to work with. So it is the best I am able to do on my own. I play all the instruments, sing etc.. So I would like your opinions on this song. I have let a few people listen to this in the past. To be honest, I got mixed reviews. It was a couple of years ago, and I do have the opinion. That it was ahead of it's time. It was before most people were able to see, all of the corruption going on around us currently. So my curiosity, is what people will think about it now. Especially people on this website specifically. Why? Here are the lyrics, they should speak for themselves as to why I want your opinions.

Free the Damned

Look around, tell you what I see.
Programmed people after me,
cause of the man that I am.
I try to free the damned.

Systems to control your mind.
Your freedoms taken every time.
Can't you feel it man?
It's time to free the damned.

To the people after me,
I've got a message you should heed.
Don't you mess with a man,
that serves the Great I Am.

You think that nice guys finish last?
At least I won't pay with my a$$,
for the man that I've been.
Last wins in the end.

Well I'm tired of all this talk,
about the land of the free.
'Cause when I look around,
that's not what I see.

I see people runnin' round,
in their fake a$$ lives.
Self-righteous as Hell,
with no reguard for a life.

I see a country that was built,
by exploiting the "free".
And a government so corrupt,
that they're too blind to see.

That every single time,
they exploit a life.
That that debt is written down,
in the Book of Life.

So go ahead and act self-righteous.
Go ahead and act free.
There's signs all around,
yet you refuse to see.

But when it all boils down,
it comes to this right here.
A higher power is in control,
and that is crystal clear.

You can listen to it here: museeks.com...

Please don't buy the download, unless you REALLY want to. You can listen to streaming audio at this site for free. You can also read more about what I am trying to do musically etc.. So please don't feel like I am trying to make any money off any of you. I am not in this for the money. I just want to know, if you like this song at all? Is it a waiste of my time and effort? Or is this something I should keep persueing? I would also be interested in hearing from any musicians, that would like to join me in this effort. Or if you know people that can help out in this process, please let me know.

Thank you all for your time and consideration,
Tom Sawyer

P.S. Please let me know about the quality of the streaming audio on this site. I am interested if the song pauses while you are listening to it, and if that is due to computer speed. I.E. if you have broadband, etc., are you able to listen to it without it pausing in the process? Or does it do that reguardless?

[edit on 24-9-2004 by TomSawyer]

[Edited on 25-9-2004 by TomSawyer]

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
interesting.....but I think this subject belongs in BTS, and is way off topic for a Secret Society Forum.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Ok, I have editted this post due to no responses thus far. My only guess as to why. Is that no one wanted to be responsible, for giving me advice on something with such far reaching implications. So I have editted the post, to simply ask. Do you like this song or not? Please listen to this song, and let me know what you think. That's it.

Please also keep in mind, this is just a demo recording of this song. If and when, I can find other musicians to work with. I won't be playing all of the instruments by myself. As it stands, I had to record all of the parts. So I could have something for people (and other musicians) to listen to.

So let me know what you think, as I value outside input,
Tom Sawyer

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The streaming was good, the sound good.

I think that the music is too simple to have such a long introduction.

Maybe with some production tricks applied this could be a music good enough to get the attention of the public.

As for the lyrics, I never was a person who listens to music because of the lyrics, to me the voice is just another instrument, so I do not usually notice the lyrics of other songs, but these does not look too bad. Maybe you should rephrase some of them, because it looked to me that they did not fit the music well.

And I think you should have some singing lessons, if you want to be the singer.

Just one final warning:
I do not understand nothing about music, but I listen to music all day, everyday since I was born, so my opinion may have a limited value compared with the opinion of more expert listeners.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Hi ArMaP,
I just wanted to thank you, for sharing your opinions with me. I was thinking about how to respond to your comments. Then I decided, maybe a non-response is best on this thread. I don't want to say, wheither I agree with all of your assessments on not. Because I don't want other members of the board, to hesitate in telling me what they really think. I'm not looking for sugar coated responses here. So I thought your response was great. There is always room for improvement. If Neil Peart can still take drum lessons to be a better drummer. I can totally accept, that I can use improvement as well.

Thank you for your response,
Tom Sawyer

top topics

join