It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Hooray!!!
Now,
BACK TO THE QUEST FOR KNOWLEDGE

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

That doesn't even make sense... Please go re-read the OP, if it still doesn't "make sense" then take a break from ATS.

No, really.

S...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
reply to post by UnCommonRealization

Nobody is limiting the topics this applies to. Common sense goes a long way when considering things like this.

S...

I appreciate the move towards this, and ideally it has my support.
The issue I see arising is common sense is lacking both in the normal plebs, and in some moderators I won't mention...but basically, when you stand against a persons belief, they tend to take a very critical view of anything you say.
I prefer my rules to be worded with specifics when possible verses leaving things up to the opinion of emotional judgement.

A person does not give their opinion if they don't think they are correct (typically)..so, that sort of runs in conflict of this here:

"Is what I am about to post a genuine attempt at civil discourse/debate about the topic or, am I trying to scream at the world and force my personal beliefs down everyone else's throat?"

This is a very gray line.
Yes, I want people to believe as I believe..because I -am- right...all the time. (in my opinion) Why would I share my personal belief if I didn't think it was pretty dead on, or at least a closer truth/understanding/etc?

I would say scrap this one and realize its waaay to gray. the rest is fine, the use common sense is fine, the anti-troll/idiot thing is fine..its all fine except for this, which eventually a mod or something simply will abuse in time.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Good deal! This probably isn't exactly what you had in mind when coming up with the new criteria, but could this mean we will be able to ditch the occasional horribly graphic animal abuse threads that get posted? I don't know if others feel like they contribute to the discussion, but I know myself and some of the other members really dislike them. To me, they are not only sickening, but they are so sensational that it seems they get only two kinds of responses. 1) People agreeing how horrible the abuse is. 2) People accusing those in the first group of caring more about animals than people.

Thanks,
Gwynnhwyfar

P.S. I haven't seen any recently, so maybe this has already been dealt with... If so
from me!

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Look at post count, as well as post content. I've read through, and the real contributing members have a solid post count.

Once I was asked where the line between a newbie and real member is, and it's around the 500 post mark. By then, you care, you are interested, and you contribute, understanding the rules that ATS runs by.

Members below 500 being obnoxious, not abiding by the T&C, well, where have you been hiding the banhammer at?

If people have to post 500 comments first to know that they get a "bad hair day" reprieve, then maybe, just maybe,, they'll take the rules a bit more seriously. Under 500, causing trouble, yep, banhammer time.

Harsh.

Yes.

It takes a lot of work to make 500 solid contributing posts. The mods, reviewing the post history, have all the evidence they need to make a decision.

Members above 500 posts? Well, we get naughty, perhaps unruly at times, but we will apologize and say we are sorry. Sometimes our tempers flare, true, human nature. Most above the 500 range are decent contributing members. They take the time, they post, and work at their imperfections. As humans, we all make mistakes.

ATS is about "denying ignorance", and there's no place for hatred, racism, or stupidity here. Take it elsewhere. This is a place where we are supposed to set aside our differences, and discuss topics rationally and fairly.

RIGHT?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Ignorance and inconsideration are the two great causes of the ruin of mankind. ~ John Tillotson

I would have to say this best sums up the outright and blatant stupidity,that has taken hold on ATS.

I for one am sick of it. I suggest that if you hold ANY racist views,or are clinging to the race "hustling" that is going on,the door is opened for you to leave.Lets not have the staff do it for you.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I agree. I will in no way claim to be "seasoned" at ALL. heck, look at my above comment...T&C anyone? 500 would be a great number to go for. But to be extra "harsh" on us isn't going to promote new people to come here, it will probably deter them. Though i will say I frequented this site for a good 3 years before deciding to join the conversation.

Woops did not mean to click post,

500 would get people acclimated thoroughly to the site before being able to post threads or what have you. I agree wholeheartedly, speaking from a "newb" standpoint.
edit on 3-4-2012 by Bigfoot12714 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I would say scrap this one and realize its waaay to gray. the rest is fine, the use common sense is fine, the anti-troll/idiot thing is fine..its all fine except for this, which eventually a mod or something simply will abuse in time.

I agree with that point.

I wonder how the gray 'decisions' will work out when you see the words 'cracker', 'honky' and others tolerated here. Don't type out the 'N' word in it's entirety though, that's a no no. There isn't anything gray about that, IMO.

edit on 3-4-2012 by butcherguy because: To add the last sentence.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Fair enough. I would do the same thing if I owned a website like this.

At the same time though hatred and racism is very real in all corners of the globe and hiding it isnt really going to solve the problem. It makes the site look better, but in the end people are going to vent their anger or concerns in other ways probably more damaging than doing so on a mere conspiracy forum.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

How do you stop Stupidity one may wonder?

Can you give this treatment to the people and congress to please?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Quotes originally by Springer

Quote response by, EstimatedProphet: . . . .

Here we go again, another "HOT STORY" the MSM ("Main Stream Media" in case you're new around here) can't milk fast enough or sensationalize crazily enough and we've got the racists, the ignorant, and the totally confused all coming out of the woodwork on our beloved ATS.

The past several days have been very busy in the staff forum here at ATS. We've been brainstorming about how to handle the seemingly incessant issue(s) of "Hate Speech", Racism, and the utter ignorance they seek to sow in our beloved community and online home.

It finally dawned on us that trying to define "hate speech" within such diversified groups as the staff of ATS and our hundreds of thousands of members from all over the world is almost impossible. So we are removing the concepts of "Hate Speech" and "Political Correctness" from our efforts and we're replacing them with this simple concept, "Is this content good for ATS and our Community".

I was the primary reason and concern this thread was posted personally by yourself.
It was because of my ranting - !@#$%, against the other ATS member.

Don't worry too much about the hate and the political speeches, because these are the reasons that make this forum, the most interesting site on the internet for people today.

Again, the people are attracted to these types of negative speech, thoughts and theories, this is what ATS is famed for!

If anyone wants to here about the lies, the truth, the political and the radical and just about every gossip in the world today, then ATS is the place to read about it.

If you take-away most of these things then, you would not have a famous forum as you do now. Because the truth is, that these things are the most interesting and attractive views that the people are lured to your forum and web-site.

More than half of these threads here on ATS, are based on lies, and about a third of them are based on meaningless talk, that holds no true knowledge, wisdom and/or understandings about what is "really"going on in the world today!

But again, these choices are yours to make because it is your site and I honor you. And so you can do whatever you want because it is your right. I am just sorry for all the negative CR@P, that I have been posting here and I also want to thank you for the reminder and warnings for my actions, here on ATS!

Please try to understand that one of the main problems that I have is mentioning about the truth, which I know the people hate very much because it hurts them upon listening to it.

But nevertheless, this truth that I speak about lures many curious and interested viewers into your site from around the globe, thus making your site the one and only, and the most unique site, out there in this world today, more than any-other.

Your web-site and forum is the "Only One" that I am using here right now. And with your permission, I would like to continue using your service for my disposal. Again, I am sorry for violating this web-sites rules and regulations, and I would like to be extra careful in how I would use these sites privileges.
edit on 3-4-2012 by estimatedprophet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thank you, I haven't been able to get any good information for around two weeks now, because of all of this Martin/ Zimmerman situation. We should really just leave it to the judiciary system; seeing how it's kind of their job, and it doesn't affect us unless one of his family or friends is on here.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Ok are I can pretend there is no racial tension in America ,I can also pretend ARE is number 1 and not number5on the chart

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
On one hand this can give one side of an argument a race or "ism" card to play. And on the other, they'll claim conspiracy on ATS for censoring them.

Look I'm not gonna lie, of late alot of my post fall in the racial grey area, and that's not my intention. I and others get sick of seeing the rose-colored glasses on a litany of subjects. If there is a certain war, social issue, financial issue, etc.., 99% of the post are like lyrics to a john lennon song. If you put in a tidbit of reality into the situation you're a racist, atheist, biggot, leftest, neo-con, etc............. The best threads have the widest breadth of input, even if extreme.

If someone racebaits or slanders others directly then ban them, if they present an opposing viewpoint that others for god knows what reason finds offensive, leave it be. And if really need be, just give the treyvon/zimmerman kind their own section. IMO everyone involved with that crap has problems, and it has infected the rested of us like a plague. It has put me on a tirade mode myself. The real justice in that would be if everyone could come together and sue the pants off the MSM for causing this.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I love you all. come on, group hug everyone.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Thanks Springer.
Perhaps this will help keep some of the divide and conquer rhetoric down that benefits none of us here.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

Pure logic, and refreshing. Why didn't you have to get incensed before posting what most of us would consider a biased post?
edit on 4/3/12 by Druid42 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Well, I guess I will play it by ear then. I have been finding myself less and less happy with the place, having topics removed and such. I guess if I find myself being censored too much, because of some BS PC ism, then I will just stop coming here. No point in trying to be on a discussion forum, if discussions and points you are trying to make keep getting removed anyways.
edit on Tue, 03 Apr 2012 23:45:07 -0500 by TKDRL because: spelling error

edit on Tue, 03 Apr 2012 23:45:46 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

link   
Overall this seems like it could be a great idea. Argument for the sake of argument isn't the most helpful, which is what seems to be happening more often. I can see where some think it might be tricky to be fair but I think the staff does a pretty decent job sorting through everything.
edit on 4-4-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

link   
You can stop it on ATS, but when you stop it in the real world I'll be really impressed.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join