It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic Food Industry Is Bought!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

You may be wondering why some supposedly ‘healthy’ and ‘environmentally conscious’ companies deceive unknowing consumers into purchasing products with hidden additives and fillers. Perhaps one of the main reasons is that a large number of these pseudo-organic brands are owned by their very unhealthy ‘competitors’, such as Coca-Cola and General Mills. In fact, some of your favorite “All Natural” and organic companies may be owned by a corporate giant.

A couple of monts ago, i started eating organic.
My uncle grows a lot of his own food.

In the thread where i mentioned i would go organic, someone asked a (fair) question:
- what makes you think 'they' wouldn't lie to you about the additives etc in organic food?

I couldn't really answer that question but it kept nagging at me.
would they lie about this?

Well silly me for wondering and pondering about this, SURE they would!

Companies like Honest Tea and Odwalla may appeal to health conscious shoppers, but they are actually owned by Coca-Cola — the very same company that is currently fuming over the requirement to change their recipes in order to avoid a cancer warning label. Another popular ‘health’ brand is Kashi, owned by the Kellogg corporation. It should come as no surprise that Kashi cereals have been found to contain a copious amount of GMOs and pesticides, according to an explosive report from the Cornucopia Institute. Kashi’s ’Heart to Heart Blueberry cereal’ was found to contain grains coated in the residue of many pesticides such as phosmet, carbaryl, azinphos methyl, malathion, chlorpyrifos methyl, chlorpyrifos. What’s more, the company’s products were found to oftentimes contain 100% genetically modified ingredients.

underlining mine.

This information has been known for quite some time. Here’s a really revealing image from Michigan State University that reveals who really owns your favorite company. See if yours is owned by a corporate giant (click for full size):

link for news story

link to Michigan State University research and findings

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Get to know your local farmers!(if you're lucky enough to have any nearby)
Shop at farmer co-ops and farmers markets. If its in a national grocery store it's NOT truely organic.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Which goes to show that the discussion on the best way to eat healthy should not be centered on organic vs non-organic. There is actually no difference.

The discussion should be centered on eating whole foods vs processed food.

The closer you can get to whole food - the better the nutrient value.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Great post and news to me!

I'm interested in eating healthy and organic as well. A few years ago I started gardening and haven't looked back. I do my best to get meat from a local source, where I can confirm that the livestock is free range, antibiotic and growth hormone free, etc. I have bought some of these brands though, believing they were a healthier choice.

Apparently the only way to be 100% certain is to grow your own. It tastes better too. =]

I also advocate farmer's markets, co-ops, neighborhood gardens, etc. If you have limited space do a little reading on growing in pots/bags, it can be done and it will impress your friends too. Well, at least it will impress your hippy friends.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Thank you OP for posting this because on another thread I made mention of how the FDA owned the word organic. They did so to be able to define the term organic to mean what they want it to mean. Their version of the definition would include all kinds of stuff that in the most general understanding of the term wouldn't qualify. What's going on here is corporations including this government lie unashamedly about food contents and processes for the sake of making more money off of the people.

There are a bunch of products in stores like Whole Foods that are overpriced crap you can find in regular grocers for half the price under a different name. The game many corporations play is redesign the package using a bunch of empty misleading terms to describe the product then they omit listing ingredients consumers may find objectionable so they can label the product healthy or organic.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Thank you OP for posting this because on another thread I made mention of how the FDA owned the word organic. They did so to be able to define the term organic to mean what they want it to mean. Their version of the definition would include all kinds of stuff that in the most general understanding of the term wouldn't qualify. What's going on here is corporations including this government lie unashamedly about food contents and processes for the sake of making more money off of the people.

Hi - I am a certified organic grower here in NZ and what you have written here is the problem. Currently anyone can call anything organic and sell it as such. We (our organic group) have been fighting with government (not easy) to get the word organic to mean "certified organic" as our work is being devalued by others using this term.

Check the label if it doesn't say certified organic - then it is not organic

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peter Brake

Originally posted by Chai_An
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Hi - I am a certified organic grower here in NZ and what you have written here is the problem. Currently anyone can call anything organic and sell it as such. We (our organic group) have been fighting with government (not easy) to get the word organic to mean "certified organic" as our work is being devalued by others using this term.

Check the label if it doesn't say certified organic - then it is not organic

Pitiful that you would even have to fight for a word just to keep it meaning what it's suppose to mean. You betcha it's devaluing of your work and produce that's the intent by corporations and yes even governmental bodies.

top topics

join