It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Middle-class tax cuts clear Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Congress on Thursday approved a $145.9 billion package of tax relief to extend three popular middle-class tax cuts, giving President Bush his fourth major tax victory since taking office.

The Senate approved the measure 92-3 Thursday night less than an hour after it cleared the House by a similarly lopsided 339-65.

Democrats in both chambers joined in support of the politically popular measure even though they criticized the Republican-led Congress' refusal to pay for the new tax relief at a time of soaring budget deficits.

www.cnn.com...

I have a problem with this bill. It's not that I don't like tax cuts but this bill will only benefit the rich, not the middle class. Plus, tax cuts are not a good idea right now if our national debt is in the trillion right now. Plus, we have a major budget deficeit. Both of these I agree need to be paid off.

Now why do I say this bill only benefits the rich? The reality is that the new law or bill is more of the same: tax cuts that benefit the rich and, in many cases, exclude the neediest families.

1. An analysis from the Urban Institute-Brookings Tax Policy Center shows that the middle 20 percent of earners "will receive an average tax cut of $162 in 2005 from this legislation."2 The top fifth of earners, however, "will get an average tax cut of $1,317."3 As a result, the top fifth will receive two-thirds of all benefits.4
www.cbpp.org...

Now for the middle class, $162.00 is nothing. How does that help the middle class?

2. The bill excluded a provision that would have extended the child tax credit to four million low-income families who currently don't qualify.5 Extending eligibility to these families would have cost $4 billion.6 Meanwhile, conservatives included $12 billion in tax cuts for corporations.7
www.latimes.com...

So in conclusion I don't think this bill will help the middle class.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   

The Senate approved the measure 92-3 Thursday night

This is a little off-topic but did Kerry vote on this? If he did vote, what was his vote? If he did not vote, what's his excuse?

Jemison

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison

This is a little off-topic but did Kerry vote on this? Jemison

I don't believe so. Not to my knowledge. Bush has always been the one who wants the tax breaks.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder

Originally posted by Jemison

This is a little off-topic but did Kerry vote on this? Jemison

I don't believe so. Not to my knowledge. Bush has always been the one who wants the tax breaks.

I actually beat you guys to the punch last night.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
The vote was pretty overwhelming. Kerry and Edwards failed to vote.

[edit on 24-9-2004 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
How about someone bringing up the constant raises that congress always seem to vote for themselves... considering that they're "Public " servants, shouldn't it be up to the public if these A**holes get richer and richer every year when the general population is getting poorer and poorer...

top topics

join