It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to take the gun from the American public!

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Keep in mind that countries like Cuba and Japan lie about these stats all the time.

If you believe Michael Moore, Cuba has better pre and post natal care than America and therefore has a lower infant mortality rate. LOL.

And if you believe the Japanese government they have a 95% conviction rate for murders. What they leave out is that they only call it murder when there is a readily available suspect. Other murders get reclassified into things like "abandoned body". I wish I was making that up, but it's true enough that one of Tokyo's top homocide detectives quit over it.

And if Cuba and Japan are lying, who else is lying when it comes to self reported figures?
edit on 4-4-2012 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
For F$#%@ sake, guns dont kill people, stupid people with guns kill people....

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sypher209
For F$#%@ sake, guns dont kill people, stupid people with guns kill people....

To be fair, guns do help.

Hitting them with rocks takes forever.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
People that want to going into public places to kill people will get guns to do it. Drugs are ileagal and how's that all going? People that what to break the law and or are crazy, will not be stopped by disarming America. My weapons stay at home for 1) to protect my home/family 2) in the off chance said sh1t hits said fan, I'm ready for a crazy new world....good luck with your rocks and sticks.
You don't treat responsible, sane people the same as looney tunes non law abiding folks.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by captainnotsoobvious

Because you're full of #?

An honest person wouldn't need to be asked for evidence. So... where is yours?

The US has 4x the murder rate of Ireland, for instance.

An honest person wouldn't need to be asked for evidence. So... Where is yours?

AS for Canada, Canada has a huge number of guns and still has plenty of rape... so... maybe Americans just like murder and Canadians are just into rape... both have a huge number of guns and both have crime... because, guess what, guns don't stop crime.

An honest person wouldn't need to be asked for evidence. So... Where is yours?

Now please stop making your false accusations, and show me some evidence.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by zerozero00

No, I'll fight when its time to fight. Dont have a problem with that. But unlike you, when an armed criminal decides to be stupid, he will face an armed citizen. Sorry, bub,dont care how tough you are, you aren't bullet proof. And dont tell me the criminals in your country dont have guns because thats a load of crap. But all you can do is run away or cower for your life and be defenseless because the queen or dictator says you cant have a gun. We dont wait for the police here to do what we could do on our own, without becoming the victim of a crime. Its that simple.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Well said sir. Well said.

A real redneck can fix his own vehicle, often without a trip to NAPA.

And in some very innovative ways too.

ETA: Love the avatar.

edit on 4/4/2012 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

And until murder becomes legal, so will you

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Well -- its anecdotal, but my High School -- in the HEART of Southern California -- had a shooting team, as recently as 1986. No one ever got shot while I went there though.

On the other hand, do you know what has risen since the late 80's, along with school shootings? Over-prescribing drugs like Prosac and Ritalin to children as young as 6. Correlation is NOT causation, but I would personally avoid like the plague anyone who has been on those kind of drugs since before puberty.

I'm just saying.
edit on 4-4-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Only after the second coming of Jesus Christ would I even consider giving up my guns.

Until then, let me be the first of the 650 million plus gun owners to raid when they come after the guns. TPTB will think twice when they go to the next one.

extranosalley.com...

If Hitlers rivals and the Jews had taken that attitude when Nazi henchmen came for them in the middle of the night, there would have never been a second world war in Europe and Hitler would have never come to power.

Live free or die is my credo.

edit on 4-4-2012 by WarChestNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerozero00
I would hate to live in country where you need a gun to feel safe, where you are so damn scared for you life you must own a gun,

where kids killing kids in schools is becoming the norm,

I mean seriously, what have you lot created ?

You all fear the boogie man and hide behind your guns for safety, yet you're just creating a very dangerous society!

Pro gun Americans sound like paranoid psychopaths..........Someone Willing to shoot anyone that may cross them is a psychopath!

Guns create paranoia imo

btw I have never feared for my life, I've never feared my kids would get shot at school by a psychopath, No one threatens me, I don't own a gun.....and If you think this makes me a coward , I say try me!

I have defended my family on more than one occassion resulting onetime in the the guy spending 7 days in hospital nursing broken bones after he assaulted my wife and I kicked ten bags of # out of him!

What would you of done?...Shot the moron or done what I did?
No wonder Americas prisons are bursting!...As most of you would of shot him as you are all so god damn Hard!!!!
edit on 4-4-2012 by zerozero00 because: (no reason given)

I haven't been in a car accident in over 22 years.

Yet I still wear my seatbelt and buy the optional sidecurtain airbags in my vehicles. And I get traction control and stability control, and antilock brakes.

I put the kids into their car seats even to drive the three city blocks to school on my way to work.

Why would I go to these lengths if I haven't had a car accident in 22 years?

Am I paranoid?

Or am I just cautious and thoughtful.
edit on 4-4-2012 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerozero00
reply to post by Blaine91555

A quick reply!
Not bigoted...just anti Arms!
And I think your fellow country men on this thread are creating a very stereotypical picture for me to make my assesment!
Also
I live in a very typical city with all the typical city life....been there and done that at 43 thanks!

I'm not responding to the topic, but instead to the statements where all Americans and Gun Owners are lumped into one group.

Our statistics are the direct result of Gangs and Drugs. Most of those being killed are Gang Members or Drug Dealers and often both. Most deaths are one of them killing one of their own. The only way to fix it is to get rid of Gangs and Drugs. You have a solution to that short of rounding them up as the Chinese would and sumarily executing them? Freedom has a price.

The real cause is not guns. Mostly its inner city poverty as a direct result of bad behavior. Gun ownership is actually higher per capita in areas with low crime than it is in high crime inner-cities.

You want the real problem, I think you look to schools, gangs, drug dealers and parenting. Guns are just devices and require a person to make them a weapon. The person is the problem, not an inanimate object.

Here in Anchorage we have a problem and it's all gang, alcohol and drug related. Even here most violent crime is criminal on criminal violence.

I personally think the cities themselves are partially to blame. It allows pockets of bad people to gather in neighborhoods that are very large. Too large for the Police to deal with.

If you were to go through the statistics with an open mind, you will find I'm correct. Discount the criminal on criminal violence and we are a peaceful, tolerant people. The reason the problem is so large is our Freedoms. It's hard to convict real bad people and when you can, they get out in short order and do it again.

The rewards from drugs are huge. Hang out and do nothing and make huge incomes. Of course to do that they have to kill rivals from time to time as the money is so large. You don't have to go to school or learn a trade or skill.

You want to see it completely out of hand look to Mexico which is one of the most dangerous places on the planet. 50,000 dead over the last few years. Often the same people who run the gangs here and have easy access because our government refuses to close the border.

How do I fit into that because I hunt for food when I need to as part of my income, enjoy target shooting like any other sport and carry a revolver when I'm in an area where Brown Bears frequent? I'm non-violent and peaceful. I'm typical of most gun owners, other than the gangs and drug dealing crowd. Punishing me will not change anything.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

To consider a woman raped and killed in an alley morally superior to a woman that can call the police to get the dead rapist she shot in an alley is a crime against life and humanity.

To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow... For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding.

—Jeff Snyder, author American Handgunner, Second Amendment Foundation Officer

Come and take them.

edit on 4-4-2012 by Victor03 because: grammar

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by StumpDrummer

I totally agree with you, and saw my error right after I posted. My point was that guns have a purpose, and they do it well.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
In the late 70's, I used to pedal over to the local shooting range on my bike, at the age of about 14, with my 12 gauge shotgun on the back of my bike.

We used to shoot trap (clay targets thrown in an away direction in a long arc).

One of the adults, old guy, Lloyd, used to bring reloaded shells for us to buy and use. He packaged them in old recycled bread bags. I think it was $1 for a bag of 20. Sometimes he would miss a step reloading them and leave out the powder. So only the primer would fire and the wad would get stuck in the barrel. Sometimes he would forget and put in powder twice, break your shoulder... We called them "Lloyd loads".

I think, the problem is kids do not grow up with enough exposure to firearms anymore. They need to be taught gun safety and taught to safely use them. My Dad would have kicked my ass had I ever broken the cardinal rule which is

NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO SHOOT.

Kids now get a gun, with little or no training, from someone on the street (not from Dad or Grampa).

We need more guns and more training so that the kids are comfortable and competent with them, not less. I have two kids, both were taught to shoot at scout camp in the 1990's.

edit on 4-4-2012 by kawika because: added image

edit on 4-4-2012 by kawika because: add text

edit on 4-4-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Do you drive? I think the some drivers of vehicles kill more people per year than the owners of guns. Get rid of your car!

edit on 4/4/2012 by SeenMyShare because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

My freedom that I speak of is the freedom of self protection. I do not want to live my life relying on any one else coming to my rescue.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Ok, so you just stand there and sing kumbaya while your daughter gets raped and I'll shoot the dirty scumbag who even hints that he's going to molest my granddaughter!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
In the late 70's, I used to pedal over to the local shooting range on my bike, at the age of about 14, with my 12 gauge shotgun on the back of my bike.

We used to shoot trap (clay targets thrown in an away direction in a long arc).

One of the adults, old guy, Lloyd, used to bring reloaded shells for us to buy and use. He packaged them in an old reused bread bag. Sometimes he would miss a step reloading them and leave out the powder. So only the primer would fire and the wad would get stuck in the barrel. Sometimes he would forget and put in powder twice, break your shoulder... We called them "Lloyd loads".

I think, the problem is kids do not grow up with enough exposure to firearms anymore. They need to be taught gun safety and taught to safely use them. My Dad would have kicked my ass had I ever broken the cardinal rule which is

NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO SHOOT.

Kids now get a gun, with little or no training, from someone on the street (not from Dad or Grampa).

We need more guns and more training so that the kids are comfortable and competent with them, not less.

edit on 4-4-2012 by kawika because: added image

I left a gun case permanently intertriwned in the handlebars of my tenspeed when I was 12. It was easier than doing it 5 times a week.

Nobody thought that was strange at my school, a few more even started doing it after seeing mine in the rack in school. On a few occasions during late pheasant season my overunder was out there on my bike in the parking lot all day while I was in class. And that was junior high, I had a truck by high school.

My kids all got BB gun's at age 5, Ruger 10/22's at age 9 and shotguns when they could handle mine.

If you expose kids to guns early they learn to respect them.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by imherejusttoread

Originally posted by Alfie1
The right to bear arms bit was written over 200 years ago for a completely different world.

This kind of thinking is why history often does repeat itself.

Who needs experience or history when the human ego is omniscient?

It makes me happy to see that others understand that history's trends repeat.

An individuals right to keep a reasonable means of protection for his family and himself
from tyranny and criminality is a basic right.

History teaches that when we, as a society (or as a government), mandate that personal
weapons are against the law, tyrannical governments arise, establish control and dominion,
and finally KILL those who oppose them.

It is easy to sit in an armchair and postulate that it won't happen again--that we are now
living in a new modern society, and that weapons and the use of them are barbaric and
uncivilized.

The truth is, however, that we, as a species, have not progressed beyond acting on instinctual
urges. Humanity is a species ~in transition~ from a species whose actions in the past were
largely based on instinct (survival of the fittest, competition for food, shelter, and mating partners)
to a species who act based on logical intellect.

It reminds me of the interplay between Spock and Captain Kirk. Spock as the logical intellectual
animal, and Captain Kirk as the instinctual, ego-driven animal. Unfortunately, we humans are
all examples of Captain Kirk (and most of us not nearly as advanced and compassionate as Kirk).

We are animals still, and as such we need defense against all other animals.

Unless we, like house cats that have been declawed, can be protected from harm by some entity--
kept home, and safe, and fed, and cared for. then we need to keep our claws.

The problem is that we are all still instinctual animals, and to take our guns away is very similiar
in scope to de-clawing our pet cat, and then forcing it to stay outside, nearly completely
indefensible from the outside world--an animal whose ONLY choice is to run away from
other animals who would cause it harm.

This whole post maybe too deep on topic for most, but the human animal is a predator--its eyes
are in front. Because of this, we need protection from others in our own species....at least for the
next several millennia.......if we make it that far.

edit on 4-4-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join