It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to take the gun from the American public!

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
What does that bumber sticker say?

The only way you are going to get my gun is to pry it from my cold dead hands.

The only advantage of getting rid of guns from Americans is to allow criminals to kill you without you fighting back and let the government to attack you without you fighting back.

Look after WWII U.S.S.R. trying to keep their heavy hand in countries they removed weapons from these people and it took almost 40 years for them to fight for their freedom.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandella1099
Maybe we should take away the keyboards of those that litter posts with typographical errors and words that are not spelled correctly before any ban on guns occurs since it must be the fault of the keyboard that these errors occurred.
edit on 3-4-2012 by mandella1099 because: (no reason given)

Thats a whole other thread. One I keep meaning to make. It concerns how the world is made up of 2 different types of people. The first type can't spell correctly and make gramatical mistakes. The other type correct the people that make the mistakes. The people that make the mistakes have no idea why others feel the need to constantly correct their mistakes.

I will never understand it. I find it mostly amusing. I do actually have a dictionary open most of the time to check spellings but if i was to check everything, well thats not possible. I honestly do try. And you know something , I will never correct you over your spelling or grammar. You know why? Not because you never make any. Its because I am not looking for them.

People do often correct me while I am talking too. I just don't understand why. It really seems to grate on the people that are correcting those that make the errors.

But I have to say if your only rebuttal on a forum thread is to correct spelling mistakes or gramatical errors , well, you have lost the debate already.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Come and take them, skippy.

Yeah your gonna get flamed
I think americans would let you take their wives before guns
I would

Cran

My wife would shoot you just as fast as I would. The OPs scenarios are meaningless, more people get killed in car accidents more than likely daily, so does that mean we should ban cars as well? Why not make sure every surface is made of rubber so no one gets hurt falling while we are at it.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lawabidingcitizen530

From my cold dead hand muthaF&^%er.

another wonderfully intelligent rebuttal from the gun-owning community.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
But I have to say if your only rebuttal on a forum thread is to correct spelling mistakes or gramatical errors , well, you have lost the debate already.

He/she's demonstrating the inconsistency of removing guns from the hands of people who don't break the law or aggress against other people because they own them.

Gun violence starts in the mind before it manifests itself in a pulled trigger. That's where you combat gun violence. Criminals are criminals because they don't respect law in the first place, why should those who do be punished on account of those who don't?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

They can have my guns, ammo first. Then they can pry the empty ones from my cold, dead hand. I have always owned guns and as a civilian, I have only shot 1 person. Of course he was in my home stealing things at 3 a.m. He lived but he deserved what he got. Dont use the example of a few to cover everyone. I'll bet it you looked into those cases most. if not all of the guns used, were obtained illegally

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Guns dont kill people, people kill people.

I think that just because some people are irresponsible with guns, that does not mean we should restrict those who are not. This kind of laws, for the good of some abstract society or to prevent some possible future crimes I am deeply opposed to. Freedom comes at a price, and if freedom to own guns comes with homicide rate a little elevated, then so be it. And as was already said, violent crime is currently at record low levels in the US anyway.

I could agree with increased gun regulation, as long as it is not very intrusive, to filter out the trigger-happy types.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_skepticc
My guns will NEVER be taken from me, unless they are taken from my cold dead hands sir! That's it, and that's final. Because the day my guns are taken from me, there would be no other reason to live, or be an American citizen. This would mean the Constitution has been destroyed, and the endless other laws coming would be a disgrace to America. So I would be better off dead, rather to go on living in a country I do not believe, or belong in.

As a vaguely interested foreign observer it seem to me pretty extreme to say " the Consitution has been destroyed " if there was to be gun law amendment.

The whole Constitution thing seems to me to be pretty bogus. The right to bear arms bit was written over 200 years ago for a completely different world. it was framed in terms of a well regulated militia but I don't see many posters on here saying they want to belong to a militia. Anyway, didn't the Constitution originally provide for slavery ? Times change and things can be amended.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by freakdaddy70

There is a price for freedom, and it can be heavy. Guns do kill people and that is a fact that can't be sugar coated. But it is the price we pay as free people. We have the right and ability to protect ourselves our families, and our home. I would rather die at 30, a free man, then 90 and a slave.

The freedom you believe you have is a myth. Especially if you believe you need a gun to maintain it.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Have you heard the story of the woman who was home with her newborn baby and her husband had recently died, and two men were breaking in to her home? I'm sure it's on ATS somewhere. When the first guy came busting through her door, she pointed her shotgun and killed him. The other guy ran away scared. Hmm...I wonder what would've happened to her and her baby if the law saw it your way?

Don't get me wrong, it is sad that there are people who abuse this right. Should alcohol be illegal because someone drinks and gets behind the wheel of a car and kills someone? Should pregnancy be illegal because teenage girls are having babies and our tax money is helping to feed them? Maybe not the best analogies, but you get my point.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by luccadeo
The OPs scenarios are meaningless, more people get killed in car accidents more than likely daily, so does that mean we should ban cars as well? Why not make sure every surface is made of rubber so no one gets hurt falling while we are at it.

You're right. In an average year, about 3-4 times as many people are killed in auto accidents as from firearm related homicides. Its funny that you mention falling as well, because almost twice as many people in the US die from injuries sustained in falls than firearm-related homicides as well.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alfie1
The right to bear arms bit was written over 200 years ago for a completely different world.

This kind of thinking is why history often does repeat itself.

Who needs experience or history when the human ego is omniscient?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Although I deplore what has been going on, removing guns will not stop it from happening. Even if the crazies such as this alleged person is prevented from owning a gun, they will resort to other means to "get even". Perhaps they may even resort to more drastic measures, none of which I will mention. In addition, the existence of free independent militias of the various states, may be all that is keeping a government intent on instituting a complete police state, from accomplishing that goal.
This is not just my opinion. One only need to look at the laws passed in the last decade or so, such as the Patriot Act, sections 1021 & 1022 of the NDA, bills to control what is published on the internet, and even the president's attempt to degrade the Supreme Court, to understand the threat to true Democracy in this country.
We are getting very close to the "Big Brother" of alleged fiction. Perhaps it was not fiction, but an intelligent prediction.
There may not be much time to stop this rush to totalitarian government.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by imherejusttoread

Originally posted by Alfie1
The right to bear arms bit was written over 200 years ago for a completely different world.

This kind of thinking is why history often does repeat itself.

Who needs experience or history when the human ego is omniscient?

Someone might also remind him that his argument could also be the basis for stripping away the entire Bill of Rights. They're usually too short-sighted to realize that.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I keep reading posts of people saying how they need guns for protection of their freedom in case of gov going against them using force..mabey back in the 20th century but you dont have a chance in hell in this century..

Active Denial System ( heat ray)

Long Range Acoustic Device

MEDUSA (weapon)

.."From microwave energy blasters and blinding laser beams to chemical agents and deafening sonic blasters, these weapons are at the cutting edge of crowd control.."

www.alternet.org...

so what are your guns good for?..why killing each other of course!..good way to get rid of unwanted masses.
Besides, it might not be the military, police, against you anyway..if they dont obey, they'll send in the blackwaters, professional killers to kill you all off, while the elite, their bosses, hid away in their luxury bunkers.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Throughout history, people have understood the rightness and logic of keeping weapons for self-defense and the futility of "weapon" control.

"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"I will teach my children weapons and warfare, so they might teach their children science and law, so they might teach their children art and literature."
- Unknown Greek

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
- Pericles

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
- Thucydides

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
- St. Augustine

Who knows better what the Second Amendment means than the Founding Fathers? Here are some powerful gun quotations from the Founding Fathers themselves.

"A free people ought to be armed."
- George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
- Thomas Jefferson

"On every occasion [of Constitutional interpretation] let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying [to force] what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, [instead let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
- Thomas Jefferson

"I enclose you a list of the killed, wounded, and captives of the enemy from the commencement of hostilities at Lexington in April, 1775, until November, 1777, since which there has been no event of any consequence ... I think that upon the whole it has been about one half the number lost by them, in some instances more, but in others less. This difference is ascribed to our superiority in taking aim when we fire; every soldier in our army having been intimate with his gun from his infancy."
- Thomas Jefferson in a letter to Giovanni Fabbroni, June 8, 1778

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense."
- John Adams

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."
- Noah Webster

"A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
- James Madison

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
- James Madison

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12MoonCats
so what are your guns good for?..

It's not a matter of fact, it's a matter of probability, and as long as the probability is quantitative, the ratio is irrelevant.

That, coupled with economical valuation, firearms are the market's best solution for self-defense when diplomacy fails.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Some people assume religion is anti self-defense. But in fact, many religious writers and thinkers believe that self-defense is ethical and not at odds with religion.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21

"Jesus said, 'But now whoever has a purse or a bag, must take it and whoever does not have a sword must sell his cloak and buy one.'"
- Luke 22:36

"A patriot without religion in my estimation is as great a paradox as an honest Man without the fear of God. Is it possible that he whom no moral obligations bind, can have any real Good Will towards Men? Can he be a patriot who, by an openly vicious conduct, is undermining the very bonds of Society? ... The Scriptures tell us "righteousness exalteth a Nation."
- Abigail Adams

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
- John Adams

"God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it."
- Daniel Webster

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
- St. Augustine

"Without doubt one is allowed to resist against the unjust aggressor to one's life, one's goods or one's physical integrity; sometimes, even 'til the aggressor’s death.... In fact, this act is aimed at preserving one’s life or one’s goods and to make the aggressor powerless. Thus, it is a good act, which is the right of the victim."
- Thomas Aquinas

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwc273

We will not disarm and see our freedoms stripped away.

what is with this belief that you are 'free' because you can carry a firearm.

you will not see your freedoms stripped away? your freedoms have been slowly and systematically been obliterated post 9/11.

everything you do is monitored. everywhere you go outside your home you are monitored. you are so lacking in intelligent thinking to realise that you are actually living in an open prison and your are merely an armed inmate.

your firearm will be very redundent when the drones are a regular sight patrolling the US skies.

like i said new solutions are needed for 2012 living not solutions created in 1776.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Um, sorry, ain't gonna happen.
Second..

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join