It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive twin twisters hit Dallas-Fort Worth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Tornadoes cause massive damage across Dallas-Fort Worth

news.yahoo.com

Massive twin twisters have touched down near Dallas and Fort Worth this afternoon, crushing homes and sending thousands of North Texans scrambling to take cover.

Reports of injuries were not immediately known, but the National Weather Service declared the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area to be under a "tornado emergency
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 3-4-2012 by caf1550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
So two massive tornadoes have been reported to have touched down in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

Television news helicopters broadcast images of the twisters. Spotters on the ground estimated the tornadoes to be 1/2-mile wide. The first tornado, first spotted about 20 miles south of Fort Worth, was believed to be on the ground for 30 minutes

Im expecting these to be listed as F5 tornadoes because they are each estimated to be a 1/2 mile wide.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

One is headed right for DFW intl airport, could get much worse as far as damage goes.

Pretty nasty looking storm.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Lots of prayers to some of our ATS staffers and even my family and all the ATS members in the area....

This is a major major storm....many twisters....

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Just saw the radar loop, what a nightmare.

Lots of individual cell's with a strong hooks to them, perfect conditions for big twisters.

I have famiy near DFW, hope they were at work and school.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
There is a live chat and video at
myFOXdfw
Right now (2:11pm) there are 3 tornadoes on the ground.

Dear Lord, this thing is massive.
praying....

edit on 4/3/12 by anniquity because: .

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Since posting this have more then the two tornadoes been reported?

My heart goes out to everyone around the area, ive never seen a tornadoe in person but from people I have met in the military who have been near them, it sounds like they are a terrible thing to experiance.

edit on 3-4-2012 by caf1550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
My brother and family are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. As soon as I saw this I started checking on everyone. So far so good.

My thoughts are with everyone effected by these storms, be it in the path or family/friends in the area.

Stay safe everyone!
OiO

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
and they say i dont know what i am talking about. I am telling you the weather is getting wierder and wierder starting since last year.

AboveTopSecret- The end

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It is not too often you get tornadoes hitting such a highly populated area, but it will happen in any city in tornado ally sooner or later. Hopefully people got to cover and there will be very few injuries.

For the OP, just because a tornado is 1/2 mile wide is not a real indicator as to it's strength. The intensity is decided by wind speed. There has been F1, 1/2 mile wide tornadoes before.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingJod
and they say i dont know what i am talking about. I am telling you the weather is getting wierder and wierder starting since last year.

AboveTopSecret- The end

How is this "weird"?

It is April. It is the official start of the Tornado season, Dallas is in Tornado Ally.

Sorry but nothing "weird" about it.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Thank you I never new that, well let me take a step back.

I knew they determined there intenisty on the Fujita scale through there wind speeds.

The Fujita scale and the Enhanced Fujita Scale rate tornadoes by damage caused. The Enhanced Fujita (EF) Scale was an upgrade to the older Fujita scale, by expert elicitation, using engineered wind estimates and better damage descriptions. The EF Scale was designed so that a tornado rated on the Fujita scale would receive the same numerical rating, and was implemented starting in the United States in 2007. An EF0 tornado will probably damage trees but not substantial structures, whereas an EF5 tornado can rip buildings off their foundations leaving them bare and even deform large skyscrapers.

I always thought the bigger the tornadoe, IE size of the funnel cloud also effected how it was rated. I always figured the larger the funnel cloud the more powerful it would be.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by anniquity
There is a live chat and video at
myFOXdfw
Right now (2:11pm) there are 3 tornadoes on the ground.

Dear Lord, this thing is massive.
praying....

edit on 4/3/12 by anniquity because: .

Eric Fox is headed right for the Plano storm.

Great link, thanks.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
shshsh.... don't say anything but you can more than likely track in real time the actual twister from here

did not mean to hijack the thread, so please continue to input info in this thread as the other one is well...more of a thread regarding the actual data stream.
edit on 3-4-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-4-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Please use the existing thread to continue the discussion.

2 Tornadoes Touch Down in DFW

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join