It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest Moon Video.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Here are my Moon shots from the evening of April 1st.
(No April fool rubbish,Honest.)
I think it was the best conditions I have had so far to view the Moon,and this time I left my scope outside for an hour to let it acclimate to the outdoor temperature-that is supposed to help reduce image distortion,and is something I should have been doing from the start.
My favorite part starts at 3minutes20seconds,when Copernicus comes into view from the lower left corner.

I know,I still messed up some edits with wobbles,but I think its my best attempt so far.

Anyway all this has started me wondering about the central peaks you can see in so many moon craters.
Are they the remnants of the meteor responsible for the crater,or something else?

Well here is my screen grab of Copernicus and Eratosthenes,

and according to wikipedia,knowledge on the central peaks in Copernicus goes like this :

The central peaks consist of three isolated mountainous rises climbing as high as 1.2 km above the floor. These peaks are separated from each other by valleys, and they form a rough line along an east-west axis. Infrared observations of these peaks during the 1980s determined that they were primarily composed of the mafic form of olivine.

en.wikipedia.org...

Mafic means a silicate based material,which is rich in Iron and Magnesium
So is that the part of a meteor which survived impact?

And is it worth mining?
It looks like it could be-I found this:

A worldwide search is on for cheap processes to sequester CO2 by mineral reactions.
Removal by reactions with olivine is an attractive option, because it is widely available and reacts easily with the (acid) CO2 from the atmosphere.
When olivine is crushed, it weathers completely within a few years, depending on the grain size.
All the CO2 that is produced by burning 1 liter of oil can be sequestered by less than 1 liter of olivine. The reaction is exothermic but slow.
In order to recover the heat produced by the reaction to produce electricity, a large volume of olivine must be thermally well-isolated. The end-products of the reaction are silicon dioxide, magnesium carbonate and small amounts of iron oxide.
en.wikipedia.org...

Wow-And remember-That moon deposit is over 1Kilometer high.
Although Olivine is common on Earth as well-
I wonder what other minerals are in other craters,waiting to be found(or mined)?

Thanks for reading/watching folks!

edit on 3/4/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: yes

edit on 3/4/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: wrong vid link

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Amazing footage. Really breathtaking, thank you for this post!

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FenderWolf

Thank you,I am just a beginner with using the telescope/camera combo and I really appreciate your words.
I must do better though,with editing and focusing.

My bro was instrumental in helping me with the latest vid-He was watching live through the laptop,and giving me focus/ISO/brightness/contrast advice.
That helped a lot,but we shall aim to do better as we learn.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Nice video, brother. You did a pretty good job if you ask me

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thismightbesatire

Thank you TMBS
I do appreciate the words.
Its not an easy job,and my local weather makes it even harder.
I am lucky to sneak a half hour of clarity per week.
And even then I usually miss the moment because of the necessary work/sleep ratio.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Any way to get a mobile set up that would be able to produce this type of clarity? I travel a lot to unpopulated areas that would make great viewing locations. I would love to get into the hobby but could use some tips if this would even be possible.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

You could easily get such a mobile setup-my whole kit is is less than 28KG,and small enough to fit in any car for transport.
All can fit on the back seat of any car,or can be carried up a mountain on one mans back if needed.
A second person makes it easier though.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
someone needs to zoom in on that crater and clean up the image , ive just checked it out up close , and the little round thing in the middle looks metalic , theres something on the edge of the crater too, in the shadow.

great find

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

That weight wouldn't be to hard to handle at all. I really need to look at this more. I should be able to get some awesome shots from high mountain altitude and clear skies.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

High altitudes and clear skies are something I dream of,but cannot attain.
If you have both,then half the job has been done for you by nature,and you could achieve incredible images with a bit of practice.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Fantastic effort. What setup are you using.

I just got myself a Celestron Nexstar 4SE and have been doing stuff with my nikon d3100.

It really is breathtaking looking at the universe and our own solar system.

Have you had much luck with Jupiter and its moons?

BTW get a ND96 moon filter it will bring out the darker shades of the moon.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheKingsVillian

I would love a moon filter,but my savings are going for a solar filter first,hopefully very soon in fact.

For those pics it was a meade etx 125 scope,connected to a canon 550d camera body.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

great vid of our moon really love it

my 9 year old just asked what was it about
i said its about the peaks in the middle of the crater
and he said are they little bases
straight up thats from a 9 year old
wise beyond his years

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

Haha!!Excellent stuff.
Great what kids come up with sometimes.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
So it is made of Cheese ey Gromit?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Thought I would post a pic in here that I took tonight.

edit on 27-11-2012 by TheKingsVillian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheKingsVillian

Great shot! And you've captured some colour. The only problem is, your moon is upside down.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Nice Video! Really Good Stuff. Anyone notice the 'Tower' with Round Dish on it? Comes onscreen around 1:05. Looks tall, as a nice shadow is cast from it. Maybe a small building under it too? Hmmm.....
Also, google "mineral rights on the moon" Some interesting results. I see someone authored a thread here at ATS on this too. Haven't read it yet.(goes on my to-do list)
Nice Captures! Thanx for the Share. Later, Syx.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse
Nice video! Thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TheKingsVillian

Very nice photos & footage indeed.
You've also falsified one of the "Moon Landings Hoax" claims that states "you cannot see stars, therefore it's a fake".
Excellent stuff, and some beautiful images.

top topics

join