It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shtf communication something old is new agian

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Well people there have been a few threads of survival communications one of the most important things to preppers/survvialists.

CB,Ham Radio and other well known means of commo have already been covered but people there is satellite internet that has been around for the last decade.

However slow speeds and lag have plagued it for many consumers step forward into the 21st century enter Exede Satellite with "broadband speeds" and the benefits are many.

12 down 3 up which is a hell of a lot faster than hughesnet and others the best thing about satellite internet is always on always connected and always a means to get information for a myriad of situtations.

Tornados,hurricans,flooding effect the grid massively and can take forever to re-establish now the cost.

It's cheap!

Around $49 a month and of course with the :Us Recovery Act"

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Most satellite Internets still need a phone cord connection to send out data. So, you would still need to be connected in to the infrastructure. Almost there, but I think shortwave PC might be the way to go.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
There are some great digital modes now that allow long distance on low power. I had a QSO from Michigan to Moscow on 30 watts using PSK31, which is kind of like text messaging.

But in the case of SHTF, do you really want to talk to anyone? Other than entertainment, if you have good provisions you only invite disaster by communicating.

www.arrl.org...

PSK31 is a digital communications mode which is intended for live keyboard-to-keyboard conversations, similar to radioteletype. Its data rate is 31.25 bauds (about 50 word-per-minute), and its narrow bandwidth (approximately 60 Hz at -26 dB) reduces its susceptibility to noise. PSK31's ITU emission designator is 60H0J2B. It uses BPSK modulation without error correction or QPSK modulation with error correction (convolutional encoding and Viterbi decoding). In order to eliminate splatter from the phase-reversals inherent to PSK, the output is cosine-filtered before reaching the transmitter audio input. PSK31 is readily monitored and the most popular implementation uses DSP software running on a computer soundcard inside an IBM PC-compatible computer.

There is a preamble at the start of each transmission and a postamble at the end. The preamble is an idle signal of continuous zeroes, corresponding to continuous phase reversals at the symbol rate of 31.25 reversals/second. The postamble is just continuous unmodulated carrier, representing a series of logical ones. This makes it possible to use the presence or absence of the reversals to squelch the decoder so that the screen doesnt fill with noise when there is no signal.

aintel.bi.ehu.es...

edit on 3-4-2012 by kawika because: added link

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
S+F, Neo96. I'd give you more than one if I could.

This concept actually applies to the Internet in software terms as well, believe it or not.

Internet Relay Chat - The elder brother of Twitter, and better in pretty much every way, other than superficial convenience. Decentralised, non-corporate, free, lower bandwidth requirement. Learn it, love it, use it.

edit on 3-4-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-4-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
You seem to think that when the shtf modern amenities will continue.
I think that companies will have severe problems getting payment from customers. Do you think you can just mail your gold bar to the internet provider?
As a result they will put their sats into standby mode.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
Most satellite Internets still need a phone cord connection to send out data. So, you would still need to be connected in to the infrastructure. Almost there, but I think shortwave PC might be the way to go.

Not the 2-way systems they are always on connection
and no phone line needed. your thinking of one way satellite
and that is hard to find anymore direcway does not even
do one way anymore. I use to have both, first one way then 2- way satellite
when I lived in the boonies. one way had to dial up to get on but the download
was through the sat and upload through the phone linel. The two way did both
it had 2 seperate modems.

top topics

join