It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Still dont understand the point of rioting after a big game....

page: 2
2
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
what's the real deal?

do some of you feel that it is better for people to riot out of anger than it is to riot in celebration?


If you're rioting out of anger you are turning a negative into a potential positive...(if change comes)

If you're rioting out of celebration you are turning a positive into a negative...




posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537
 


that's an interesting and enlightening opinion you have. I don't share it of course, but it does explain mindset.

so let me get this straight....

if riots bring about the collapse of the system...and enable it to be replaced...its positive?

if they occur out of celebration so that the streets and sanitation people have to clean up a huge mess...its negative?

this is what you believe in, right?



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

Originally posted by Nite_wing
Isn't this what Our Dear Leader wanted...to become more like Europe?

It's just an excuse to riot. People want to riot. The problem is, these idiots riot in places they shouldn't riot and don't riot in places they should.


You beat me to it.

You mention rioting in places, I want to expand that to the reasons to riot as well. You know, here in KY you could take someones home, food, water, cars, place curfews on the people or whatever else to remove their rights, but you take away this stupid ass game and there would be riots. Man the priorities of people.

Start a war with Iran? Sure, no problem just give me my basketball. Sounds like the Roman empire all over again. Distraction via games.
edit on 3-4-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)


you should go to Kentucky and expand on your beliefs concerning THEIR basketball team.

that'll cause a riot for sure.



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux

Originally posted by Skewed

Originally posted by Nite_wing
Isn't this what Our Dear Leader wanted...to become more like Europe?

It's just an excuse to riot. People want to riot. The problem is, these idiots riot in places they shouldn't riot and don't riot in places they should.


You beat me to it.

You mention rioting in places, I want to expand that to the reasons to riot as well. You know, here in KY you could take someones home, food, water, cars, place curfews on the people or whatever else to remove their rights, but you take away this stupid ass game and there would be riots. Man the priorities of people.

Start a war with Iran? Sure, no problem just give me my basketball. Sounds like the Roman empire all over again. Distraction via games.
edit on 3-4-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)


you should go to Kentucky and expand on your beliefs concerning THEIR basketball team.

that'll cause a riot for sure.


UHHHH....
I work for the university. And trust me, the people are very well aware of my feelings about it. Because I make sure to tell them every time they ask me "how about those cats."
edit on 3-4-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
reply to post by jhn7537
 


that's an interesting and enlightening opinion you have. I don't share it of course, but it does explain mindset.

so let me get this straight....

if riots bring about the collapse of the system...and enable it to be replaced...its positive?

if they occur out of celebration so that the streets and sanitation people have to clean up a huge mess...its negative?

this is what you believe in, right?


To a certain degree I do...In the case of rioting for change, I suppose its only positive if the change is bringing down something thats accepted (world wide) as being bad....



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed
 


so its safe to say that they ignored you completely and carried on in a manner that would suggest that when you shared your views with them the whole conversation took place in your own mind.

rock on Kaintuck...



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537
 


world wide agreement? ...mankind has never universally agreed on anything from what i've read and seen.

sounds overly optimistic, don't you agree?



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
reply to post by Skewed
 


so its safe to say that they ignored you completely and carried on in a manner that would suggest that when you shared your views with them the whole conversation took place in your own mind.

rock on Kaintuck...


I probably would have been better off talking to myself than trying to get through to the mindless sheeple. Heck, just 10 minutes ago, someone asked "where is my blue." GRRRR!!!!! My reply, the only team colors I stand behind are red, white and blue. This state sucks.
edit on 3-4-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
One thing you all are not realizing here. There were tens of thousands of people there last night and just a handful got out of control. Most of the people there about 90% of the tens of thousands did not riot or do anything stupid. All they did was celebrate.

All Im saying is dont paint all the fans with such a broad brush. Half of my family was there and they did none of the stupid stuff. All they did was have fun. The craziest thing they did was my niece rode on the hood of the car.....WOW.

Just because you have a handful of idiots, it doesnt mean a riot or that everyone is doing it. What the hell are they going to do if there was a REAL Riot? Jeez...

And the Cats are not Gods.....just NATIONAL CHAMPS!! Go CATS!


Ken from Ky



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed
 


i'm wearing Blue and White and i'm in Illinois. but I suppose that while they are sheeple, those paychecks they give you every month clear the bank without issue.

America is great...isn't it...you can hate these people and everything about them, but they don't really pay it much mind and continue on with the things that are important to them.



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
One thing you all are not realizing here. There were tens of thousands of people there last night and just a handful got out of control. Most of the people there about 90% of the tens of thousands did not riot or do anything stupid. All they did was celebrate.

All Im saying is dont paint all the fans with such a broad brush. Half of my family was there and they did none of the stupid stuff. All they did was have fun. The craziest thing they did was my niece rode on the hood of the car.....WOW.

Just because you have a handful of idiots, it doesnt mean a riot or that everyone is doing it. What the hell are they going to do if there was a REAL Riot? Jeez...

And the Cats are not Gods.....just NATIONAL CHAMPS!! Go CATS!


Ken from Ky


Come on man, it was more than just a handful.. I knew people there and I was listening to the police scanner, it was definitely more than just a handful of people... And I'm not comparing this to the LA riots or anything, but to not call this a REAL riot is crazy... People were hospitalized and a guy was shot, I wouldnt call this simply celebrating....There were also numerous fires set around the campus from couches, mattresses, houses and cars, thats not right...



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux
 


Hey Michael, I'm from Illinois too (tinley park)....Could you imagine how crazy Chicago would get if the Cubs ever won a world series??? I'm scared to think of the riot that would follow....



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
reply to post by Skewed
 


i'm wearing Blue and White and i'm in Illinois. but I suppose that while they are sheeple, those paychecks they give you every month clear the bank without issue.

America is great...isn't it...you can hate these people and everything about them, but they don't really pay it much mind and continue on with the things that are important to them.


Ohh the glad to have a job crowd.
It is a means to an end for me, but that aside...

I accept that and I respect that. But when I say I do not care about the game it is as if there is something seriously wrong with me. To each their own, I am all for that. But do not shove it down my throat like it is so commonly done here. I do not hate the people, I hate where their priorities are, but that is fine because when the day comes....I will be there to say I told you so.



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537
 


if the Cubs win the World Series...the rest of America will be watching Chicago on CNN and Fox as if it were 9/11.

When Bartman screwed up in 2003...he received death threats...i think he's in FBI witness protection or something as a result because I haven't heard much about him.



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux
 


i think I just got a movie idea...it'll be an action thriller where an international team of spies and special forces personnel have to prevent the Cubs from winning the World Series as such an event would cause a global catastrophe.



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I must be missing some part of the brain that regulated fan behavior.

I've never seen how it mattered one way or the other. You're not playing on the team. You're not contributing in any way to the success or failure of the team. The team will cease to be the team it currently is in a couple of years and essentially become a whole new team. Whatever successes or failures the team may have are rendered void as the contest begins all over again in a few months.

I wont go so far as to ridicule fans or call them stupid or sheeple or anything. But I just dont get the appeal.

Seems like it would be a lot more fun to just play the sport.

Then there are people who do play and watch. But those people watch for the athleticism. They dont mindlessly root for a team.

I personally follow three sports with regularity. Yet I have no favorite teams. There are participants who I respect and follow to improve my ability. But as for concern over a team or even wining or losing I have none.

I thought that was the point of sports? To play the best you can and have fun doing it.
Apparently I am mistaken and the point of sports is senseless division with arbitrary grouping always seeking an excuse to act out. Not unlike prison.



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Start a war with Iran? Sure, no problem just give me my basketball. Sounds like the Roman empire all over again. Distraction via games.


Yeah, you beat me to this point.

Instead of asking why there are riots, we should be asking why there are professional sports.

What's more productive? A riot that destroys infrastructure and personal property, or a pointless game that we build giant stadiums around so that we can delude ourselves to the point of groupthink rioting?



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537
 



There were over ten thousand people there. I said in my post that 90% of the people didnt do anything wrong, that just a handful did. If 90% didnt do anything, then that means the other 10% did, or one thousand of them, if there were only ten thousand there, which I believe the number was higher.

And Im being generous on the thousand that were stupid. I really dont believe there were even that many.

Hope that clarifies my first post better for you...



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I must be missing some part of the brain that regulated fan behavior.

I've never seen how it mattered one way or the other. You're not playing on the team. You're not contributing in any way to the success or failure of the team. The team will cease to be the team it currently is in a couple of years and essentially become a whole new team. Whatever successes or failures the team may have are rendered void as the contest begins all over again in a few months.

I wont go so far as to ridicule fans or call them stupid or sheeple or anything. But I just dont get the appeal.

Seems like it would be a lot more fun to just play the sport.

Then there are people who do play and watch. But those people watch for the athleticism. They dont mindlessly root for a team.

I personally follow three sports with regularity. Yet I have no favorite teams. There are participants who I respect and follow to improve my ability. But as for concern over a team or even wining or losing I have none.

I thought that was the point of sports? To play the best you can and have fun doing it.
Apparently I am mistaken and the point of sports is senseless division with arbitrary grouping always seeking an excuse to act out. Not unlike prison.


i don't know if you are missing a part of the brain...but I would suggest you don't understand how important sports teams at every level are to Americans.

i lived in Carbondale, Illinois...either directly or indirectly many people in Southern Illinois are associated with the University of the same name.

I assume that this is the case in many areas of this country...where:

maybe you hock popcorn and soda to the fans, maybe you clean up their mess after the game is over...maybe you teach, maybe you are a student, maybe you are a relative to someone who is one of those things...

the people that come from the university designed and built the city they live in, or the water or electric utility or their homes. maybe the university did research to make their farms more productive or their mining operations and manufacturing plants safer..

some of you have just a basic, almost childlike understanding of people...its amazing that you feel that you have knowledge to improve their lives.

a basketball team may only have 12 players, but the system that brought those 12 players to the court to win a championship consists of the entire population.

they deserve to celebrate their success.

i am now convinced that the actual troublemakers during the celebration were little more than agent provocateurs...

sent to take a big crap on the work of people that have done nothing wrong.



posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux
 


So then it's like rooting for the stock market?

But with vicarious and intangible payouts?

If that's the case then why not root for all teams and universities since the success of all is better than the success of one?



new topics

top topics



 
2
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join