It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gene tests: Your DNA blueprint may disappoint

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I'm posting to this thread as someone who has actually had several mtDNA tests performed by Family Tree DNA and the one thing I found not only strange but quite weird was the fact that I seemed to link up with so many Far-Eastern European Jews (Iran/Mongolia). Now, I have no significant problem with Judaism, but as a race, I know being a Jew is a highly debatable subject...it's a hot topic in the field of genealogy. One subject I could personally careless about.

Aside from all of that, since I am a female and as of right now according to the genetic researchers, a female can only be tested for their mtDMA or Mitochodrial DNA being the female line, I found it quite strange that I linked up with so many Jews who dated back to the 15th century at least. That through me for a loop...I mean after all, being a Jew means "one who practices Judaism"...right
It certainly dosen't mean a racial group...maybe ethnic, but certainly not racial by any means as anyone can be a Jew or practice Judaism. I am an atheist...so Judaism is not in my blood so to speak. Being a Jew has not yet been proven to be a race of its own.

One the other hand, I found 1/4 of my mtDNA ancestry belonging to the ancient Siberian People/Native Americans as it was stated on my ancestry report and this lines up with familiar family stories and depicted with photos of said.

As conflicting as it may have seemed to me at first, part of it made sense, the rest seemed to be hogwash as reported by the living descendants of such Jews who supposedly matched my DNA report world wide. I'm not Jewish...neither was anyone on my maternal side that I know of dating back over 200+ years, yet it was repoted as such. The whole thing is mangled and tangled with an unkonwn science and until this science can prove itself, I would assume it's entertainment for the minds of the human being. I liken it to music or the arts.

I could go on and on, but at this point, I just choose to say what my experience has been so far in this field and leave it at that.

If anyone has any further questions about my experience or the company I chose to test me, please U2U me.

Nice Op

ETA
BTW, my father has supposedly, the most ancient African DNA in existence (actually the most ancient yDNA period) which is yDNA haplogroup B (I am in fact bi-racial, that much I know). I belong to the mtDNA haplogroup K. I and my children, are disease and allergen free per my/our DNA, if this science is to be accepted and so were my elders (I am stating the latter as a fact as stated in the report)

FTDNA HAP B
Hap B
mtDNA HAP K
Kerchner's mtDNA HAP K
mtDNA Hap A
Haplogroups
PLoS ONE

edit on 4/4/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

You're making an illogical statement that just because we currently can't see the value of the genome, it must have little value.

Erm, no - I didn't say that. And I am emphatically uninterested in an old-school "nature-vs-nurture" debate - it's unproductive and begs the issues. On that "debate," I go with psychologist Donald Hebb's question: "which contributes more to the area of a rectangle, its length or its width?"

To clarify my position: Life on this planet evolved to survive in an environment that no longer exists.

Obviously, in an ecologically and biologically stable environment, there is a fairly even balance between gene-environment impacts on phenotype. However, we have radically changed our planet's chemistry, altered molecular structures and more - as a result, we've changed the earth's eco- and bio- logics, and the terms, processes and mechanics of various systems' interactions. As a direct consequence of these environmental changes, environmental impacts on phenotype (not genotype) now outweigh genetics' role. To coin a phrase [sic], the world is out of balance and so are we.

... you seem to focus too in depth on the environment, and this biases you

Back atcha big boy.
...It is very clear that environmental factors can override "genetics" - as in gene silencing, for example. Even when genes are not silenced, there are numerous possible overrides and modifications that can and do occur downstream - as with (you guessed it) - prions.

...gene expression is only one part of the story: “The protein is where the actual function is,” he explained. “You express a gene that then produces a protein, but the protein does the work.”

According to the broadest definition of epigenetics, which includes any non-DNA-sequence-based system for the perpetuation of information, any protein-based system for the storage of cellular memory is also epigenetic. Prions represent such a viable, protein-based system for epigenetic memory. Once a protein has been converted into its prion form, that protein promotes the transition of other cognate proteins into the prion form.

Misfolded infectious proteins are just one mechanism of epigenetic change. It is simple scientific fact that a variety of environmental "perturbations" can cause proteins to misfold and become infectious. One such perturbation is chemical exposure. As it happens, we have introduced over 80,000 totally synthetic and completely alien chemicals into our environment - counting potential combinations and permutations with naturally occurring chemicals, we have created infinite potential alien exposures that we are not evolved to accommodate.

And that's just one small part of one miniscule quadrant in the web of life.

But to clarify further - the evidence suggests that epigenetic changes, particularly prion-related changes, are a kind of evolutionary "clinical trial": they are inheritable but reversible; if the risks outweigh the benefits, they disappear; if the benefits outweigh the risks, they become permanent, and alter DNA.

...genes do matter, and grades of individuals can be reasonably be assessed. ...An example: ...The guy he trains with most often, said he has no clue how Rich can maintain his weight while doing so much work and eating so little. He's a genetic freak among genetic freaks, a grade above the rest, and has a will of solid gold. That's why he's the best.

"Grades"? Really? Methinks you're overly enthralled with wholly superficial -and transitory- evidence of "superiority."

To recap. Given that:
1. Life on this planet evolved to survive in an environment that no longer exists.
2. We have radically changed our planet's chemistry, altered molecular structures and more - as a result, we've changed the earth's eco- and bio- logics, and the terms, processes and mechanics of various systems' interactions.
3. As a direct consequence of these environmental changes, environmental impacts on phenotype (not genotype) now outweigh 'genetics' - and epigenetic change is running rampant in response to environmental change.
4. Such epigenetic changes - most evident as "disease" - are best understood as "test runs" that will lead to adaptation and evolution.

THEN
5. With reference to "genetic superiority," people with working class ancestors who were exposed to various environmental pollutants, and whose bloodlines show epigenetic disease, are arguably better evolved to survive in our altered world. In comparison, the unexposed elite are dead in the water - they'll expire the moment they're exposed to the real world.

[out of space]

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Any chance you could actually address the issues and ideas put forward in the OP?

Nice that you had some testing done but this is not the place to pitch services.

Thanks,
sofi

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Enviroment is much more important than genes to determine what we become.

But some maniacs want "depopulation" of Earth, and they want to start that "depopulation" by those with suposed "inferior genes".

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Noinden

u2u me where to go to get a good DNA profile.

Thanks for the info.

Would like to at least know my maternal background.

Do you have more info on DNA printing as you work in this field.

Very interested.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
,reply to post by soficrow

It's not even worth my time.

You want to remain delusional

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Me? Delusional? I posted quotes, references and links, unlike you. AND I behave respectfully, also unlike you.

Please do NOT waste my time again with your vacuous self-aggrandizing prattle.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Eeuwww! I totally butchered that sentence! It should read, "If your grandmother starved during the Ukraine famine, your children may just inherit the detrimental physical effects. The good news is, those changes are NOT permanent - and can be reversed."

True. Genes have the ability to repair themselves and evolve.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join