It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Device Makes Wheelchairs Obsolete

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
and if you have this in britan
you would lose All you invalid benefits.
they would say you can get about like a normal person!

Really??? Wow to that.

Thats unfair, as it hardly makes you "normal", it just improves mobility, the person is still disabled.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Thankyou, and yes it's a great invention.
Anything that improves mobility and independance is a real plus.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Now mix that with a Segway and they'll really be in business! Very cool! Wheelchairs are such a pain in the ass; it's about time they're replaced with something more useful and 21st century.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

Do you work for the company that makes them or something? The fact of the matter is, nothing is 100% efficient. A mechanism is only as strong as it's weakest part. Then there's the fact that it would be just plain expensive. The list goes on and on.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

No I don't work for the firms that make them, but did work to develop a neural-interface. And the only one I'm associated with was the neuron-scaffold robot strap on one that has yet to hit the open market. I don't own the technology but did help DARPA with the interface systems, for that my firm received a flat consulting fee and a modest one given it was developed from a DARPA project that had to deal with the huge loss of limbs in just the 2003 Iraq war.

Frankly we do make some rather neat insect size RPV's, but don't have the time to make these systems even if we wanted to. And we never worked on more "conventional" wheel chairs, etc.
edit on 5/4/12 by arbiture because: correct spelling

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

"New Device Makes Wheelchairs Obsolete"

ONLY if you happen to have $15,000 spare.

Common wheelchairs will not be obsolete for ages. Misleading title.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Good post Blkmktr... F n S 4 u

A fantastic invention which will enable thousands of young folks to live a much more normal life and thousands of older people freedoms which they don't currently possess.

IF one can afford it... Lets hope for the disabled and elderly this is somehow subsidized by aid of some sort.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Screwed

First post in several weeks for me, but wanted to tell you that I agree. I have an uncle that is in a wheelchair, due to ischemic damage from a motorcycle wreck in which he died.

He died? and is in a wheelchair?....you mean buried in a wheelchair?.... or on display somewhere?....

Well I posted earlier and we can always use humour, but it has to be directed in the proper way. I am a partial paraplegic, wheelchair and crutches, and I gave up my crutches in my 65th year, as I told people I was getting too old and might fall, break a hip and spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

So in my 70th year I was run down by a car and am REALLY spending the rest of my life in a wheelchair!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
all i have to say, it's much more dignified, than rolling around looking at peoples ass and balls all day.

Originally posted by Screwed
Seriously unimpressed.

This is like touting the newest car that gets 100 MPG.
I would say the same thing.
I refuse to be impressed with trickled down technology that placates us and causes us all to stand in wonderment.

Regrow that dudes friggin' spine, then I'll be impressed.

Dude, what the # is wrong with people. Hey guess what, you dont like it, why dont YOU go do something better? Oh thats right, because all you can do is bitch and moan about people smarter than you making something cool.

God knows, if we ever tried to get any tax money to try and fund an awesome project like that and you two would go ape #.

# you both.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This technology is an amazing thing for anyone who traditionally has be limited by their medical condition... I am so sad though, realizing the price of this amazing invention. Perhaps one day it will be the new electric wheelchair? And NOT so very expensive!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by canadiansenior70

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Screwed

First post in several weeks for me, but wanted to tell you that I agree. I have an uncle that is in a wheelchair, due to ischemic damage from a motorcycle wreck in which he died.

He died? and is in a wheelchair?....you mean buried in a wheelchair?.... or on display somewhere?....

Well I posted earlier and we can always use humour, but it has to be directed in the proper way. I am a partial paraplegic, wheelchair and crutches, and I gave up my crutches in my 65th year, as I told people I was getting too old and might fall, break a hip and spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair.

So in my 70th year I was run down by a car and am REALLY spending the rest of my life in a wheelchair!

Weekend at Bernies???

You seem the type of person who will take this the right way, but I laughed out LOUD reading that! (I make those kind of jokes about myself all the time too. It's a good way to deal with it). But I mean, how unlucky can you be getting hit by a car??? Did you get a lotto ticket?

I will sum up this device.
Convenience. It just has none for me.
Look, I just want to get on with my day - I don't want to be faffing about with robotics, there's just too much to get done in a single day and for me, a quick flop over to a regular wheelchair is quick and easy and gets me where I need to be quickly. Shopping, I put a basket on my lap, have two hands free and whiz about perfectly fine. Also, if there's something I can't reach, it gives me a conversation starter with a random stranger.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The price compared to other 'advanced mobility' devices may not be as outrageous as some think... take a gander at the pricey wheelchairs here; Electric Wheelchair Future Technology

The "Permobil X850 Corpus Power Wheelchair"
cost: $55,000

A similar tech wheelchair, the THR-FSP129 for "assisted standing";
costs unknown, but Chinese manufacturer is on Alibaba.com

Just more examples of technology to the rescue

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Weekend at Bernie's.....one funny movie!

I'm glad you laughed out loud! It's the way to go, and did you ever try for top shelf items by pulling out the bottom one for yourself and the upper ones all fall down into place? Fun!...but I have long arms, too.

People say, "You used to be tall". I say, "I still am. I'm just sitting down!"

My Rehab Assistant, still coming after 3 years, and I have fun. I do the "quads over roll" and she applies weight/resistance after I have done a round without, Then after, I do a hold instead of up and down.

I looked at her one day, questioningly , and she knew I'd forgotten where I was was at, so said,
"Just weight!"
So I waited.
She said, 'Go ahead"
I said, "But you said to just wait!"
She said, "No. I said 'just weight'!"

Then we stared at each other and howled!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Amazing

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Absolutely brilliant!!! This is advancement! And another example of me, sitting here thinking, why has this not been done before?!?
S&F purely for the dignity it will give back to people and the technological leap in thinking!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Wonderful to see that we are still moving in the right direction.
I've noticed a HUGE decline in innovative important technology in recent years, its mostly been all about entertainment.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
this device is without a doubt made by extra terrestrials.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join