It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you consider yourself Australian?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Jace26

How is my question "poorly chosen"? All I want to know is if non-white people consider themselves Australian or not. If you live in another country then it obviously does not apply to you.

Maybe next time, thread title: "Questions for Australians."

But, others will still answer I'm sure, as the internet is not just limited to Australia. And this is also not an Australian forum.

As if you couldn't get that message from the title I used. If I was referring to Australians why would a Canadian, o an American, etc comment on a thread that is clearly not about them?

Now as for staying on the thread topic;
Might I add not one non-white person has come on here to express how they feel.
I still to this day never seen non-white Australians celebrate Australia day, nor have I seen any make the pilgrimage to Gallipoli or Kokoda.
edit on 3-4-2012 by Jace26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

How are migrants integrating? Fine from what I see, a few ups and downs but generally they are getting out their making a go of it. How are you integrating might be a better question looking at this thread, but not sure if this was part of the discussion or not.
edit on 3-4-2012 by kwakakev because: added 'looking at this thread'

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
reply to post by Jace26

How are migrants integrating? Fine from what I see, a few ups and downs but generally they are getting out their making a go of it. How are you integrating might be a better question looking at this thread, but not sure if this was part of the discussion or not.
edit on 3-4-2012 by kwakakev because: added 'looking at this thread'

I don't know where you live but where I am immigration has spiralled out of control, and as a result enclaves have sprang up everywhere.
I created this thread to see a non-white perspective and to see if they call themselves Australian as I have yet to see any make that change. Yet here we are 5 pages in and still not a single person....

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
ATTENTION ALL

That will do thank you. Let's all step back and cool down a bit.

If you want to post in the thread, please do so without anger and obviously without accusations and name-calling.

Thank you.

how can you come into a thread like this and call for people to step back and cool down without addressing the blantant racisim that is been promoted by the op and his right wing supporters.

this site is quickly getting a reputation as a place for right wing racists to spout their views without much obstruction.

action needs to be taken quickly on the amount of racist right wing threads being permitted by the mods of this site.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Considering this post is disallowed for reasons of citizenship........

I feel i am allowed to coment as i have already put up with several Aussies in my lifetime....
(Thats put up with, not kept up with ..............Why are you all sort of like a slightly drunk Steve Irwin?
women too!)
I had read a book, about some lady who went walkabout with the origonal Australians and they told her they were no longer interested in living here anymore....(Thats on this planet by the way......)so they are going to die off....................
I would say that is pretty disenfranchised wouldnt you?
If you are saying the immigrants keep to themselves............
This is common in these situations...the strangeness may last several generations till the flux of people is swallowed into society as a whole....
You can help by taking an immigrant to dinner......

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum

Originally posted by Gemwolf
ATTENTION ALL

That will do thank you. Let's all step back and cool down a bit.

If you want to post in the thread, please do so without anger and obviously without accusations and name-calling.

Thank you.

how can you come into a thread like this and call for people to step back and cool down without addressing the blantant racisim that is been promoted by the op and his right wing supporters.

this site is quickly getting a reputation as a place for right wing racists to spout their views without much obstruction.

action needs to be taken quickly on the amount of racist right wing threads being permitted by the mods of this site.

Please by all means quote me where I was racist? I've had a lot of people on this thread say I am, but no one has been able to quote me on anything?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Considering this post is disallowed for reasons of citizenship........

I feel i am allowed to coment as i have already put up with several Aussies in my lifetime....
(Thats put up with, not kept up with ..............Why are you all sort of like a slightly drunk Steve Irwin?
women too!)
I had read a book, about some lady who went walkabout with the origonal Australians and they told her they were no longer interested in living here anymore....(Thats on this planet by the way......)so they are going to die off....................
I would say that is pretty disenfranchised wouldnt you?
If you are saying the immigrants keep to themselves............
This is common in these situations...the strangeness may last several generations till the flux of people is swallowed into society as a whole....
You can help by taking an immigrant to dinner......

The Aborigines aren't going to die off, the government has special protection for them that will ensure that never happens.

I may be going a little too far here, but its not just integration. Many of the islanders have an ingrained culture of violence and that has not appealed to many. I should know I've even been attacked by one or should I say group (since they only fight in groups).
I haven't had any trouble myself with Africans but I am certain they will be in the future. Put it this way since they have no identity here they will choose the one that will appeal the most to them which is American Gangster culture. Thats how I know they too will be trouble.
The only way to stop that from happening is if they integrate so to speak.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Now as for staying on the thread topic; Might I add not one non-white person has come on here to express how they feel. I still to this day never seen non-white Australians celebrate Australia day, nor have I seen any make the pilgrimage to Gallipoli or Kokoda.

*Google'd images for "Australia Day"

Happy now?

edit on 3-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

I created this thread to see a non-white perspective and to see if they call themselves Australian as I have yet to see any make that change. Yet here we are 5 pages in and still not a single person....

Here's a crazy idea. Since you live in Australia, why don't you ask them the next time you see them on the street. Or does your cowardice limit you to internet rantings?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

reply to post by Jace26

Now as for staying on the thread topic; Might I add not one non-white person has come on here to express how they feel. I still to this day never seen non-white Australians celebrate Australia day, nor have I seen any make the pilgrimage to Gallipoli or Kokoda.

*Google'd images for "Australia Day"

Happy now?

edit on 3-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Well I've been proven wrong haven't I?
But I still point out though there are over 1.5 + million Asians in Australia (probably more since the last census) and there is an unequal proportion over those who celebrate Australia.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

The GECC is a volunteer based non-profit organisation. Our volunteer members represent different ethnic groups in the community. The GECC members are active in a number of projects in the community.

The Gippsland Ethnic Communities' Council recived a Latrobe City 2011 Australia Day Award for outstanding service made to the community of Latrobe City.

GECC

Austrailia Day Award.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

reply to post by Jace26

Here's a crazy idea. Since you live in Australia, why don't you ask them the next time you see them on the street. Or does your cowardice limit you to internet rantings?

How am I cowardly for trying to stick up for my country? Nevermind don't answer that.

Why do I have to ask them when I can already see them with the fern on the back of their car, traditions being played out in PUBLIC spaces, or foreign flags flying in peoples front yards?
Actions speak louder than words.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Well I've been proven wrong haven't I? But I still point out though there are over 1.5 + million Asians in Australia (probably more since the last census) and there is an unequal proportion over those who celebrate Australia.

Here's a newsflash. Part of being a multicultural society, means the groups with the longest standing traditions of the country need to be welcoming to new cultural groups, and also welcome them into their customs.

Ranting about how you never see any "ethnics" celebrating the national holiday is not so welcoming. I would hazard to guess your bedside manner is probably just as charming in person too.

And just so you know, Australia is not the only country with minority groups in it. And also not the only one that has those groups celebrate national holidays.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Why do I have to ask them when I can already see them with the fern on the back of their car, traditions being played out in PUBLIC spaces, or foreign flags flying in peoples front yards? Actions speak louder than words.

You should go to their country and fly your flag then. Get those bastards back for what they have done.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

reply to post by Jace26

Why do I have to ask them when I can already see them with the fern on the back of their car, traditions being played out in PUBLIC spaces, or foreign flags flying in peoples front yards? Actions speak louder than words.

You should go to their country and fly your flag then. Get those bastards back for what they have done.

True but then I would probably get my car smashed up or something.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

reply to post by Jace26

Well I've been proven wrong haven't I? But I still point out though there are over 1.5 + million Asians in Australia (probably more since the last census) and there is an unequal proportion over those who celebrate Australia.

Here's a newsflash. Part of being a multicultural society, means the groups with the longest standing traditions of the country need to be welcoming to new cultural groups, and also welcome them into their customs.

Ranting about how you never see any "ethnics" celebrating the national holiday is not so welcoming. I would hazard to guess your bedside manner is probably just as charming in person too.

And just so you know, Australia is not the only country with minority groups in it. And also not the only one that has those groups celebrate national holidays.

I know there are other multicultural societies out there, and I think (well looking from the outside) Canada is the model country for it. I'm sure it has problems like any country but not to the extent of Australia. It seems the people over their have embraced Canada, but what I'm asking is why haven't we seen the same over here? Its been more than long enough for supposed 2- 3 generations to be born but still nothing? Or am I just blind?
Well I'm off to bed, leave a comment and I'll be on in the morning

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

It seems the people over their have embraced Canada, but what I'm asking is why haven't we seen the same over here? Its been more than long enough for supposed 2- 3 generations to be born but still nothing? Or am I just blind?

Perhaps you should get more familiar with Australia Day to begin with:

Australia Day History

2004 7.5 million people attend Australia Day ceremonies nationally. This figure is unlikely to fall.

Total Population in Australia - 22,328,800 (Source/World Bank 2010)

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, in mid-2006 there were 4,956,863 residents who were born outside Australia, representing 24% of the total population

I do believe people with permanent residence are counted into the population.

Those are just immigrants. Now lets take a few generational immigrants...

Over 8% of the population is of Asian descent (predominantly Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino and Indian)

I have a feeling this is going to rack up, making it pretty clear that out of that 7 million or so, many were of different ethnic backgrounds. (Not that that is needed, because it's already been pointed out in this thread.)

Lets go back to Australia Day then shall we?

Australia Day has evolved from a small commemorative New South Wales holiday into a major national celebration. Though it has often been criticised, it remains the most inclusive celebration of a national day in Australia, expressing the national diversity which has become such an important part of the Australian national character.

Australia Day today celebrates diversity and tolerance in Australian society.

Whereas once it celebrated the staunchly British nature of Australian society (or was disparaged for this approach), it now embraces multicultural Australia, including all ethnic backgrounds, racial differences and political viewpoints.

1994 All States and Territories begin to celebrate Australia Day on the actual day - the 26 January - for the first time

You may have to give some new arrivals some time to adapt, since it took you Australians so long to figure out just exactly what your day was gonna be in the first place.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jace26

reply to post by Jace26

True but then I would probably get my car smashed up or something.

In some countries they might shun you. Just imagine... That's what is supposed to separate your country from some of the less "civilized" ones though. If people immigrate to a new country, it is hard to separate some of the deeply entrenched reclusive behavior that was given to them from their host country.

The thing is, this usually fades within a generation. And it brings a whole new generation of "Australians, Canadians" or what have you, that don't care about racial or cultural divide.

Essentially, it sometimes takes a while before a country rubs off on people.

I have quite a few friends where I wasn't liked by the parents simply because I wasn't part of their ethnic group. Their kids on the other hand, having been born into the country, did not think like that at all and just refer to their parents as "old school".

No matter though, they did bring their kids to the country for a reason. Usually for a better life. And they are pretty accepting when the kids decide they want to be part of that country....

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jace26

Please by all means quote me where I was racist? I've had a lot of people on this thread say I am, but no one has been able to quote me on anything?

I stated the thread was racist.

Of course you are playing a major part in this racisim right from your opening post. Your attitude is truly disgusting.
In your OP you state

I wanted to see who considers themselves to be Australian, specifically those who are non-white / I just got back from late night (shops) and there were a lot of Islanders, Asians, Arabs, and Africans and it sorta made me feel like an outsider in my own country

so you seem to be trying to figure out why non-whites think they can consider themselves australian. its perfectly plausible that all these folks you seen on your trip to the shops were in fact australian, yet they look different to you and you think you have a right to ask them why they think they are australian because of their skin type.

i am not going to go through every post you made to show you how racist you are. we could make a whole thread out of that.

you even finish your days contribution off by stating

Its been more than long enough for supposed 2- 3 generations to be born but still nothing? Or am I just blind?
. so you actually admit that it is most lightly australians you are talking about, its just they are different skin type and they are not integrating enough??? what should they be doing? you don't make that clear. should they be taken medicine to lighten their skin colour or something?
seeing as you didn't go into any detail on your trip to the shops, you merely stated how you came across other people with different skin type , you were clearly juding these people by how they looked. you listed the different races you seen. you judged them by their appearance. like i said already your attitude is disgusting.

you re-show a picture of an aboriginal and state they received money for something they never owned. maybe they really recieved the money for the massacres of Aboriginal Australians. MASSACRES that even continued after your wonderful australia was formed in 1901.

no one owns any land on this planet. the deeds are useless bits of paper. we are supposed to look after the land for generations to come not massacre people over it.

i can't understand people who feel uncomfortable with members of their own species on this planet just because they are different colors. its so embarressing. we are truly an ignorant and backward species.

you meet other human beings at the shop that are different skin type and you feel like an outsider? where from ? planet Jace? grow up.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

I'm from Scandinavia, and I feel like Australian. Itches down under.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join