It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you consider yourself Australian?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

But in Australia we were almost a completely white country less than 50 years ago, and now in the last 10 years we are being inundated with different races and cultures, and I think they should make the effort to integrate.

Wait, What?

So what about the native people that lived in Australia, before any white people came there?

Furthermore, if there are people from different countries coming to Australia, legally immigrating there, they still have a right to practice and follow their own culture, and heritage. Yes, they are now Australians, but you must remember, they still have their unique backgrounds. Integrating does not happen overnight, and 10 years is but a short span of time for something like this.

And why do I get the feeling you are a bit xenophobic??

vvv
edit on 3-4-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

The native culture is widely recognized, but please understand when the British first arrived here they were still in the Stone Age unlike the native Americans who were in the Bronze Age.
Their culture was and is primitive (no offence), without the civilized British (Western culture) Australia would not exist as it does today.

Many of the people immigrating here might come here legally but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try to integrate? If they wanted to practice their own culture, then why did they leave their country in the first place? If they migrated to Australia its because they loved the lifestyle and wanted to become Australian.
I know "integration" doesn't happen overnight, it certainly takes some time, BUT I am not seeing any of this integration which is why I created the thread. There are migrants in this country who can only mutter a few words of English, even though they have been here for several years.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Most of the things you listed are stereotypical, so it is only natural you don;t like some of them.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
reply to post by Jace26

Australian's are Aborigines. Anyone else is a foreigner. End off.

No they are not, Australians are the ancestors of British migrants who first built this country.

Aborigines will rarely if ever call themself an Australian, in fact most hate the title "Aborigine". Most only identify with their tribe.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

I meant no offence, I just want to hear opinions from some diverse backgrounds who are living in Australia.

I don't really agree with you on your second paragraph. I mean look at America they (contrary to popular belief) are very monocultural because they have had "ethnics" living there for hundreds of years.
But in Australia we were almost a completely white country less than 50 years ago, and now in the last 10 years we are being inundated with different races and cultures, and I think they should make the effort to integrate.

Interesting that you think Australia belongs to the white Australians. one could also argue that until 50 years ago, Australia had a racist 'white only' policy under which it was legal to hunt and kill the native Australian inhabitants. If you speak to the indigenous population no doubt they will express the opinion that they have been inundated with white convicts for the last 200 years.

Although I believe you don't mean to be racist and you have good intentions, unfortunately you are implying a racist attitude. - one that an indigenous Australian may find offensive. Perhaps you should integrate into indigenous culture?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
We are one, but are are many
And from all, the lands on earth we come.
We share a dream, and sing with one voice,
I am, you are, we are Australian.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
You cannot dictate who does or does not reply to a thread.

You are being racist. You feel your space is being invaded by non-nationals. You want everyone to be the same as you. You feel threatened.

Loose the glasses. You need to become color blind. We are the one species. Stop looking for things that makes us different. Look for the things that unite us.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Muslims are pretty cool too, but Africans, there needs to be adjustments with them.

So Africans needs adjustments? What type of adjustments mate?

I am African, and I feel i am adjusted just fine.

vvv

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Wait, What?

So what about the native people that lived in Australia, before any white people came there?

Furthermore, if there are people from different countries coming to Australia, legally immigrating there, they still have a right to practice and follow their own culture, and heritage. Yes, they are now Australians, but you must remember, they still have their unique backgrounds. Integrating does not happen overnight, and 10 years is but a short span of time for something like this.

vvv

Unfortunately we get a lot of that underlying xenophobic attitude of 'keeping our backyard clean' in Australia. This thread being living proof of that. Unfortunately the perpetrators of that underlying racism don't even realize that they are proliferating hate.
edit on 3/4/2012 by phalanx001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
I am white and Australian, and i consider myself an Aussie

I do however agree with this immigration stuff. It is getting beyond a joke. Has anyone here seen SE QLD, particularly Brisbane. Holy Crap has it been flooded with imigrants, particularly from Africa. Go to central station and there are Africans EVERYWHERE. You drive through the "African suburbs" and they all stop and stare at you, like you don't belong there. The way in which the Africans show disrespect and appalling behaviour to the wider community is disgusting, trying to pick fights, spitting, name calling, yelling, being public disturbances. All things i hardly ever see a "white" person do. Don't get me wrong, i am not racist, but something must be going down for all these Africans to be moving in. What is worse is that they all move in and create their own structured society, keeping to themselves, forming "gang" like groups, a country within a country if you will. Most other cultures and races though are very respectful, especially the Asian races. Muslims are pretty cool too, but Africans, there needs to be adjustments with them.

I live in SE QLD, but I don't visit Brisbane often. The few times I have I have seen Africans walking the street in full "African" garments. The few Africans I have met have been wonderful, they dress so nicely, and were incredibly nice to me.
BUT there is a growing "gangster" culture that I believe is growing with the younger African generations. My parents were telling me they travelled through an area in Woodridge and they told me they saw literally "thousands" all crowded in one park. My mother than said, " They're NOT integrating they're congregating".
I have also noted that they do stare at you. I have especially seen the Islanders stare at you, they act as if this is "their" country, all the while having 10+ children.
Multiculturism is clearly NOT working in Australia. Look at how many problems we have had with the Lebanese, yet America, Canada, and the UK has had almost no trouble with them.
Now with all these new influxes, Australia will be even more divided.
Australia is going to have major problems in the future.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Aboriginals are immigrants too. They came from Indonesia and brought their dingoes with them.

Hell, how about the truth. Let us send everyone back to where they came from and we can have all 7 billion of us in the horn of Africa! Some Aboriginals say they want to life like their ancestors did until they have to chase dinner down with a spear.

If you want the real Aboriginal opinion go and meet the tribal Elders and have a chat. I have. They are despondant on their racial future but they do realise that the problems by and large belong to the Aboriginal people and not to 'white man.'

I am sick of the truth being called racist.

P

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jace26

I am white and Australian, and i consider myself an Aussie

I do however agree with this immigration stuff. It is getting beyond a joke. Has anyone here seen SE QLD, particularly Brisbane. Holy Crap has it been flooded with imigrants, particularly from Africa. Go to central station and there are Africans EVERYWHERE. You drive through the "African suburbs" and they all stop and stare at you, like you don't belong there. The way in which the Africans show disrespect and appalling behaviour to the wider community is disgusting, trying to pick fights, spitting, name calling, yelling, being public disturbances. All things i hardly ever see a "white" person do. Don't get me wrong, i am not racist, but something must be going down for all these Africans to be moving in. What is worse is that they all move in and create their own structured society, keeping to themselves, forming "gang" like groups, a country within a country if you will. Most other cultures and races though are very respectful, especially the Asian races. Muslims are pretty cool too, but Africans, there needs to be adjustments with them.

I live in SE QLD, but I don't visit Brisbane often. The few times I have I have seen Africans walking the street in full "African" garments. The few Africans I have met have been wonderful, they dress so nicely, and were incredibly nice to me.
BUT there is a growing "gangster" culture that I believe is growing with the younger African generations. My parents were telling me they travelled through an area in Woodridge and they told me they saw literally "thousands" all crowded in one park. My mother than said, " They're NOT integrating they're congregating".
I have also noted that they do stare at you. I have especially seen the Islanders stare at you, they act as if this is "their" country, all the while having 10+ children.
Multiculturism is clearly NOT working in Australia. Look at how many problems we have had with the Lebanese, yet America, Canada, and the UK has had almost no trouble with them.
Now with all these new influxes, Australia will be even more divided.
Australia is going to have major problems in the future.

Think about it Jace. On one hand you're saying that Australia was built by the British immigrants and that defines an Australian (thus by default your stating that a true Australian is one that is white of British descent). On the other hand you're complaining that non-white Australians are congregating and not integrating. How can they 'integrate' if YOUR definition already excludes them from being Australian ( ie they're not of British descent).

Personally I belive it is this underlying racist attitude that you display that encourages 'congregation'. The sad thing is that you don't even realize you're doing it.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by phalanx001

I meant no offence, I just want to hear opinions from some diverse backgrounds who are living in Australia.

I don't really agree with you on your second paragraph. I mean look at America they (contrary to popular belief) are very monocultural because they have had "ethnics" living there for hundreds of years.

Interesting that you think Australia belongs to the white Australians. one could also argue that until 50 years ago, Australia had a racist 'white only' policy under which it was legal to hunt and kill the native Australian inhabitants. If you speak to the indigenous population no doubt they will express the opinion that they have been inundated with white convicts for the last 200 years.

Although I believe you don't mean to be racist and you have good intentions, unfortunately you are implying a racist attitude. - one that an indigenous Australian may find offensive. Perhaps you should integrate into indigenous culture?

I never said Australia belongs to white Australians,in fact I never said it belonged to anyone. The Aborigines certainly don't have much claim to it as they were only nomads, the British built the country therefore have the most claim of anyone.
The white Australia policy was not racist and never was. If you have ever studied economics you would know the founding fathers wished to keep Australia as monolingual as possible. The reason for this was if other races were allowed to immigrate here then they would work for much lower wages, therefore lowering the quality of lifestyle Australia enjoyed, which ironically is what has happened.
Actually no, it was illegal to hunt Aborigines as early as 1788, where Captain Cook wanted to keep relations as peaceful as possible.

The indigenous population would not exist today if the British had not settled Australia. Just imahine if China, or Japan, or even Spain had colonized Australia, they would be extinct by now.

I haven't implied any racist attitude, I only want to see how integration is progressing in Australia.
If we integrated into Aboriginal culture that would send us back into the stone age.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Muslims are pretty cool too, but Africans, there needs to be adjustments with them.

vvv

Okay, mate, please don't misunderstand, i am talking about the immigrants primarily from Sudan, the ones who have immigrated over here are all disrespectful, and i think that in terms of adjustments, they should learn to abide by the law, not pick fights, and gang basj people. I do not want to come off as a racist idiot, as i am not.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
You cannot dictate who does or does not reply to a thread.

You are being racist. You feel your space is being invaded by non-nationals. You want everyone to be the same as you. You feel threatened.

Loose the glasses. You need to become color blind. We are the one species. Stop looking for things that makes us different. Look for the things that unite us.

I went to the hairdressers the other day, and you know what the lady told me?
She said I wasn't allowed in because there was a Muslim lady inside with her husband, and he didn't want any men to come in and see her.
I'm not looking at race here, I'm looking at integration specifically those who are non-white.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

vvv

Okay, mate, please don't misunderstand, i am talking about the immigrants primarily from Sudan, the ones who have immigrated over here are all disrespectful, and i think that in terms of adjustments, they should learn to abide by the law, not pick fights, and gang basj people. I do not want to come off as a racist idiot, as i am not.

you are a complete racist idiot to come out with a statement that africans need adjustments.

you are sick in the head.

link   
reply to post by Jace26

Pfft well why don't you just get Pauline Hansen back up there? Australia is one of the richest countries in the world, but the way its being run, a lot of things simply aren't working. LAB should be pooping themselves right now!! We can make so many good changes, like investing more money into government owned/funded agriculture problems. We could feed the whole country so cheaply, and give so many more people (including immigrants) apprenticeships and jobs! Australia could also be a food bowl, not just a coal hole!!!

link   

Originally posted by phalanx001

Wait, What?

vvv

Unfortunately we get a lot of that underlying xenophobic attitude of 'keeping our backyard clean' in Australia. This thread being living proof of that. Unfortunately the perpetrators of that underlying racism don't even realize that they are proliferating hate.
edit on 3/4/2012 by phalanx001 because: (no reason given)

I'm not trying to be racist here, neither am I racist. You can believe what you want, but I like different people but at the same time I want Australia to be kept "Australian". By that I don't mean by race but by identity which I fear we are losing to migrants who refuse to integrate.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
Aboriginals are immigrants too. They came from Indonesia and brought their dingoes with them.

Hell, how about the truth. Let us send everyone back to where they came from and we can have all 7 billion of us in the horn of Africa! Some Aboriginals say they want to life like their ancestors did until they have to chase dinner down with a spear.

If you want the real Aboriginal opinion go and meet the tribal Elders and have a chat. I have. They are despondant on their racial future but they do realise that the problems by and large belong to the Aboriginal people and not to 'white man.'

I am sick of the truth being called racist.

P

If this was aimed at me, I'm not suggesting anyone be sent back anywhere. On the contrary, I used the same logic Jace used to justify his 'claim' to Australia to point out the same point you're making. The bottom line is though that he is being xenophobic. How can migrants from various countries 'integrate' and declare themselves as Australian if the definition of Australian is 'of British descent' since the British 'built the country'. What gives Those of British descent more right to Australia? When does someone of non-British descent become 'Australian' ? There are definitely minorities that congregate and there are ethnic groups amongst which crime rates may be higher ... You won't solve the problem by telling them they are not Australian because they are non-British.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum

vvv

you are a complete racist idiot to come out with a statement that africans need adjustments.

you are sick in the head.

I beg to differ.

If you have seen the way they act around Brisbane, than you would be in the same boat as me. They regularly break the law. They bash people, they spit, they disrespect elders. Man, if you don not see where i am coming from then i don't know what else to tell you. I have met beautiful Africans, but the majority are so disrespectful, it isn't funny. Just last month, a 17 year old was gang bashed and mugged by 20 Africans. Violence is on the rise, particularly i the African community. But i am not racist nor "sick in the head."

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

your opening post is racist. like i said already you want everyone to be the same as you.

you can come up with any excuses or 'stories ' you like it doesn't change the fact this is yet another racist right wing thread on ATS.

frankly these threads make me puke and the mods need to start taking proper action on them.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join