It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you consider yourself Australian?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Hey everyone, as the title says I wanted to see who considers themselves to be Australian, specifically those who are non-white. I wanted to ask this since, I just got back from late night (shops) and there were a lot of Islanders, Asians, Arabs, and Africans and it sorta made me feel like an outsider in my own country. I just felt like they are making no effort to integrate. Don't get me wrong because I'm not trying to be racist and I don't want this thread to become another "race hate" thread. I just want to hear your opinions.
EDIT: Please comment only if your from Australia.
edit on 3-4-2012 by Jace26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Canadian...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Canadian...

Please no one comment if your not from Australia, thanks.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Nah, I just feel human...................and constipated.

vvv

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I was born in Australia and have lived here for 40+ years but I do not consider myself Australian, my roots are in Scotland and I 'fit' better in that culture.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
Nah, I just feel human...................and constipated.

vvv

Once again, please do not comment if your not from Australia and I only want serious answers, thankyou.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I suppose that there isn't any obligation for them to integrate, although that depends on your definition of integration - as I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

What I mean is that when they enter the country they are free to behave as they see fit provided they don't break the law. In other words too much immigration (I am not against immigration, but am against too much concentrated in one area) is due to the policies of the government of the day, voted in by the people.

In recent years in Australia the concensus is that the country must recognise geographical facts and attract investment and talent from Eastern countries. The 'umbilical cord' with the UK is gradually being cut and one of the consequences of this is increased migration from countries in your part of the world.

By the way I am not from Australia but I thought I had something to contribute.
edit on 3-4-2012 by freethinker123 because: typos

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

I am sorry mate, but I can comment wherever I want.

You feeling like a stranger in your own country, is a feeling that many feel, not just Australians. Any country where there is a huge mix of different cultures, will invoke these type of feelings.

You know you are Australian, or do you consider yourself something else? If you go to another country, you will identify yourself as Austrlian, and so will the other people there, if they are now Austrlian citizens.

vvv

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merlot
I was born in Australia and have lived here for 40+ years but I do not consider myself Australian, my roots are in Scotland and I 'fit' better in that culture.

I suppose that is the result of how you were raised, but I'm looking for mainly non-white people. I feel like Australian culture and identity is being pushed out and replaced with Islander, Asian, Muslim cultures. I never see anyone non-whites attend ANZAC day marches, nor do I ever see them celebrating Australia day, and so on.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jace26

Canadian...

Well the real question then is:

Do you consider yourself an Australian, or a member of ATS?

If you are a member of ATS, you'd know that anyone is free to participate in threads. Not our fault you made a thread that only applies to Australians...

... but as another poster mentioned, Australia isn't the only multicultural country in the world. Maybe you can reword your poorly chosen question.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
OK, Born in Australia, Live in Australia but am I Australian????

Sadly No, well at least I don't consider myself to be. My heritage is Bavarian, Maori and a bit of Welsh.
I am of the opinion that unless you are of Aboriginal descent you are an Immigrant to this country.

Oh, Word to the wise. Asking for an opinion on a public forum and stating you only want certain responses never works. Everyone is entitled to comment on any thread.... "At least unless the Mods don't like it"

Damn you Boncho, you beat me to it!!!!
edit on 3-4-2012 by Wewillrise77 because: Boncho

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
reply to post by Jace26

I am sorry mate, but I can comment wherever I want.

You feeling like a stranger in your own country, is a feeling that many feel, not just Australians. Any country where there is a huge mix of different cultures, will invoke these type of feelings.

You know you are Australian, or do you consider yourself something else? If you go to another country, you will identify yourself as Austrlian, and so will the other people there, if they are now Austrlian citizens.

vvv

I meant no offence, I just want to hear opinions from some diverse backgrounds who are living in Australia.

I don't really agree with you on your second paragraph. I mean look at America they (contrary to popular belief) are very monocultural because they have had "ethnics" living there for hundreds of years.
But in Australia we were almost a completely white country less than 50 years ago, and now in the last 10 years we are being inundated with different races and cultures, and I think they should make the effort to integrate.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jace26

Canadian...

Well the real question then is:

Do you consider yourself an Australian, or a member of ATS?

If you are a member of ATS, you'd know that anyone is free to participate in threads. Not our fault you made a thread that only applies to Australians...

... but as another poster mentioned, Australia isn't the only multicultural country in the world. Maybe you can reword your poorly chosen question.

How is my question "poorly chosen"?
All I want to know is if non-white people consider themselves Australian or not. If you live in another country then it obviously does not apply to you.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I love meat pies
I love beer
I love BBQs
I listen to JJJ
I own a ratted up blue singlet
I like to go to Bali for holidays

I consider myself Australian

I look Asian
I sound like an American
I don't know any Jimmy Barnes songs
I don't even live in Australia anymore

But I still call Australia home

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wewillrise77
OK, Born in Australia, Live in Australia but am I Australian????

Sadly No, well at least I don't consider myself to be. My heritage is Bavarian, Maori and a bit of Welsh.
I am of the opinion that unless you are of Aboriginal descent you are an Immigrant to this country.

Oh, Word to the wise. Asking for an opinion on a public forum and stating you only want certain responses never works. Everyone is entitled to comment on any thread.... "At least unless the Mods don't like it"

Damn you Boncho, you beat me to it!!!!
edit on 3-4-2012 by Wewillrise77 because: Boncho

That theory would work, but unfortunately for you Australia does have its own culture and heritage, the British built this country, then developed a unique identity in Australia. Without that "culture" immigrants would never be able to come here, so they should integrate into the culture they accepted.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

But in Australia we were almost a completely white country less than 50 years ago, and now in the last 10 years we are being inundated with different races and cultures, and I think they should make the effort to integrate.

Wait, What?

So what about the native people that lived in Australia, before any white people came there?

Furthermore, if there are people from different countries coming to Australia, legally immigrating there, they still have a right to practice and follow their own culture, and heritage. Yes, they are now Australians, but you must remember, they still have their unique backgrounds. Integrating does not happen overnight, and 10 years is but a short span of time for something like this.

And why do I get the feeling you are a bit xenophobic??

vvv
edit on 3-4-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

Ok thats interesting, but how can you look Asian? You either Asian or not, right?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I am white and Australian, and i consider myself an Aussie

I do however agree with this immigration stuff. It is getting beyond a joke. Has anyone here seen SE QLD, particularly Brisbane. Holy Crap has it been flooded with imigrants, particularly from Africa. Go to central station and there are Africans EVERYWHERE. You drive through the "African suburbs" and they all stop and stare at you, like you don't belong there. The way in which the Africans show disrespect and appalling behaviour to the wider community is disgusting, trying to pick fights, spitting, name calling, yelling, being public disturbances. All things i hardly ever see a "white" person do. Don't get me wrong, i am not racist, but something must be going down for all these Africans to be moving in. What is worse is that they all move in and create their own structured society, keeping to themselves, forming "gang" like groups, a country within a country if you will. Most other cultures and races though are very respectful, especially the Asian races. Muslims are pretty cool too, but Africans, there needs to be adjustments with them.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Australian's are Aborigines. Anyone else is a foreigner. End off.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
I consider myself Australian

I dont love meat pies.
I dont love beer.
I dont love BBQs
I dont listen to JJJ
I've never owned a blue singlet
I have no desire to ever go to Bali
I dont love Holden cars
Never really liked the way Jimmy Barnes sings
Not a fan of "the bush"
Never once had the desire to watch an AFL or NRL game, anywhere.

Make a longer list of "Aussie" things, and you'll find none of them apply to me.
But I'm a white Aussie guy from a farm near a country town.
Never in my whole life have I ever assimilated into my own country's culture.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join