It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N Korea threatens to turn Japan into 'nuclear sea of fire'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

SEOUL � North Korea threatened Thursday to turn Japan into a "nuclear sea of fire" if the United States attacks it with nuclear weapons, South Korea's Yonhap News Agency reported, quoting a North Korean newspaper report.

Rodong Sinmun, the newspaper of North Korea's Workers Party of Korea, said U.S. military bases in Japan would come under its attack in the event of a nuclear war.

"If the United States ignites a nuclear war, the U.S. military bases in Japan would serve as a detonating fuse to turn Japan into a nuclear sea of fire," the paper said in an article, according to Yonhap.

The threat comes as Japanese and U.S. reconnaissance information indicate that North Korea may be preparing to test-fire either a Rodong or a Taepodong ballistic missile or conduct a missile engine combustion test, Japanese government sources said Thursday

www.japantoday.com...

It's also worth noting that U.S. Pacific Command Commander Adm. Thomas Fargo said Thursday the United States plans to deploy a second carrier battle group in the Pacific region.

Plus, the U.S. Navy will begin deploying state-of-the-art destroyers to patrol the waters off North Korea as early as next week....

The mission, to be conducted in the Sea of Japan by ships assigned to the Navy's 7th fleet, will help lay the foundation for a system to detect and intercept ballistic missiles launched by "rogue nations."

[edit on 24-9-2004 by rangeroftheeast]

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Poor Japan. It's surprising that it doesn't glow in the dark yet.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Oddly enough, the US carmakers would be dancing in the streets if Japan was nuked by NK....!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Oddly enough, the US carmakers would be dancing in the streets if Japan was nuked by NK....!!!

yeah, but all the gamers would be devestated.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
But it would not stop there!
If that happens welcome to WWIII.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   

North Korea threatened Thursday to turn Japan into a "nuclear sea of fire" if the United States attacks it with nuclear weapons, South Korea's Yonhap News Agency reported, quoting a North Korean newspaper report.

- That's very different to the original 'headline' of an implied threat to go nuts with nuclear weapons for no reason wouldn't you say?

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Actually, it probably would stop there... The only one who'd be terribly upset (other than those bombed) would be the Chinese...and they'd have Japan out of their hair, so I doubt they'd miss NK all that much....(as it would be a crater as well).

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Lets say that it did happen. What do you think would happen next? Would the US just wipe the country off the face of the Earth to make sure that they didn't use any more nukes?

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Lets say that it did happen. What do you think would happen next? Would the US just wipe the country off the face of the Earth to make sure that they didn't use any more nukes?

like sminkey pointed out - the article says if the US attacks NK first.
So if we ever had a good enough reason to attack with nukes, i highly doubt NK would even have the chance to nuke Japan like it threatens.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Seeing as how NK's airforce and silos would be destroyed before they even knew what hit them, even if they managed to get one or two nukes up, they'd (the missiles) be toast anyhow....

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by quango
[like sminkey pointed out - the article says if the US attacks NK first.
So if we ever had a good enough reason to attack with nukes, i highly doubt NK would even have the chance to nuke Japan like it threatens.

I agree, IF the US were going to first strike with Nukes, it would be the prudent thing to do to take out the NK's nuclear sites with some B-2's armed with some nuke gravity bombs usuing a TOT attack. Threat over. Break out the marshmellows. The radiation from NK would allow you to rast them via micrwave all the way back at Guam.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
We wouldn't even have to use nukes for a first strike....it could easily be done with conventional weapons... No need to tick off the neighbors....

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
What I want to know is why didn't we attack NK first when we knew and still know that they had and still have nuclear weapons? We have more evidence that NK does than we do about Iraq.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
maybe I am wrong, but isn't Japan rather close to Korea? If they were to nuke Japan to the extent described there, wouldn't they get an awful dose of radiation and crap? seems to me, there might not be anything left of korea either.....
but then, maybe I am wrong....
but, I wouldn't want to nuke anyone that close to me.. if they desire to test their nukes, may I suggest Jerusalem, or Mecca, they'd be doiing the whole earth a favor then.....since these are the two peices of real estate most of the contention in the world centers around. and, it's much farther away from them.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
It's too bad how George W Bush claimed to be saving the world, or doing the world a huge favour by removing Saddam's regime in Iraq.

Well Iraq was a mistake, plain and simple, while N.Korea has continued to snub the world and could very well be building 8 nukes per year in the next year or so.

On a danger scale,

Iraq is a 2
Iran a 5
N.Korea a 9!

I hope when N.Korea starts selling off dirty nukes on the blackmarket it wont be too late to take action against the true "axis of evil"

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I agree, IF the US were going to first strike with Nukes, it would be the prudent thing to do to take out the NK's nuclear sites with some B-2's armed with some nuke gravity bombs usuing a TOT attack. Threat over. Break out the marshmellows. The radiation from NK would allow you to rast them via micrwave all the way back at Guam.

- ......and this nice easy (safe?) rosey picture/scenario is all going to depend on intel even less 'complete' than Iraq right?

(what with NK being such a closed country and all....and intel in Iraq, despite years of surveilance, not exactly pointing to 'great job' in store)

It must be the way you tell 'em!

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
[ - ......and this nice easy (safe?) rosey picture/scenario is all going to depend on intel even less 'complete' than Iraq right?
(what with NK being such a closed country and all....and intel in Iraq, despite years of surveilance, not exactly pointing to 'great job' in store)

Sminkey Sminkey Sminkey AIrbus is unfairly..... wait wrong thread

No it was just a scnearion. No one is going to drop nucler weps on NK. Not anytime soon. This was more of a responce to a discussion about NK not hitting Japan. If the US were to first strike, the NK launch and nuclear facilites would be on a short list. But the US is not going to attack.

If you are droping nukes, your intell has to be in the ballpark not perfect.

[edit on 24-9-2004 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
What I want to know is why didn't we attack NK first when we knew and still know that they had and still have nuclear weapons? We have more evidence that NK does than we do about Iraq.

Excellent point. I wonder why the Dems aren't making an issue of this for the election.

Odd

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
If North Korea so much as sends a trooper across the border to pick up a pizza, the whole country is going to be a greasy smudge within about ten minutes, and they know it.

Kim jong-Il is the geopolitical equivalent of the kid that used to beat you up and take your lunch money, but works under you at the carbonics plant these days. It's really more sad than worrisome.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
FredT says:

"Sminkey Sminkey Sminkey AIrbus is unfairly..... "

I agree, teammate. If we're going to use nuclear weapons on the DPRK, why not save a few and visit Toulouse, France at the same time?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join