It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May insists snoopers vital to fight crime

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Theresa May insists snoopers vital to fight crime

Web spies ‘will trap killers like Huntley’

The Home Secretary says the new powers are needed to "help police stay one step ahead of the criminals".
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 3-4-2012 by GeordieLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
It's the usual scenario yet again, use fear to push through a law that will do very little - if any good to 99% of the population, but allows the government a free run at watching anything and everything you do online.

...i wish people in the UK would have the balls to stand up and revolt like they did in Egypt. We can only take so much prodding with a stick before we lash out...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I have no opinion other than this does not sound good.

On another note, they have no beer in Egypt, This is my reasoning about why there was a rebellion(among other things)
There is GREAT BEER in the UK and why revolt when you can just have a few pints?

BTW twixt the Tyne and the Wear is where you find Stotties, what is a Geordie doin in the land of the Windmills?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Well golly gee, why stop there? A total police state is totally free of crime. That is some scary logic to ever hear someone in a position of real power or influence using on these topics.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

the Home Secretary says the new powers are needed to "help police stay one step ahead of the criminals".

They're delving into the area of "precrime" now?

She vows that GCHQ spies will NOT target ordinary people.

Only terror suspects and serious criminals such as Soham child murderer Huntley have anything to fear.

Gee. that sounds familiar.

informationclearinghouse.info

Truth has Become Treason

But wait---Congress assures us the Patriot Act only targets foreigners, who come to our shores seeking to destroy our way of life through violent, criminal acts. Good, law abiding Americans have nothing to fear. The Patriot Act restricts its powers of "roving wiretaps" and warrantless searches to international communications among "bad guys." Congress has sworn, with hand on heart, it's only purpose is breaking down terrorist cells and hunting out "lone wolf" mad men.

That's what they told you, right? And you believed them? You trust the government. Well, that was your first mistake. With regards to the Patriot Act, it's a fatal one. Would the government lie to you? You betcha! And they have.

The Patriot Act reaches far beyond terrorism prevention. In my home state of Maryland, State Police invoked the Patriot Act to run surveillance on the Chesapeake Climate Action Network dedicated to wind power, recycling and protection of the Chesapeake Bay. They infiltrated the DC Anti War Network, suggesting the group might be a front for "white supremacists," and Amnesty International, claiming to investigate "civil rights abuses." Opponents of the death penalty also got targeted (in case they got violent).

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Well, if that doesn't do it, they can always cry, "For the CHILLLL-dren!" That's the way we do it over here in the US. Damned effective, too. We're so proud....

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626

the Tyne and the Wear is where you find Stotties, what is a Geordie doin in the land of the Windmills?

Ha! Ain't you ever seen "Auf Weidersehen Pet"? Times are hard at home - especially in the Shipbuilding Industry. Since the yards of the Tyne all wound down, i had no option but to "follow the money" - It was either that, or work in ASDA / TESCO, which is all we seem to have left at home now...

(sorry to digress!)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
This is all expected and was predicted by many as soon as Anonymous and their kind started making headlines.

Is this exactly what governments wanted or is it a consequence of them not planning and preparing for it from the first day the internet and satellite communication was given to the public? Is it a diabolical plot or an inexcusable negligence?
Was money made implementing global communications and will money be made policing it after it is so big there is no way to put the cat back into the bag?
It could be a conglomeration of all of the above.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

...some even say that the whole "Anonymous" setup is a government creation to give them a reason to bring in legislation just like this...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by GeordieLegend

This legislation has been doing the rounds since about 2007, I think. Brown told us the same thing May has just done, oddly enough the Conservatives opposed it last time round and here it is, barely changed, being proposed by them...

Really kind of pisses me off. I voted Tory as I knew they could sort out this clusterfudge Labour left us with regards to the economy and, despite what some may have you believe they are actually doing a decent job.....But, I don't recall this being in their manifesto and, in fact, they promised to strenghten civil liberties and wind back the Big brother state Labour had happily foisted upon us...

Lying barstewards.... I'm not surprised, but still... It's the sheer brazen, bare face of it that really pisses me off...
edit on 3/4/12 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Well you know I'm no fan of the coalition, but I thought the one good thing about having a coalition of liberal and conservatives, would be the roll back of the over bearing security obsessions of the last Labour party.

The thing about living in a free and democratic country, is that crime will exist and even terrorism. But, I would rather have these security risks and remain in a free society than to clamp down on society with draconian security measures. I'm not scared of terrorists, I'm not scared of criminals. In a free society you take your chances.

I am scared of an over bearing government who seeks to monitor the behavior of all it's citizens. Collectively punishing society for the few wrong uns out there.

It seems once in power Governments get the idea that they must protect the citizens against any possible risk, even if that means removing valued civil liberties.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Indeed, I was genuinely please that it was a hung parliament and no party had control. I (naively perhaps) believed the same as you, that it would force them to work together and actually do what they had said they would..

I'll give them some credit, they have rolled back quite a few of the draconian Police powers, but they have replaced it with this? Two steps forward, ten steps back...

(OT: Theresa May is oddly alluring though.....)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
this is VERY unpopular on everysite ive been on. there is already an epetition for this which ive just signed. 4000 (almost) signatures in a couple days. says alot

submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk...

theres the link. i know it may not do much but i suppose if enough people sign it and take it WAY past its 150000 bench mark they may have to listen. im posting this on my facebook and twitter etc also.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Megatronus

Cheers dude..

Signed and Facebooked...

Ironically enough, to sign the petition you have to give over information, then the act of sharing via Pacebook probably gives them even more info....

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Hello nazism and communism.
Just as Hitler gave all his countrymen free radios to ingest his propaganda of poison, just as he encouraged his countrymen to snitch on their families and neighbours who didnt believe the propaganda of poison, just as he invented enemies to his state in order to implement these draconian measures, we find ourselves in the same boat.
The writing on the wall is for all to understand.

Deception
War
Famine
Death

The four horses of Revelation that come against all the nations of Israel - take out a globe and circle the countries where true Christianity flourished over the past 2000 years and you'll find the descendants of Israel. You'll also find the same propaganda of poison that has led many to believe its lies.

"When I fed them, they were satisfied;
when they were satisfied, they became proud;
then they forgot me."

"Return, O Israel, to the LORD your God. Your sins have been your downfall!"

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Cheers dude..

Signed and Facebooked...

Ironically enough, to sign the petition you have to give over information, then the act of sharing via Pacebook probably gives them even more info....

the irony of this didnt escape me ha! im currently having an argument with a sheep who is convinced the government can be trusted with this power and that they wont abuse it. he welcomes it.

what worries me is this snooping legislation combined with outsourcing police work to private security firms. security thugs with the power to snoop into your life.now thats very scary.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

*Groan*

Lose the religious nonsense mate and you could have made a valid point....

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone in the UK who would swallow that hogwash,,

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

To be fair, this doesn't give any power to the Police, per se.

GCHQ is something else and it's only them who can even do this, let alone be allowed to. Your average pold will only be on the pointy end of the "intelligence" gleemed with no knowledge of where it came from or how.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
They have probably been doing for years anyway. Even if they have to publicly back down due to pressure, they will continue to do it in secret. The system is well past the point of no return.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

To be fair, this doesn't give any power to the Police, per se.

GCHQ is something else and it's only them who can even do this, let alone be allowed to. Your average pold will only be on the pointy end of the "intelligence" gleemed with no knowledge of where it came from or how.

True, although i like the idea on a government "alphabet agency" having the ability to snoop even less. i have no doubt that they will quietly filter amendmants to it through if they can get away with it to give them more powers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join