It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,200 U.S. Marines in Morocco for ‘Africa Lion’ exercise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
1,200 U.S. Marines in Morocco for ‘Africa Lion’ exercise

This ^^ article in The World Tribune is saying the U.S. is sending 1200 Marines to Morocco.
Morocco is located in Northwest Africa.

They talk about a military exercise called "African Lion" scheduled to happen in early April.

Can someone confirm this ?

March 29th, 2012 | Posted by admin ??

WASHINGTON — The United States has been sending troops for a major
military exercise in Morocco.

The U.S. Marine Corps has sent hundreds of soldiers for African Lion,
scheduled to take place in Morocco in early April. Officials said 1,200
U.S. military personnel were being prepared for the exercise in the North
African kingdom.

“If we can get the Moroccans to work with their neighbors too, who then might work with us in the future, it promotes stability and cooperation,” Marine Col. Roger Garay said.

“We need more stability in that part of the world.”

Garay has overseen deployment of his 14th Marine Regiment, based in Fort Worth, Texas....

I would think a Pentagon Spokesperson would be announcing this, not a Colonel

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Fort Worth Star-Telegram

www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/25/3834492/fort-worth-based-14th-marine-regiment.html

Fort Worth-based 14th Marine Regiment to train with Moroccan military
Posted Sunday, Mar. 25, 2012

(...)

More than 1,200 U.S. military personnel, including 250 Marine reservists from North Texas, will participate in the exercise, which begins in early April. An advance team left Sunday night. The rest will leave later this week.

(...)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I am just guessing here, but 1200 marines ia about the same size of a Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU). MEUs are paired with Navy Amphibious Ready Groups (ARGs) which are a small flotilla of ships designed to carry and deliver said marines anywhere in the world in the event of a crisis or contingency. Usually there are 2 or 3 of these at sea at any given time. Often (but not always) paired with or near a Carrier Battle Group. During an MEU/ARG deployment (which can last up to a year) they will land and conduct joint exercises with allied and friendly countries. This is too keep the Maines trained up (only so much training you can do cooped up on a boat), and to build relationships with other countries. Typically 2 or 3 major exercises will be conducted, unless other contingencies arise. i am going to guess, that's probably what this is.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
If I were a US contigency planner this is exactly what i would be doing
war with iran is not a 100% probability but it's pretty high. this could
also be of use within diplomatic, cough 1200 marines ready to go will
get your attention pretty quick.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Well it's ok I guess.
If the Morroccon's know about it and consent.
So have they been told ?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by xecoybh
Fort Worth Star-Telegram

www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/25/3834492/fort-worth-based-14th-marine-regiment.html

Fort Worth-based 14th Marine Regiment to train with Moroccan military
Posted Sunday, Mar. 25, 2012

(...)

More than 1,200 U.S. military personnel, including 250 Marine reservists from North Texas, will participate in the exercise, which begins in early April. An advance team left Sunday night. The rest will leave later this week.

(...)

So it's reservists. Not an MEU like I thought. Oh well, still a nice sized force, about 2 to 3 battalions worth. It would be unlikely, (but not unheard of) for these guys to be used for anything other then this training exercise.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
It's an annual exericise with Morocco. There have been five so far. It also involves around 900 Moroccan soldiers.

www.worldnewstribune.com...

www.worldnewstribune.com...

new topics

top topics

join