It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finding shows the moon comes only from earth, not giant collision

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
If this finding is true, they may have solved a few mysteries in space exploration. What does the ATS experts have to say about this? Is this proof that the moon comes only from earth, and giant collisions are completely ruled out?

techzwn.com...

The giant-collision theory of the moon’s origin just got blown out of orbit. Using a comparative analysis of titanium from the moon, Earth, and meteorites, researchers at the University of Chicago found the moon comes from just a single source: Earth.

The giant-collision theory holds that the moon formed after the Earth crashed into a Mars-sized object scientists dub “Theia” some 4.5 billion years ago

Despite the discovery, however, the moon’s origin remains a mystery. Dauphas said “We thought we knew what the moon was made of and how it formed, but even 40 years after Apollo, there is still a lot of science to do with those samples that are in curatorial facilities at NASA.”

I did find the above comment interesting. I think it only shows that no matter what they may think they know, science is constantly changing and we may never completely understand our universe.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Just playing devil's boyfriend here but, if something collided with Earth in the past...wouldn't it make sense that the earth would have absorbed some of its material as well as the moon? Wouldn't that make it reasonable that they would both have similar compositions?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The only explanation is that aliens took a huge chunk of matter out of the earth, crafted it into, what we now call the moon, then hollowed it out in order to occupy the center of it and use it as a craft in the future.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by budaruskie

I'm no astro-physicist but I think it would need to collide very slowly or rather softly otherwise....BOOM!

edit on 2/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by budaruskie
Just playing devil's boyfriend here but, if something collided with Earth in the past...wouldn't it make sense that the earth would have absorbed some of its material as well as the moon? Wouldn't that make it reasonable that they would both have similar compositions?

Just beat me to it budaruskie, both parts would be contaminated by any foreign matter/elements and it would be weirder if the moon did not contain similarities to Earth's composition. Don't really know much about it but looking forward to seeing what knowledge the ATS collective can share on this fascinating subject.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
This is an interesting find. If they have ruled out the collision theory, I guess we're back to square one on how the Moon came to be. Maybe it developed out of the same materials the Earth did and fell into Earth orbit.

I suppose they're doing the same kind of research on Mars. Will be interesting to see how Martian makeup compares to Earth.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Nice video, nice choice of music too. Lots of heat producted by impact right? Heat is used to mold things together, right? See the point I'm making?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeforeTheHangmansNoose
The only explanation is that aliens took a huge chunk of matter out of the earth, crafted it into, what we now call the moon, then hollowed it out in order to occupy the center of it and use it as a craft in the future.

I think there's a more reasonable explanation. Is it possible that when the Earth was forming, instead of just one large object forming (the Earth), the outer dust rotating around the central mass sort of condenses into it's own little object? It's sort of hard to explain, but I think it's possible. It's probably why so many large masses actually have smaller satellites orbiting them. The initial formation process doesn't necessarily have to result in one single massive body, but dust orbiting around the central body at just the right distance could build into smaller masses which don't end up fusing with the larger mass.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by budaruskie

But as the simulation shows, the larger object absorbs the smaller one completely, it doesn't melt and then drip a large piece back off into space. I find the premise that the moon coming from the earth to be highly unlikely but like I said I'm no astro-physicist.

They compared titanium they claim comes from the moon. See my point?
Oh let's not go there! You win, hands down, I'll turn my conspiracy theories to other matters.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumansEh

Originally posted by budaruskie

Just beat me to it budaruskie, both parts would be contaminated by any foreign matter/elements and it would be weirder if the moon did not contain similarities to Earth's composition. Don't really know much about it but looking forward to seeing what knowledge the ATS collective can share on this fascinating subject.

I think it would be fairly easy for scientists to detect if that were the case. One part of the Earth (the collision point) would contain a high concentration of the materials left by the foreign mass. They could simply look at the composition of the moon and then search for a large area of Earth which is similar, which they obviously cannot locate.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

If they extracted a huge chunk of cheese from the Earth the hollowing out process would be vastly simplified, not to mention delicious.
Perfect with some crusty Martian bread and a glass of Romulan ale. First contact will happen after lunar lunch when they sober up.

See my signature

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

I think there's a more reasonable explanation. Is it possible that when the Earth was forming, instead of just one large object forming (the Earth), the outer dust rotating around the central mass sort of condenses into it's own little object? It's sort of hard to explain, but I think it's possible. It's probably why so many large masses actually have smaller satellites orbiting them. The initial formation process doesn't necessarily have to result in one single massive body, but dust orbiting around the central body at just the right distance could build into smaller masses which don't end up fusing with the larger mass.

According to the bible (im not religious in anyway shape or form), "God" created the earth

God = aliens

therefore

Aliens = creators of moon

You ask why, i ask why not.

ATS lost it's hypothetical speculation a long time ago

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I think it would be fairly easy for scientists to detect if that were the case. One part of the Earth (the collision point) would contain a high concentration of the materials left by the foreign mass. They could simply look at the composition of the moon and then search for a large area of Earth which is similar, which they obviously cannot locate.

Not to mention the rather large dent in the bodywork.
Teeth marks in the pie so to speak.
Maybe the foreign mass that collided wasn't so different to the composition of the Earth in the first place like two cars of the same colour colliding.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The only thing more amazing than this discovery is that scientists continue to think they know anything at all in the larger scheme of things. At least they got their 15 minutes of fake fame.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The theory's dumb, cuz piece of earth would have to break off earth "no collision" with no 3rd object (be it comet dry ice & water lol)

How would piece of earth just enter separate orbit around itself? LOL

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

That was long one of the theories called the Condensation Theory, but in many ways the composition is too different for this to work. It should have a larger iron core and also doesn't explain the extra baking the lunar surface has received.

It's possible there is some process that isn't being understood with either the Giant Impactor theory (aka the Ejected Ring theory), or the Condensation theory. I think either are still the most sensible or most likely. The capture theory just doesn't work because the Earth's gravity is just too weak to have captured a passing body the size of the moon, and, well, we know the two bodies are made of basically the same stuff. The Fission Theory, that the moon's matter was somehow spun off of a early, rapidly spinning earth also doesn't work because there should be evidence of such a rapid spin to the Earth in its early days, but it just doesn't show that.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Nicolas Dauphas, UChicago associate professor in geophysical sciences, holds vials of material collected from the moon during the Apollo 14 mission. He and graduate student Junjun Zhang also worked with samples from the Apollo 15, 16 and 17 lunar missions in their new study on the origin of the moon.

source

soundstage sweepings would test out to be rather terrestrial, no

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Whys it gotta be aliens... why not the original human race that advanced well beyond where we are now....

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Reminds me of the book "mother earth, our womb of life". Says the earth will give birth to its core and it becoming another moon. or somthin like that.
Science is like a pencil. Its got an eraser for a reason. Nice find.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Well, if the Giant Impactor theory is correct, the size of the object that would have hit Earth Mark I would have been about the size of Mars and Earth would have been a bit smaller than it is now. Such a huge collision would have completely melted both the object and Earth Mark I and they would be absorbed into each other by this process. The whole thing would have become a molten ball again, which then had to cool a second time. So, you see, there really isn't a specific location on the Earth where you could find this impact because the process was so violent that it would have remade the Earth completely into Earth Mark II, which would be the Earth we live on now. The material that made up Earth I and the impactor (called Thea) is now the material that makes up Earth II and the Moon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join