It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone please explain this bible contradiction?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I apologize in advance for not explaining what you have asked, but so many have correctly explained this to you. I think you should study the Word of Yahweh (God) and pray for discernment. He will reveal the secret things to those who are sincerely pursuing His heart. I could not imagine not having the love of God in my life. Thank you for asking your question. I just hope that is was not in haste. I hope that you were asking this question to further your relationship with God. Have a blessed day!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
Here's my problem with statements about the factuality of the bible. It seems everyone has this understanding that things in the bible are metaphysical, not literal. So my question is: what if the WHOLE bible is not meant to be taken literally?........

Actually, there is literal and figurative language throughout the Word of God. Jesus talked in parables, the major and minor prophets wrote what they were given in dreams or in the spirit. Anytime you see text that starts with "I was in the spirit, I was on my bed, in a vision etc..." you know that the following text is figurative. For the most part, this figurative language is explained by the Holy Bible itself. Just read the first chapter of Revelation. You will get the description of the vision first and then the angel gives the descriptions of the figurative language.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The deluge was Judgment Day for that generation. People who died faithful before that day will return on Last Day, which Jesus' death legalized. The deluge had a greater purpose than to just kill a wicked generation of humans. Nasty people with perfect bodies, that lived a long time, just didn't fit into God's plan.

The numerous passages in the creation days mentioning 'it was good' turned to crap after man started to fill the earth. God decided to remove a number of those good things he had made because man was taking them for granted.

The main purpose of the flood was to damage the atmospheric cocktail mix in the expanse. God said in Genesis 6 that his spirit shall not always strive with man for that he is also flesh. Yet his days shall be a hundred and twenty years. Spirit in this instance has to be atmospheric content that contributed to long life and well being. The bad air was meant for future generations, not just for those experiencing the flood at the moment.

edit on 2-4-2012 by lostinspace because: wording

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Well here's my own personal take on it --- speculative on my part while trying to integrate multiple "religions" and "archeology" like the Ancient Aliens stuff, etc.

Like the Zodiac's Astrological age (wiki), the progression of the ages raises the world consciousness to now where we've finally achieved a matured "Evolution of Consciousness" (Mayan concept).

As in the days of Noah - with the nephalim (age of Leo), there were genetic experiment results, giants, and technology advanced rulership. We're seeing some of that already now. Especially in our foods, wars, etc.

And as the "son of man" cometh (IMHO skynet self-aware - ref my thread: Skynet Rising, "son of man": AI Threat to Existence ), we're faced with a destruction by fire in this transition of ages.

That fire is both truth and possibly sun-scorches, nuclear events, and so-on. But whenever we get on through to the other side we'll either have the enslavement of mankind or the 1000 years of heaven on earth.

Each of the "ages" has a "theme" of consciousness development - with a bit of similarity to that mayan pyramid of "galactic consciousness", but more evenly spaced and more aimed toward enlightenment for the benefit of graduation toward eternal life (regardless if its heavenly or hellish for whichever individual). And yea, even the distopic visions like "The Hunger Game", "Brave New World", "1984", "2081 Harrison Bergeron", and so-on... a technology-advanced system may still provide all the creature comforts with extended lifespans and opportunity for learning the eternal truths - rather than the historic oppressive evils that have ruled us against our 'nature'. Instead it does appear we're finally ready via the information in the stories to "rule ourselves" as aligned to either God or Satan.

And regardless who gets ownership of the planet, I know who's side I'm on - regardless the costs.
edit on 4/2/2012 by reitze because: +link

edit on 4/2/2012 by reitze because: wording, spelling

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

Okay, if I may interject here:

"There were giants on the earth then..." IIRC, according to the Bible.

Also, and along the same lines; didn't Noah live like 800 years or something? Maybe God wanted to shorten the time available to the others of this age to limit their ability to do damage. We are instilled with free will, after all.

Lastly, we have been forgiven, we just have to ask for it. "I knock..."
But how many ask, or even consider forgiveness?

Most people still go about their lives as if: "it's right for me, so it's right."

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies
I don't mean to offend, but I am sure some of you will be offended..

In the bible god apparently flooded the entire earth to drown everyone and eliminate corruption and sin.
But later rather than drown the entire world again he sends down Jesus to absorb the world of sin.

Why did he drown the entire world in the first place when he could have just sent down Jesus?

Was this brutal slaughter of mankind necessary? And why doesn’t he use the same method on us?

Does this prove that the god of the bible is not all knowing and clearly makes mistakes? Because if he was all knowing he would have known that drowning the entire world was not effective.

Why did god order his soldiers to cur babies from the womb. Why did mass murder men women and children. Then why did he send down jesus pretending to be love peace and hair grease while at the same time chastizing jews for not stoning their disobediant kids to death or upholding all of the ridiculous death penalties in the law of moses. Why dont more people understand jesus completely supported his mass murdering maniac father.

Oooh wait. Because the bible has about the same degree of truth in traffic it as a comic book. The creationary force that is god exists but that isnt the biblical god. There was a jesus cult and a jesus but the biblical jesus is a composite of numerous deities and messianic figures.

Do you honeztly think humanity would exist if the egomaniacal, mass murdering, torturing baby killer hebrew god was real? He had temper tantrums regularly over silliness and butcherex millions of innocent lives.

Study the bible and how it cane to be. Look at the original bibles 3 of the first ten are still around. No resurrection either. Lots of differences. Study history and sort out why the first pope never believed in a physical jesus. Then figure out why any christian crucifixion painting bwfore 500 ad didnt have jesus they all showed a lamb. Until the church banned the lamb and inserted the composite metaphorical jesus on the cross and into the physical world.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Some people suggest you pray for discernment. Whomever created the universe started a chain of events that led to you being intelligent. Use your brain. Logic is your ability to discern truth from tripe. Faith is a religous tool to guilt you into not using your logic. Because if you did the truth is obvious. An example that ministers try to rationalize and fail at unless they catch you with the faith thing.

Look up jesus's quotes on prayer. There are about three dozen times where he reiterates the same thing. "Ask anything in my name and it will be done". The ministers and the flock make excuses over that simple statement jesus constantly repeated. Here is why. He didnt qualify it. Ask anything of me and it will be done. Ministers say your prayer didnt get answered because you lack faith or it wasnt important enough. Jesus never said "will be granted unless i deem it insignificant. Inthe name of god and his son jesus christ i ask you inthe name of god to appear beside me right now. Or iask you inthe name of blah blah blah to give my amputee friend bob his leg back right now. Jesus lied plain and simple. The penalty for that in the law of moses that he came to fufill is death. Maybe thats why nobody has seen him for 2000 yrs. My bad thats because hes a ficticous storybook character.

Use your brain. It is there for a reason. Let the christians jews musilms etc believe what makes them happy. Dont get sold a bill of goods. I started catholic and began questioning my faith. Rather i started using my brain and seeing all of the lies contradictions and bs in the bible. I also learned even if the bible was real that the god of the bible isnt worth my worship. I wouldnt pray to a psychotic baby killing mass murderer.. r

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by troubleshooter

No...the culling of the tribe of "giants" before Genesis 15.

Genesis 14:1-17 Genesis 14:1 And it came to pass in the days of Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Chedorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of nations; 2 That these made war with Bera king of Sodom, and with Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, and Shemeber king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela, which is Zoar. 3 All these were joined together in the vale of Siddim, which is the salt sea. 4 Twelve years they served Chedorlaomer, and in the thirteenth year they rebelled. 5 And in the fourteenth year came Chedorlaomer, and the kings that were with him, and smote the Rephaims in Ashteroth Karnaim, and the Zuzims in Ham, and the Emims in Shaveh Kiriathaim, 6 And the Horites in their mount Seir, unto Elparan, which is by the wilderness. 7 And they returned, and came to Enmishpat, which is Kadesh, and smote all the country of the Amalekites, and also the Amorites, that dwelt in Hazezontamar. 8 And there went out the king of Sodom, and the king of Gomorrah, and the king of Admah, and the king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela (the same is Zoar) and they joined battle with them in the vale of Siddim; 9 With Chedorlaomer the king of Elam, and with Tidal king of nations, and Amraphel king of Shinar, and Arioch king of Ellasar; four kings with five. 10 And the vale of Siddim was full of slimepits; and the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, and fell there; and they that remained fled to the mountain. 11 And they took all the goods of Sodom and Gomorrah, and all their victuals, and went their way. 12 And they took Lot, Abram's brother's son, who dwelt in Sodom, and his goods, and departed. 13 And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram. 14 And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan. 15 And he divided himself against them, he and his servants, by night, and smote them, and pursued them unto Hobah, which is on the left hand of Damascus. 16 And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people. 17 And the king of Sodom went out to meet him after his return from the slaughter of Chedorlaomer, and of the kings that were with him, at the valley of Shaveh, which is the king's dale."

Bolded tribes and some of the others were Nephyl (usually translated giants).
edit on 2/4/12 by troubleshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Shortly after Abraham received the promise of 'seed as the stars'...
...we read this...

Genesis 15:16 "But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full."

King Og was one of two kings of the Amonites (Joshua 2:10)...
...King Og was a giant who ruled over a kingdom of giants...
...following is a survey of texts concerning the giant King Og and Israel.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Here are some...

Numbers 21:33 "And they turned and went up by the way of Bashan: and og the king of bashan went out against them, he, and all his people, to the battle at edrei."

Numbers 32:33 "And Moses gave unto them, even to the children of Gad, and to the children of Reuben, and unto half the tribe of Manasseh the son of Joseph, the kingdom of Sihon king of the Amorites, and the kingdom of Og king of Bashan, the land, with the cities thereof in the coasts, even the cities of the country round about."

Deuteronomy 1:4 "After he had slain Sihon the king of the Amorites, which dwelt in Heshbon, and Og the king of Bashan, which dwelt at Astaroth in Edrei:"

Deuteronomy 3:1 "Then we turned, and went up the way to Bashan: and Og the king of Bashan came out against us, he and all his people, to battle at Edrei."

Deuteronomy 3:3 "So the LORD our God delivered into our hands Og also, the king of Bashan, and all his people: and we smote him until none was left to him remaining."

Deuteronomy 3:4 "And we took all his cities at that time, there was not a city which we took not from them, threescore cities, all the region of Argob, the kingdom of Og in Bashan."

Deuteronomy 3:10-12 "All the cities of the plain, and all Gilead, and all Bashan, unto Salchah and Edrei, cities of the kingdom of Og in Bashan. For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; behold his bedstead was a bedstead of iron; is it not in Rabbath of the children of Ammon? nine cubits was the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it, after the cubit of a man. And this land, which we possessed at that time, from Aroer, which is by the river Arnon, and half mount Gilead, and the cities thereof, gave I unto the Reubenites and to the Gadites."

Deuteronomy 3:12-14 "And this land, which we possessed at that time, from Aroer, which is by the river Arnon, and half mount Gilead, and the cities thereof, gave I unto the Reubenites and to the Gadites. And the rest of Gilead, and all Bashan, being the kingdom of Og, gave I unto the half tribe of Manasseh; all the region of Argob, with all Bashan, which was called the land of giants. Jair the son of Manasseh took all the country of Argob unto the coasts of Geshuri and Maachathi; and called them after his own name, Bashanhavothjair, unto this day."

Deuteronomy 4:47 "And they possessed his land, and the land of Og king of Bashan, two kings of the Amorites, which were on this side Jordan toward the sunrising;"

Deuteronomy 29:7 "And when ye came unto this place, Sihon the king of Heshbon, and Og the king of Bashan, came out against us unto battle, and we smote them:"

Deuteronomy 31:4 "And the LORD shall do unto them as he did to Sihon and to Og, kings of the Amorites, and unto the land of them, whom he destroyed.

Joshua 2:10 "For we have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red sea for you, when ye came out of Egypt; and what ye did unto the two kings of the Amorites, that were on the other side Jordan, Sihon and Og, whom ye utterly destroyed."

Joshua 9:10 "And all that he did to the two kings of the Amorites, that were beyond Jordan, to Sihon king of Heshbon, and to Og king of Bashan, which was at Ashtaroth."

Joshua 12:4 "And the coast of Og king of Bashan, which was of the remnant of the giants, that dwelt at Ashtaroth and at Edrei,"

Joshua 13:12 "All the kingdom of Og in Bashan, which reigned in Ashtaroth and in Edrei, who remained of the remnant of the giants: for these did Moses smite, and cast them out."

Joshua 13:30 "And their coast was from Mahanaim, all Bashan, all the kingdom of Og king of Bashan, and all the towns of Jair, which are in Bashan, threescore cities:"

Joshua 13:31 "And half Gilead, and Ashtaroth, and Edrei, cities of the kingdom of Og in Bashan, were pertaining unto the children of Machir the son of Manasseh, even to the one half of the children of Machir by their families."

So a major enemy of Israel were a race of post-flood giants...
...that appear to have been 'serpent seed' that were strategically placed...
...to disrupt the promise to Abraham to save the human race from being overrun by this genetically modified race.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Thanks a lot for all the info...NOT but hey, what did I expect??? Hopefully, I will learn from a reliable source.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies
I don't mean to offend, but I am sure some of you will be offended..

In the bible god apparently flooded the entire earth to drown everyone and eliminate corruption and sin.
But later rather than drown the entire world again he sends down Jesus to absorb the world of sin.

Why did he drown the entire world in the first place when he could have just sent down Jesus?

Was this brutal slaughter of mankind necessary? And why doesn’t he use the same method on us?

Does this prove that the god of the bible is not all knowing and clearly makes mistakes? Because if he was all knowing he would have known that drowning the entire world was not effective.

I don't know but usually when this comes up a given explanation is that everyone on the planet but Noah was wicked or evil or not right in some way, however you want to describe that.

Anyway. while not obvious in this story alone it's well known Jesus had to come from a certain blood line. A blood line that was at risk at being killed out or bred out of existence through marriage between the two unless God did the ark thing. In other words if God had not done it, Jesus could not have come. Kinda like a reverse Back to the Future, if you don't stop your father from being killed you'll never be born kinda thing.

There's an expression from the Bible that believers will use sometimes where they'll say that Jesus came "in the fullness of time". Meaning he came exactly when he needed to come and couldn't have come at any other time. Everything had to be set up just right so he could fulfill everything.

Like, to be crucified he had to come when crucifiction was still used and what not for example.

There are other explanations as well, but that's the most common I've heard.

There are others like, God is more like a a force of nature that you either flow with or against like a river, and in the OT all things good or bad are attributed to this force and what not. You could go on and on with all that though.
edit on 3-4-2012 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
You are really not interpreting the story correctly. You have a mis-interpretation in your mind, and that is preventing you from understanding the story.

The story tells us about a man who clearly sees the evil in the world and his heart is sad. He wants to re-populate the world with goodness, one human at a time. The ark is the female womb. The 40 days/nights of water are the amniotic fluid. When the water subsides, when the ark opens, when the new human comes into the promised land, then all mankind is presented with another opportunity to raise up a good person. The problem is that humans are animals, and animals are not all created the same. Some are just bad. That is why the more intelligent animals are at the top of the pyramid.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Two completely different times and their is no flaws, just because
you dont get it...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
because God got tired of constantly wiping out mankind, so He probably thought is was better to take the good ones that didn't want to be part of this rotten corrupt world and leave the rest to self-destruct.

You got to understand, when God starts over, it is because these human beings he wiped out where no longer human, they were lost, absolutely no humanity or goodness in them.

they would make make maximum security inmates look like saints.

i see it as an act of mercy.

that's my opinion.

edit on 3-4-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I always laugh when people say there are many interpretations of the bible. It's hilarious. How is that even possible? How the hell can there be more than one interpretation of truth? To say there is many interpretations of the bible is in itself, a complete contradiction, if they are claiming the bible as truth. Truth only has one version and when the truth is known, all interpretations of it are the exact same. I know this for a fact. Because I had a spiritual experience, or a kundalini awakening, and I woke up the next day spouting about love and oneness with the universe, without having any knowledge whatsoever, of what others said about the subject. I didn't even know it was a kundalini awakening, I learned that later. Truth is most definitely the same for everyone, and everyone that has had a kundalini awakening/ spiritual experience, says the exact same things. That we are all connected, that we are all apart of the same source. The bible is a book, written by men, it has many many valid points. But because it is written by men, it has been taken out of context, exaggerated, and made more into a fictional story for that reason. There are those that understand most of what the bible says, for it true meaning, but for the most part, we all interpret it differently which means we don't understand what it says. In order to understand anything in the bible, you must first experience your spirituality. There is no such thing as belief when you can have experience. Imagine if everyone on this planet had a kundalini awakening, there would be no more religious battles, there would be no more doubting a god, and we would evolve as a species. Peace on earth. There will never be peace, as long as there are opposing views on how we ought to live in the name of god. We need a revolution of consciousness, if we are to save this planet from ultimate destruction.
edit on 3-4-2012 by xxshadowfaxx because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-4-2012 by xxshadowfaxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

And why doesn’t he use the same method on us?

In the bible it says, God promised never to flood the earth ever again...that next time he will use fire.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
It helps if you study the origins of the Bible, from its earliest point and follow the historical context of its creation right to the present.

This is a journey you need to take on your own, there are no shortcuts and you will need to read literal translations in Aramaic, ancient Hebrew and Greek. It will take a couple years on and off but will lead to understanding the why's of your questions, it is all there.

For example the English translation is wrought with errors, mistakes and frankly incompetence. The ever popular King James was a botched project mandated by the king because he did not like other English translations that appeared to incite disobedience to the throne of England. So a more respectful version was created that did not foment revolution against the Monarchy.

There is much more than contradiction in the Bible, there are massive coverups and frauds, complete conflict between Hebrew and Christianity, political expedience, genocides and worse. The problem is of course fraud of its origins and is reason so many issues and contradictions exist, the origin must stay hidden.

But start at the beginning, with origins of Hebrew Alphabet which means you need to start with history of Phoenicia and its control of ocean based trading. They are the main driving force of books in old testament and spread stories of flood to the Hebrew people, and you will discover that hymns and psalms are Phoenician, not Hebrew, that many books in the Old testament are based on Phoenician culture and history.
You should study the City of Ugarit and Ugaritic Literature and this will provide insight to the balance of Old testament and prepare for what you find regarding the New testament.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

Perhaps he was having his period?
I have no answer to your question, also im pondering something someone else said on this site earlier, how did Noah get two of each animal to go onto the ark? How did he get a polar bear? sorry, two polar bears?

Not enough hands for all the face palms...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

And why doesn’t he use the same method on us?

In the bible it says, God promised never to flood the earth ever again...that next time he will use fire.

Yes, just as John the Baptist stated concerning a person "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:"

Just as fire burns away impurities, those who strive with God have their every thought and action seared in order to reconcile as one with Christ as He was one with Father.

The same applies to the Earth. It was submerged in water with the flood, and will be cleansed with fire.

Peter stated "By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men."

God flooded the world in judgement of ungodly and wicked men once, and this time the world will be judged and and purged of ungodly and wicked men with fire.

OP, this is why there are many 'interpretations' of the Noah event. To non-believers, they appear as contradictions, but believers are simply in different stages of understanding. Scriptures slowly reveal God and His Divine plan. The more we seek His understanding and teaching, the more is given.

The collective memory of the flood in nearly every culture is a REMINDER of that judgement. But unfortunately today, the belief on the street is that it is a 'fable'. The world wants us to believe its lies instead of God's truth, and scripture clearly states that evil once again rises in all forms as we are seeing around us today. As Christ said "There truly is nothing new under the sun." Many Noah's are preaching the coming judgements today, but as in Noah's day, the warnings are ignored and sneered at by the masses who will be swept away because they didn't love the truth. Those that truly love the truth will seek Him. They will put aside the doubts given to them by this world, humble themselves, and approach the throne of God for His Truth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join