It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone please explain this bible contradiction?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I don't mean to offend, but I am sure some of you will be offended..

In the bible god apparently flooded the entire earth to drown everyone and eliminate corruption and sin.
But later rather than drown the entire world again he sends down Jesus to absorb the world of sin.

Why did he drown the entire world in the first place when he could have just sent down Jesus?

Was this brutal slaughter of mankind necessary? And why doesn’t he use the same method on us?

Does this prove that the god of the bible is not all knowing and clearly makes mistakes? Because if he was all knowing he would have known that drowning the entire world was not effective.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
According to the bible, God made the Rainbow Covenant with Noah, and promised never to flood the world again. As to the question of why God didn't just send Jesus then instead of flooding the earth?
...I guess only God knows that one...

There are many interpretations of the Bible and associated text. Whether a person believes the words as true or false will change the answer to the questions. Personally, I think the Bible is only partially correct. Taking it as a literal truth is not how it was intended to be used, and only with proper translations will the words ever be completly understood....and modern interpretations aren't even close.

edit on 2-4-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
According to the bible, God made the Rainbow Covenant with Noah, and promised never to flood the world again. As to the question of why God didn't just send Jesus then instead of flooding the earth?
...I guess only God knows that one.

So you would agree this is a huge flaw in the bible?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Basically you've got the Old Testament and the New testament written by completely different people at different times. It's not one book written by one person. There are a lot of metaphors and shreds of oral traditions in the Old Testament that go way back far beyond a few Jewish tribes. If you take them literally you are missing the point.

This kind of thing is typical. Someone takes the Bible literally and shows, quite correctly, that there are many contradictions, therefore they conclude that "The Bible is false." Given what we think we know about the origins of the Bible, I can't think of any conclusion that is more simplistic than that.
edit on 4/2/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
this is less of a contradiction, more of a "humans don't understand god's plan" issue.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

Of course it's a flaw. The whole book is filled with them. The contradictions in the Bible are part of the key to understanding the hidden meanings within the words. When you look deep enough, you'll notice oddities that don't make sense. Look at them close. They are leading you to something hidden......An example of something hidden: you'll see that Holy Ghost=Water Mist or Fog if you look hard enough.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

This is a deep question and one that wont satisfy you without a thorough understanding of the Bible and God's time economy and understanding of God's dispensation periods. There are many dispensation periods of how God allowed His creation to do things. We are definitely not robots and He definitely loves us but the main problem is sin, Adam and Eve allowed sin to enter a perfect world and through them it has remain through the deception of satan who stands to accuse every man.

At the time of the flood man was corrupted by the nephilim which were fallen angels and giants came from (at that time). God saw how people were utterly corrupted morally and sexually at that time and spared only Noah and his family and animals. The Mosaic Law didnt even exist at that time, also like the other person who posted said, God was did not enjoy the flood and promised he would never do it to the earth again.

The tribulation period that is coming is going to be far worse than the flood could possible be,... this is a result once again of man accepting satan and all his wickedness and lies.

My advice is to watch the Chuck Missler "Return of the Nephilim" series on YouTube and it will give you a good background for your question and hopefully you will see it isnt a contradiction.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Basically you've got the Old Testament and the New testament written by completely different people at different times. It's not one book written by one person. There are a lot of metaphors and shreds of oral traditions in the Old Testament that go way back far beyond a few Jewish tribes. If you take them literally you are missing the point.

This kind of thing is typical. Someone takes the Bible literally and shows, quite correctly, that there are many contradictions, therefore they conclude that "The Bible is false." Given what we think we know about the origins of the Bible, I can't think of any conclusion that is more simplistic than that.
edit on 4/2/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

I am not the one who says that the bible is fact,
if the bible is what people claim then this is a huge contradiction.
People who believe the bible do not doubt that jesus was real, and when you read the flood part it is clearly not being metaphorical.

Rather then change the subject why not address the contradiction

That is the thing about the bible isn't it.
You can change the meaning of the bible to suit the situation.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Dear IgnorantSpecies,

According to the Old Testament, prior to the flood the human species interbred with the fallen angels (Nephilim) and created hybrids. It is believed that is the reason that they were destroyed. Jesus was sent hear to save humans and not fallen angels, they have already chosen their fate. In the New Testament it says that the last days will be like the time of Noah, many believe that this references the mixing of species will occur again. In the end the story of the bible is about how we interact with one another and with God. Relationships develop over time by the choices we make. Peace.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
this is less of a contradiction, more of a "humans don't understand god's plan" issue.
I think the bible is quite specific and straightforward on this issue.
If you read the flood part it is clearly not being metaphorical and describes gods plan perfectly.

And when 99% of bible followers believe the Jesus part there shouldn't be much argument there.

Why not address the contradiction rather then avoid the issue?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies
I don't mean to offend, but I am sure some of you will be offended..

In the bible god apparently flooded the entire earth to drown everyone and eliminate corruption and sin.
But later rather than drown the entire world again he sends down Jesus to absorb the world of sin.

Why did he drown the entire world in the first place when he could have just sent down Jesus?

Was this brutal slaughter of mankind necessary? And why doesn’t he use the same method on us?

Does this prove that the god of the bible is not all knowing and clearly makes mistakes? Because if he was all knowing he would have known that drowning the entire world was not effective.

..why would someone be offended OP ? sounds like a legal question no ?

perhaps... the flood happened, because there simply werent enough humans to die for..?
- i guess what wás walking around, was mostly offspring from evil, ' genetic defect ', impossible to be saved, anyway

..that may sound harsh... But we really dont know much about ' tainted dna '.. Perhaps the dna was so tainted - giants who murdered eachother for pleasure, cannibalism, etc - that it was ' unredeemable ' ?

but 5000 y later, the situation was a different one - because of the (redeemable) offspring of noah multiplied

just a thought

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Some believe that the Earth, at that time, was overrun by the direct descendents of fallen Angels, or the Nephilim and that the flood was a way to cleanse the earth.

Jesus, on the other hand, came to reconcile man with God.

it's not really a contradiction, seeing as they would serve two different purposes.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
God is evil!
There, I said it!

edit on 2-4-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
God is evil!
There, I said it!

edit on 2-4-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

HAHA! Feel better now?
I bet you've been holding that one in for a a long time!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

You're dealing with two completely different contexts.

First of all, you have the Noah context, not long after Man's initial disobedience. This was even before Abraham, Moses, and the Old Covenant.
The Old Covenant did two things: 1) it showed God's people just how impossible it is for us to be righteous according to God's Law; and 2) it typified and prepared the way for the perfection that would come.
The Old Covenant was needed to prepare God's people for the New Covenant.

And, now, we have the Christ context. Christ came to establish perfection and righteousness, bringing in the New Covenant of Grace. Christ came at his appointed time - when the Israelites had become thoroughly wicked and hypocritical.

So, God destroyed the wicked at the time of Noah because the time had not come yet for Christ to be sent.
And, moreover, we also see that the Flood was just another example of what was to come under Christ. You may look at it and see the needless murder of a bunch of people, but it was much more than that. 1 Peter 3:20-21 -- "... God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also — not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

The water that cleansed the earth of sin in the days of Noah represented the water that now cleanses the faithful of sin by the blood of Christ.
edit on 2-4-2012 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I asked this years ago when I was becoming a Christian. While I am now a Christian Mystic Nondualist, you basically found out that there were many early Christian groups that attributed the God of the OT to be a lower Demiurge who gets angry, spiteful, jealous, and so on.

While The God of the NT is Transcendent, Loving, Infinite, and full of Grace.

Other explanations that have satisfied me were also that people attributed things as having been done by God even though they weren't. Just like Muslims say God commands them and told them to Kill or Bomb for whatever reasons..... so the the authors of the OT say that God commanded them to kill non Jewish armies, kill their children, and take their women for themselves

There are alot of things in the OT I dont agree with and they sicken me. I just leave the OT to Judaism and stick with the NT and everything Jesus based, along with meditation, going within, and I study other religions/paths and compare them to Christianity which has actually deepened my path and walk w/ Christ.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

You see, Yahuwah our creator did not destroy all the world, there were 8 souls left on an ark. This was part of a plan from the beginning that mankind would nearly be destroyed by water, then at last fire in the last day. And Yahuwah knows that man would rise up again and unrepent and He would have to destroy evil one last time on judgment day.

The world was not made for man to only live for a a couple thousand years, but about 7000 years. Like the covenant Yahuwah made with Adam, the world was to live out its lifespan of about this much time, its says something like 5,500 years,as this is from the forbidden books of Adam and Eve. I cannot say for exactly sure, as these books are not translated the best, and I havent seen any originals of them either and dont totally understand what is written.

Now the Messiah Yahuwshwuwah, was not meant to come down in the beginning and save mankind right off the bat. We were given a space of time to repent, and part of the will of the Father was to send His Son at an appointed time later.

No contradictions, just this is the plan that was made from the beginning. No mistakes, just those who are not filled with the spirit of Yahuwah will not understand.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife
how did Noah get two of each animal to go onto the ark? How did he get a polar bear? sorry, two polar bears?

Must have emptied a few local zoo's, brought in some cargo ships and flew some jets in from the Safari. God was one helluva guy

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
As so many pointed out, the reason for the flood was to cleanse the earth of the Nephillium and Raphium... the half breed children of the fallen angel and human cross breeding.

Man and his genetics had become so desecrated that God chose to destroy all on the earth that were corrupted. If you read carefully in the King James version, it states that Noah was " perfect in his generations"... he had not been contaminated.

Further, read the Book of Enoch, a book referenced by Jesus and part of the Bible up until the 1400s. It describes the decline of man, the influx of the Nephillium, and the subsequent chaos and destruction and spiral downward into cannibalism and sexual depravity.

This is the reason for the flood. Further, prior to the text describing the flood... read that the nephillium were in the world before the flood and afterward... they were giants in those days.

After the flood, and the exile and migration from Egypt of the Israelites... we read of Joshua entering Canaan and finding ... Giants. The settled in what is Northern Israel and Lebannon.... Baalbek is just one city of giants... the other one of several was Jericho...that is why God told Joshua to destroy all the inhabitants there.

No contradictions here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join