It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dem Gov Granholm Signed 'Stand Your Ground' in 2006; Blames Republicans Now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Dem Gov Granholm Signed 'Stand Your Ground' in 2006; Blames Republicans Now

Jennifer Granholm, former Governor of Michigan,
and currently a host on Current TV, actually signed into law
Michigan's “stand your ground” law in 2006.

But recently, she has been blaming Republicans.......

Some people never get it.

Breitbart

Interestingly enough, one of the states to pass a “stand your ground” law was Michigan, where Democrat Gov. Jennifer Granholm signed the legislation into law in 2006. Yet amid the anti-gun rhetoric that has proliferated since the Martin shooting—rhetoric which has included innuendo aimed at tarnishing stand your ground laws and then pinning the blame for their existence on Republicans—Granholm has been talking as if she had nothing to do with the passage of the Michigan law.

As a matter of fact, on March 29, Granholm, who now hosts a show on Current TV, “broadcast three separate segments blaming Republicans for ‘the type of [gun] laws that permit George Zimmerman to walk free today.’” (The last time I saw duplicity at such levels, I was watching a video of Barack Obama telling voters that Hillary Clinton was a dangerous candidate because she wanted to implement a healthcare system which Obama himself is now trying to implement as president.)

The bottom line: Granholm signed stand your ground legislation into law while Governor of Michigan. And she knows what every honest politician who’s read the data knows—namely, that stand your ground laws take the advantage away from the criminal and give it back to the citizens. It is the height of hypocrisy for her to talk and act otherwise now.

Stand Your Ground

Stand Your Ground laws seem to be in favor of "not retreating" when confronted by life threatening situations.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
i wouldn't blame republicans in general or her i would blame the people responsible for the law in the first place... The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)

The organization connects corporate leaders with state lawmakers to draft "model bills" for legislators to replicate, introduce across the country and ultimately pass into law, state by state.

www.theroot.com...
edit on 2-4-2012 by TheGuyFawkes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Its the first law of politics: Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Besides, with most of the media out there and their left-wing, anti-gun bias, do you really think anyone's gonna call her on this on any of the major MSM networks?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Stand your ground laws, if properly applied, are good. The only reason it's relevance is even being questioned is because nobody knows the exact circumstances as applied in the Martin/Zimmerman case.

It's not a perfect law and I hope that I never have to invoke it's terms in my own defense, but it's comforting to know that if I ever do need to defend myself the law will be there watching my back.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Zimmerman's own lawyer says that "stand your ground" doesn't apply to the Zimmerman/Martin shooting.

Give it up already...explore outside of Breitbart once in awhile.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGuyFawkes
i wouldn't blame republicans in general or her i would blame the people responsible for the law in the first place... The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)

The organization connects corporate leaders with state lawmakers to draft "model bills" for legislators to replicate, introduce across the country and ultimately pass into law, state by state.

www.theroot.com...

That's a good point and link to ALEC.

I wonder if they specifically wrote some "Stand Your Ground" laws ?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

they didnt specifically write the stand your ground law they wrote the castle doctrine act which lead to the stand your ground law i think
alecexposed.org...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGuyFawkes

they didnt specifically write the stand your ground law they wrote the castle doctrine act which lead to the stand your ground law i think
alecexposed.org...

There we go.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

heres another good article on it

The law extends what has been called the Castle Doctrine — that a person has the right to defend his or her home with force — to apply to people outside of the home, removing the so-called “duty to retreat.” The Florida law explicitly states that no such duty exists in the state. The provision appears as part of the Florida law on the justifiable use of force by citizens.

thelede.blogs.nytimes.com...

new topics

top topics

join