It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism and the 21st century - media, organisers and agenda?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Interesting topic, in my opinion. Here we are in the 21st century and it would seem that racism is alive and well. I say this especially with the HUGE media hype with regards to the recent shooting of the young black male in Florida. I really find it disgusting that leaders in the black community have really gone overboard with stirring the pot, especially with groups like the Black Panthers offering cash rewards for the "Dead or Alive" arrest of the person of interest in this case. I also find it digusting that the media is swaying the minds of the public before it even goes to court!! What happened to justice is blind with regards to race, religion, creed, etc? How can the courts even think for one minute that a fair jury - no matter what the case is, can actually be found with the media hype? My question is why? Shouldn't we, as a species and country really be beyond such trivial matters? I do not hear anything in the news with regards to the young child that severely burned a few months ago. Why is that? I find it sad that in this day and age people just cannot let it go, and instead of focusing on "race" focus on the wrong and allow the courts to correct if necessary the situation. How about your thoughts? Why do we still see this Middle Age ideology in the 21st century?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Calling the New Black Panther party "leaders" in the black community is like calling the KKK a leader in the white community.

The issue should have nothing to do with race, it should have to do with whether a child was murdered or not. Which it really is about that to racially neutral people. Society is sensitive to children being murdered, ie; see Casey Anthony.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

Racism = Money
Racism = Power

Let me explain.

My theory is that people, in general, are going less and less racist. People in general are getting tired of all the issues surrounding it.

But political leaders, social leaders, community organizers, religious leaders, media leaders need racism.

It generates revenue.
It creates issues that politicians need for votes.
It creates issues that elevate ambitious amoral people that want power.

Racism is the ladder that some people use to climb towards success.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Calling the New Black Panther party "leaders" in the black community is like calling the KKK a leader in the white community.

The issue should have nothing to do with race, it should have to do with whether a child was murdered or not. Which it really is about that to racially neutral people. Society is sensitive to children being murdered, ie; see Casey Anthony.

True. My intent was to seperate the leaders (ie jackson, etc) from fringe elements (Panthers), so I stand corrected. Ok, but what about the young white child burned almost to death by young black kids? Basically why the hype for one and not the other? Shouldn't justice be blind and a crime is a crime no matter who you are?

Even with Casey Anthony I blame the MEDIA for allowing this matter to go unpunished. To what extent may have Anthony been found guilty if it had not turned into a Nancy Grace media hype? To what degree does the media sway the minds of others? I would say they are the chief culprits. I really wish that state laws would enforce not talking about cases BEFORE they have gone to court and making mole hills into mountains.

Ask yourself this other question - why does the media focus on these instances when thousands of people die everyday in America from black on black, white on white, black on white, white on black, brown on black, brown on white, etc, etc, etc.? I just can't stand to watch the news anymore, its really become a farce and I really wish people would tune this crap out and stop swallowing the hype hook, line and sinker.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Racism = Money
Racism = Power

Let me explain.

My theory is that people, in general, are going less and less racist. People in general are getting tired of all the issues surrounding it.

But political leaders, social leaders, community organizers, religious leaders, media leaders need racism.

It generates revenue.
It creates issues that politicians need for votes.
It creates issues that elevate ambitious amoral people that want power.

Racism is the ladder that some people use to climb towards success.

You are right. Have you ever noticed how the leaders of groups all tend to be older men and women who try to sway the younger generations or taint the younger generations into believing the same crap as them? It is almost like the older generations just can't let the past go, when in fact that is the first step that needs to be taken.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
this is getting old quick!
i see a black person,i see a black person
i see a white person,i see a white person
i see an indian person,i see an indian person
i see an asian person i see an asian person
that is all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i 'd like to think most of the ats crew would agree with this.
you talk about the media perpetuating racial differences but there is damn well enough of it going on at this site!!!
do you want a race war???? where are the mods on this kinda stuff???
you fan the flames of this crap fire with all of these kinds of posts.
i'm white,my girl is black,our kids are mixed. our friends are of different cultures.
but we all have the same mantality there is only one race --- HUMAN!
treat people the way you want to be treated no matter what colour they are.
you propigate different cultures thinking differently about one another by posting this stuff.
i guess the media is working!
peace

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

peace friend,glad someone here can see thru the bullsh//.!
kkk dont speak for my people,and either does the media

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Jesee Jackson isn't a leader of anything. There is no leader for a race, I'm sorry...It doesn't exist. Who is the leader for the white race?

swimmingagainstthecurrentdotcom.wordpress.com...

If you are talking about this story then they are quite different cases. That one is child on child crime. And the assailants are still unknown. There is no one to target. People are still going to be outraged by both crimes. One has a known perpetrator, the other one doesn't and probably never will. They quite differ in social dynamics.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Jesee Jackson isn't a leader of anything. There is no leader for a race, I'm sorry...It doesn't exist. Who is the leader for the white race?

If you are talking about this story then they are quite different cases. That one is child on child crime. And the assailants are still unknown. There is no one to target. People are still going to be outraged by both crimes. One has a known perpetrator, the other one doesn't and probably never will. They quite differ in social dynamics.

Ok, lets not split hairs, and I don't want this going down the wrong road. I am just regurgitating what the media has been saying. Bascially, why do events like this foment problems between people and differing races? Please don't say that I'm full of crap because I have observed this on the media and even whilst talking to and hearing people talk.

Even without this case, getting back to the Anthony case, should not the media stay out of the equation? I believe the media is responsible for many bad outcomes...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Jesse Louis Jackson, Sr. (born October 8, 1941) is an African-American civil rights activist and Baptist minister. He was a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1984 and 1988 and served as shadow senator for the District of Columbia from 1991 to 1997. He was the founder of both entities that merged to form Rainbow/PUSH. Representative Jesse Jackson, Jr. is his eldest son. In an AP-AOL "Black Voices" poll in February 2006, Jackson was voted "the most important black leader".[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is an interesting article. Interesting how stereotypes play such a large role.

www.yale.edu...

www.fair.org...

I still have a hard time understanding how people can get sucked into this?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

People are largely frustrated, angry and fearful due to the horrible state of the economy, the lack of jobs, decent pay, benefits, endless wars, government run amok.
Racism makes a handy outlet for that anger and a diversion from the real problems that most of us are facing. Small wonder TPTB want us at each other's throats instead of theirs since most of our current problems are of their making.
This may prove a crucial time in America where either we lay aside this nonsense about color or watch the inner cities burn in a fit of rage.
Things are much worse now than they were back in '02. If things blow up it's going to be very, very tragic and the LA riots will look like a schoolyard fight in comparison to what might happen.
Maybe that will give them the excuse they always wanted to establish martial law and completely destroy freedom in this country.
It's hard to imagine the public taking too much more of this abuse before taking some kind of mass action.

In my heart I believe the vast majority of Americans (of all colors) are not racists and won't fall for this baiting by the media.

That Yale article from 91 is spot on:

Conclusions

The media have and will continue to portray a self-serving negative stereotype of the African-American community. The societal and economic factors of racism have become more than just a bias. They are also a profitable industry, in which the elite will continue to suppress the lower class in order to maximize profits. According to Harvard professor Cornell West, 1 percent of the elite holds some 48 percent of America's wealth. This means that media, racism, and stereotypes will continue to be employed so that those elite can be sure of their continuing economic stability.
www.yale.edu...

Now the 1% holds 94% of the Nation's wealth.
This problem won't be solved by the media, business or the government.
edit on 2-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added link

top topics

join