It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Hollywood bear some responsibilty for the death of Trayvon Martin?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Is there a perception in the American psyche that hoodies equal criminal activities?

So many television crime dramas portray serial killers and stalkers wearing hoodies to hide their identities.

Did this perception, fostered by Hollywood, influence the confrontation between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin (Martin was wearing a hoodie.)

What do you think?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
No.

If someone can't understand why someone is wearing a hoodie while it is raining outside then the person is mentally deranged or disabled.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
No.

If someone can't understand why someone is wearing a hoodie while it is raining outside then the person is mentally deranged or disabled.

I'm not saying Zimmerman bears no responsibility for what he did. My point is that the perception of someone wearing a hoodie is up to no good may have contributed to the tragedy. A perception fostered by Hollywood.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Does Hollywood bear some responsibilty for the death of Trayvon Martin?

No, Zimmerman does, and he has the right to a fair trial to determine if he was a murderer or if he was defending himself. I get a little tired of how personal responsibility is always removed from the equation these days and blame is placed on Hollywood, or the government, or society, etc.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
i think i have seen more videos of people wearing hoodies robbing stores(on the news) then people in hoodies commiting crimes in movies so hollywood might be innocent of this one

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 1PLA1

If Zimmerman is stupid enough to take a hollywood stereotype and apply it to real life...then the blame is still on Zimmerman.

Take your pick...Zimmerman is responsible...now you just get to decide if it was his stupidity, his ego, or his hate was the cause of his actions.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Why do they call it a hoodie in the first place?
...maybe it's derived from hoodlum or dare I say, da hood?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Or...maybe...it's a long shot...but maybe...because it has a hood on it???

Just a wild guess.

The word "hoodlum" has been around longer than "hoodies" have been around describing gangsters all the way back to the 1800's.

The phrase "da hood" derives from "neighborHOOD".

So yeah...I'd say you are just reaching for more trash.
edit on 2-4-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 1PLA1

I have to reply again...just because of the ridiculousness of this whole notion that hollywood is responsible.

Have you watched movies...if you have...and you believe your theory...you should be very very scared of men wearing suits.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I guess you could say its Hollywood and Candy.

Looks like Trayvon in a rap commercial fo Reese's puffs.

Trayvon on horse with Reese's shirt on.

Trayvon killed with a bag of Skittles.

edit on 2-4-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by Alxandro

Or...maybe...it's a long shot...but maybe...because it has a hood on it???

Just a wild guess.

The word "hoodlum" has been around longer than "hoodies" have been around describing gangsters all the way back to the 1800's.

The phrase "da hood" derives from "neighborHOOD".

So yeah...I'd say you are just reaching for more trash.
edit on 2-4-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

Great wild guess and thanks for the word origination bit too, great knack for the obvious.

but still it leads me to ask, maybe the hoodie comes from both of what you just explained, the best of both derivations?
That would mean it comes from "Gangsta from the neighborHOOD"

Makes perfect sense now, many thanks.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Really odd to point out the portrayal of hoods in movies as problem.
Guns and mayhem and trigger happy heros, are a hollywood staple. wouldn't this be a more obvious bad creative choice.

Anyway , No, hollywood has nothing to do with this.
The MSM however has responsibility for polarizing public perception in this case.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
It was raining that night, so it makes sense that Martin has his hood up. Hoodies are very acceptable gear among outdoor athletes, such as football players, joggers, etc.

Hollywood's contribution might have been the DEATH WISH movies with Charles Bronson, which even included scenes in which Bronson dry gulched some teen or 20-something into committing a minor crime and then killing him for it -- and getting away with it.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by 1PLA1

If Zimmerman is stupid enough to take a hollywood stereotype and apply it to real life...then the blame is still on Zimmerman.

A lot of people in the U.S. take hollywood stereotypes and apply them to real life. That is why so many people are anti-big business; anti-conservative ideas; anti-white men.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'm still seeing a lot of bad guys on tv wearing hoodies.

As for being afraid of men in suits, I don't see many of them walking around late at night where they should not be.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I thought hoodies was a brit thing?
www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 5-11-2012 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

I don't know about the brits, but I see a lot of hoodie wearing bad guys on American crime shows.
Especially NCIS and CSI.

join