It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 50 feet snake, the titanoboa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Scientists have found the remains of a 50 feet snake which used to live 58 million years ago and weighted a ton:

www.bbc.co.uk...

I saw it and I figure you would be interested. Apparently it was the largest predator after the dinosaurs for over 10 million years. And they claim that with global warming and a couple of million years to develop, we could eventually see this sort of creature roaming the world again.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Cool article. That thing would be amazing to hunt! I wonder though, did these scientists just admit that it was warmer and 50% more CO2 back then? How could that be? Were those snakes driving Ford Explorers or something?

link   
Damn that's a big snake. I'm sure somewhere out in some untouched rain forest there are snakes close to this size. Maybe not but you never know. That is where I can truly only see them getting that big now and in the future.

link   
Thats if there was such a thing as global warming but we all know that is a bunch of crap!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Speaking of ancient specimens, I read on here a while back about some kind of ancient giant octopus. Apparently the Octopus body is soft and doesn't leave behind fossils. However, some archaeologists found evidence of fossilized beaks and concluded from the size that the body was roughly 30 meters in length. They also found fossilized ichthyosaurs arranged in a circular pattern around it's "cave" with sucker marks that suggested the fish had their necks snapped before being eaten. Does anyone else remember this? Does anyone else think that animals on Earth are getting smaller for survival purposes?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Thats one big snake i bet he did slither out to start his reign of terror ..I hope this snake never makes a return..Thanks for the thread ,peace,sugarcookie1
S&F

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
I wonder though, did these scientists just admit that it was warmer and 50% more CO2 back then?

You need to look at the PETM (Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum) EECO (Early Eocene Climatic Optimum) MECO (Middle Eocene Climatic Optimum) etc. Yes, there are periods in the past warmer than now, but one also has to realise that the impact of humans since the Industrial Revolution is measurable and above background.

To the OP: what a great find. It would have been exciting to be one of the paleontologists involved...awesome stuff!
edit on 2-4-2012 by aorAki because: spellink

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by questforevidence
Speaking of ancient specimens, I read on here a while back about some kind of ancient giant octopus. Apparently the Octopus body is soft and doesn't leave behind fossils. However, some archaeologists found evidence of fossilized beaks and concluded from the size that the body was roughly 30 meters in length. They also found fossilized ichthyosaurs arranged in a circular pattern around it's "cave" with sucker marks that suggested the fish had their necks snapped before being eaten. Does anyone else remember this? Does anyone else think that animals on Earth are getting smaller for survival purposes?

Very interested in hearing more about this if anyone can find anything, I was unable to find anything but am intrigued.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This is awesome. Reticulated pythons and anacondas get to be 30 feet so 50 would not be too difficult to imagine. Even though thats still almost 100% bigger than the largest modern snake. Anacondas are seen eaing camiens (sp) those slightly smaller crocodile looking creatures from the amazon. SO I have no doubt that titanboa would have snacked on full grown alligators and crocks. Hell a titanboa would have no problem killing and eating a kodiac bear. Sweet find.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I can imagine that being a very dangerous foe if you were a small animal in the same ecosystem.
Who knows what hotter climates in the future will bring, perhaps mammals will become huge!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This look like a giant Anaconda

apx the same size has the ones in the movie

there is probably in the deep jungle a big one just like that
we never know

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Has anyone heard of that giant spider that allegedley lives in africa thats as big as a man if it reers up, i think it was called the jba fofi meaning great spider. The pigmy tribes apprently used to hunt them i doubt that it exists.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracySquid7

Hi Conspiricysquid7, I remember the thread here on ATS, I Think it was Called "The Lair Of The Kraken". Great thread in and of itself. Namaste
Arjunanda

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

did these scientists just admit that it was warmer and 50% more CO2 back then? How could that be?

Sigh, the land masses were different, all the land was centered around the equator and there were no icecaps, so it was warmer. You can't compare ancient times to today's climate.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jack666

I've never heard of that but now the image is creeping me out.

That snake is unbelievable. If you saw it you could mistake it for a fallen tree. Until it starts moving. Then you'd probably run for your life.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
That's very interesting. That's a huge snake! Wouldn't like to bump into one of those babies while traveling. It's no surprise there use to be a snake that big. Back then animals use to be bigger because they had many land and no humans to share it with. With humans industrializing and taking up land to make companies, it shrunk the animals. They adapted to their small environment.

top topics

join